User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Creative Buckingham transforms nostalgia into compelling show

Twenty minutes after Lindsey Buckingham was supposed to start playing at the Washington Pavilion Wednesday night, the former Fleetwood Mac frontman was nowhere near the stage.

Argusleader.com
By Robert Morast
rmorast@argusleader.com

Twenty minutes after Lindsey Buckingham was supposed to start playing at the Washington Pavilion Wednesday night, the former Fleetwood Mac frontman was nowhere near the stage.

With the memory of Buckingham flaking out at a recent Lincoln, Neb., concert because of an inadequate sound system, you had to wonder if the rock star was, well, being a rock star.

Five minutes later Buckingham walked on stage alone wearing blue jeans, a black jacket and a black shirt exposing some chest hair. And with just an acoustic guitar, the musician started a concert that was well worth the wait and a tribute to the idea that classic rock artists don't have to rely on nostalgia to gain applause.

Starting with the intricate, busy guitar picking of "Not Too Long" - the lead track on Buckingham's 2006 solo disc "Under the Skin" - the concert was more an exhibition of manic creativity as it was a reason to reap the memories of Fleetwood Mac's past.

Moving to his song "Trouble" Buckingham displayed the ability to still mine passion from familiar lyrics with a voice that's technically proficient but shaped by the rough edges of imperfection.

That sincerity gave the Fleetwood Mac tune "Never Going Back Again" renewed life as a world-weary document of experience - as opposed to perfunctory schlock.

"Big Love" was just as alive as Buckingham gave us the acoustic version heard on the band's reunion record "The Dance." A contrast of anxious guitar picking and a smooth vocal melody, the song felt like love - at once nervous and soothing.

The song also showed one of Buckingham's more important traits as his guitar work was flashy and impressive without becoming an ostentatious extension of ego.

The sensible attitude extended to the audience in a playful display that had Buckingham pausing from the performance to chat with a woman in the front row.

Back on stage, and with a band backing him, Buckingham dipped into the Mac's catalog to create a living art display that ripped passion from Buckingham's introspective ideals and mainstream eccentricity.

"Red Rover" channeled former Mac guitarist Peter Green's acid-mania with a Captain Beefheart-like growl in the repeated chorus line of "Red Rover/We're comin' to Take You Over."

Later, "Tusk" evolved into a dynamic piece that played like a Broadway showtune wrapped in dark pop melodies.

"Go Your Own Way" was less crazy and sounded fine. But it sorely missed Stevie Nicks' sharp harmonies and came off kind of flat until Buckingham ended the song - and his set - with a solo that shifted from shrilly upper register work to ZZ Top-like crunch.

With the houselights still down, an encore was expected. But as Buckingham came back out and picked his way into the "Vacation" theme song "Holiday Road," it was easy to marvel at the "serious" musician saving one of his most poppy and simple songs for last.

And though the performance was a traditional take on "Holiday Road," Buckingham ended the popular song by barking at the audience and commanding listeners to "bark like a dog."

It was odd. But cool. And refreshing that a classic rocker doesn't find sacrilege in morphing his music into compelling, fascinating art.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks for posting that review.

I'm wondering if the writer was using the "20 minutes after he was supposed to be on stage..." comment for dramatics. If the show is supposed to start at 9 pm, all the times I've seen Lindsey, he actually doesn't start until 25 minutes after what's posted on the ticket, so if he walked onto the stage at 25 minutes after what was posted on the ticket, he was right on time.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Not Too Long"
Thanks MacMan.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
[B]

... And with just an acoustic guitar, the musician started a concert that was well worth the wait and a tribute to the idea that classic rock artists don't have to rely on nostalgia to gain applause.

.... refreshing that a classic rocker doesn't find sacrilege in morphing his music into compelling, fascinating art.
I particularly liked these two observations in the review.

So Lindsey started the concert with Not Too Long...hmmm...Not Too Late?

What was this reviewer smoking? Probably was still mifted that the concert started a shocking 25 minutes after what was printed on the ticket...and then forgot the name of the song.

Still I like the observation that Lindsey's show hasn't developed into a "lounge act".
Old 07-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
I particularly liked these two observations in the review.

So Lindsey started the concert with Not Too Long...hmmm...Not Too Late?

What was this reviewer smoking? Probably was still mifted that the concert started a shocking 25 minutes after what was printed on the ticket...and then forgot the name of the song.

Still I like the observation that Lindsey's show hasn't developed into a "lounge act".
I wonder what the subject matter could be if the song was entitled "It's Not Too Long." Crap, now I can't stop my mind from conjuring up dirty alternative lyrics.

The lounge act quote reminded me what Lindsey said in an interview way back in 1981: his Law and Order album was out and Stevie was doing her Bella Donna shows. He commented about his work verses what she was doing, and he mentioned that her live show bordered on a lounge act!

At the time, I admit, I agreed. It was very disconcerting hearing her Fleetwood Mac songs recast in solo mode. It took some getting used to. Yet in retrospect, those Bella Donna shows had a large proportion of new music - 10 new songs, and 4 Fleetwood Mac songs, plus a cover song (and I don't think anyone went away feeling short changed that she didn't perform Landslide).

If the term lounge act is most applicable in any era of her career, it is now! I'm really happy to see Lindsey continuously shake the dust off of things and truely embrace his new music.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-01-2007 at 11:43 AM..