Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
I wonder which color panties Stevie picked this morning...
Comedic GOLD!
Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Registered

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Well, I'm not long back from my summer holiday. Tried to avoid looking in here as much as possible while I was away. Since I've been back I haven't felt the need to participate in the (now) rather dull and pointless merry-go-round discussions in the Fleetwood Mac forum. Sad to see politics and religion banned from chit chat- hmmm...seems to have made this place something of an arid-dry ghost town.

Sigh.
So eloquently put.

maybe we should stick to such benign topics as I wonder which color panties Stevie picked this morning, , did Christine eat mango for breakfast,will Lindsey lay down a solo for a Stevie if Dave produced it providing she records something. And had Mick spent all the money we gave him ?
Free speech is dead. #T's'Merica
Old 08-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We're already on life-support here and this might
pull the plug.

But if I owned the site or was a moderator I'd
probably get tired of it.

So what to do?
Old 08-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Registered

The
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
We're already on life-support here and this might
pull the plug.

But if I owned the site or was a moderator I'd
probably get tired of it.

So what to do?
Censorship is a sure way to end it . If it is hate speech ban the user... But let the Adults converse . If the user is uncomfortable tell them to avoid the topic.

The message board is a dying forum..but there is enough of us. Intelligent to maintain adult conversation. If it is an issue or adult topics are upsetting,

Resign or log out.

I will probably be banned... But as I have always said," someone had to say it "

Last edited by olive; 08-21-2016 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: To be Honest
Old 08-22-2016, 02:59 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Free speech is dead. #T's'Merica
Quote:
The message board is a dying forum..but there is enough of us. Intelligent to maintain adult conversation. If it is an issue or adult topics are upsetting, resign or log out.
Freedom of speech only applies to the government's censorship of what you have to say. Forums aren't Thunderdome. They all have rules. This stuff isn't new. Besides I've never seen any other outcome than for such threads to turn ugly, or personal. It's all good to claim you'll behave like an adult and that you'll remain so, but you can't vouch for all the others who will wander into the thread.

The real question is, why can you not discuss politics where there's a designated place for it or better yet a political forum? It seems the real rub for some might be that they can't have political discussions here, on the Ledge. There seems to be no other reason for it other than that they just want to. Besides if you really wish to talk about this stuff with other Ledgies, you can always use private messaging, email, Facebook, texting, faxes, letters (the post office needs the work), etc.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 08-22-2016, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, the site is private property. Whoever took anything into other areas specific to Fleetwood Mac or threads with topics other than politics/religion did wrong though. If I ever did that I can't remember doing it and would apologize on it being shown to me. I didn't see whatever did trigger this ban.

I've know a lot of people who 'don't want to know' about both politics and religion. I don't understand that completely, but it's probably a lot easier to become messy through words on a screen and not in person.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Old 08-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The
Censorship is a sure way to end it . If it is hate speech ban the user... But let the Adults converse . If the user is uncomfortable tell them to avoid the topic.

The message board is a dying forum..but there is enough of us. Intelligent to maintain adult conversation. If it is an issue or adult topics are upsetting,

Resign or log out.
I agree with you. I have had over the years, countless conversations here on The Ledge about religion and politics with people I agree with, and at times vehemently disagree with. And yet, here we all are, chatting like grown ups about multiple topics years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
The real question is, why can you not discuss politics where there's a designated place for it or better yet a political forum? It seems the real rub for some might be that they can't have political discussions here, on the Ledge. There seems to be no other reason for it other than that they just want to. Besides if you really wish to talk about this stuff with other Ledgies, you can always use private messaging, email, Facebook, texting, faxes, letters (the post office needs the work), etc.
The real answer here is that most of us have been chatting on this forum for a decade or more, and we in very real way, know each other - we have things in common that bring us together. This is our space, and - moderators, administrators or otherwise - there is no Ledge without members who post and talk to each other.

But, ultimately, whatever. The ban on political-religious discussions doesn't bother me one way or another. I'm cool with it, and will respect the rules.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 08-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The REAL reason the political threads were shut down is because the moderators on here are all liberul (thank you becca!) and Crooked Hillary was getting an ass kicking!
Old 08-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
The REAL reason the political threads were shut down is because the moderators on here are all liberul (thank you becca!) and Crooked Hillary was getting an ass kicking!
Nice try, but MyLittleDemon doesn't live in America, WildHearted hasn't really been active in months, and in my 15+ years at the Ledge, I've never heard Michele utter a political opinion. I might be an unabashed liberal, but there are undoubtedly conservatives who have higher opinions of Hillary Clinton than I do. I'm not sure why you cited Becca as a moderator; she isn't one.

My sole reason for pulling the plug on politics was that it was starting to get ugly in here- and some of the disagreements led to partisan personal attacks outside the chit chat section. The discourse in here was starting to alienate members as well. I just want our camaraderie to survive the election. We should be here for Fleetwood Mac first and foremost; everything else is secondary. I might consider bringing politics back if I think the board truly has an appetite for it; but this cooling off period is necessary.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Nice try, but MyLittleDemon doesn't live in America, WildHearted hasn't really been active in months, and in my 15+ years at the Ledge, I've never heard Michele utter a political opinion. I might be an unabashed liberal, but there are undoubtedly conservatives who have higher opinions of Hillary Clinton than I do. I'm not sure why you cited Becca as a moderator; she isn't one.

My sole reason for pulling the plug on politics was that it was starting to get ugly in here- and some of the disagreements led to partisan personal attacks outside the chit chat section. The discourse in here was starting to alienate members as well. I just want our camaraderie to survive the election. We should be here for Fleetwood Mac first and foremost; everything else is secondary. I might consider bringing politics back if I think the board truly has an appetite for it; but this cooling off period is necessary.
So, out of interest did Michele have no opinion/input regarding your decision?

Also, though you say some members felt alienated, as a purely anecdotal observation I'd suggest traffic on all the other boards has also slowed over the past couple of weeks. Chit Chat was thriving and I think it brought people out to post elsewhere too.
Sorry, it all seems rather 'Big Brother' and unnecessary to me- silly.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Also, though you say some members felt alienated, as a purely anecdotal observation I'd suggest traffic on all the other boards has also slowed over the past couple of weeks. Chit Chat was thriving and I think it brought people out to post elsewhere too.
Actually I think it was instead that the traffic on the Chit chat section was thriving because it took away all the traffic from the other sections, in fact a lot of the post in the other forums referred continuosly to things said in the political threads.
If I have to be honest I tried to stay away consciously from the forum because I come here to relieve myself thinking about music, not to hear the kind of silly, angry and depressive political debates that I can hear constantly at my family table or at the local bar.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

No moderator performs any action on the Ledge without her blessing. Like Becca pointed out, the only reason any of us are able to enjoy the Ledge is because Michele does all of the maintenance and pays to keep the site online. This website doesn't owe anyone anything.