The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Green's had a strange life since the late 70's. Everytime he's made music it seems he has been used by people. In the 80's it was Jeff Whittaker, in the late 90's it now appears that Nigel Watson pulled a similar thing, although Peter obviously enjoyed the Splinter group gigs for the first years at least.

Let's hope the same thing doesn't happen now. Greedy he may be, but Mick Fleetwood at least has his fair share of money and cares a great deal for Peter.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
Green's had a strange life since the late 70's. Everytime he's made music it seems he has been used by people. In the 80's it was Jeff Whittaker, in the late 90's it now appears that Nigel Watson pulled a similar thing, although Peter obviously enjoyed the Splinter group gigs for the first years at least.

Let's hope the same thing doesn't happen now. Greedy he may be, but Mick Fleetwood at least has his fair share of money and cares a great deal for Peter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
..... and who knows who's pulling Peter's strings these days - for sure he hasn't pulled his own strings in years.
dino/bb - this is a good thread. it does seem that there is a fine line between helping and exploiting. i think that mich reynolds and nigel had pete's best interests in mind to start with and that at least in part pete did want to resume his career, recalling that it was pete that originally sought out mich rather than the other way round (if i have the story right). i'd wager than when pete formed the splinter group he wanted nigel in the band. and nigel and mich did help pete become a working musician again. i think we are all grateful for that.

but 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'.

i don't distinguish between mick, mich or nigel, they all have as much to gain from 'helping' peter when help means becoming bandmember, manager, and band member, respectively. if mick wants to help pete, give him studio time and access to the musicians he wants to work with (if pete wants to continue playing). or help pete with legal troubles related to dissolving the splinter group.

hopefully, mick is doing those things. but is reforming the original fleetwood mac pete's wish, or mick's? is it in pete's best interest? it would be fantastic if it happened....

best, zero
Old 05-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
but is reforming the original fleetwood mac pete's wish, or mick's? is it in pete's best interest? it would be fantastic if it happened....
I can't imagine that reforming the original band is any of the band members' wish other than Mick's. Would a reunion be in Peter's best interest....I suppose there's a possibility but I think it's doubtful. I don't see how he would have much of anything to gain by doing it. Of course I'd love to see them enjoying themselves playing together again, but I have a really hard time seeing how that would happen at this point.

I have the feeling that many (most?) musical reunions are driven either by the lure of a big payday or by the egos of those involved (wanting to prove they can still do it) - or a combination of those two factors. I don't see either of those factors being likely to draw either Peter or Jeremy back - if anything, the thought of being seen by others as reforming for those reasons would probably push them away from doing it.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
I can't imagine that reforming the original band is any of the band members' wish other than Mick's.
As far as I see it, it's not specifically Micks or Peters wish. It's the wish of the fans that is driving any member of that specific period (especially Mick and Jeremy) to think "would it be nice if we had a reunion?" I don't get the idea that John worries about this matter, let alone Danny.... Jeremy has clearly stated that it wouldn't add to anything they had already done. It was because Peter had re-entered the music scene that the old fans started the whole idea, putting pressure on Mick being the "organizer/manager" of Fleetwood Mac throughout their history.

Yet, I would certainly like it to happen, being recorded on DVD for fans all over the world. Not for the musical performance (Peter isn't the same musician he was during his FM days), but for the sake of Old friends getting together again (including Danny!!!!).
Old 05-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think it would be of benefit to any particular member, professionally speaking. More than money, I think Mick wants to do the reunion to show the world that there was a great band called Fleetwood Mac before "Rumours," and that the two men who originally fronted the band are still forces to be reckoned with. Also, I think he wants to show the world that these two men have gone through so much in their lives, but have managed to come out alive and relatively well. John would do a reunion for the hell of it. Peter and Jeremy should do it if for no other reason than to not have to answer the question of "will you do a Mac reunion" anymore. Just do it, get it out of the way, and then do whatever else it is you'd like to do. As for Danny, I think it's safe to say that any talk of a reunion, at this point, does not include him, as he's in no shape to make music with others.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
As for Danny, I think it's safe to say that any talk of a reunion, at this point, does not include him, as he's in no shape to make music with others.
He wouldn't have to make music, just show his face to the fans, collect the money and run off to the local liquor store?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

But he doesn't drink anymore...

It's a shame that many American F.Mac fans only know about the Lindsey/Stevie incarnation. That was a great band too, but it obscures the original band.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
dino/bb - this is a good thread. it does seem that there is a fine line between helping and exploiting. i think that mich reynolds and nigel had pete's best interests in mind to start with and that at least in part pete did want to resume his career, recalling that it was pete that originally sought out mich rather than the other way round (if i have the story right). i'd wager than when pete formed the splinter group he wanted nigel in the band. and nigel and mich did help pete become a working musician again. i think we are all grateful for that.

but 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'.

i don't distinguish between mick, mich or nigel, they all have as much to gain from 'helping' peter when help means becoming bandmember, manager, and band member, respectively. if mick wants to help pete, give him studio time and access to the musicians he wants to work with (if pete wants to continue playing). or help pete with legal troubles related to dissolving the splinter group.

hopefully, mick is doing those things. but is reforming the original fleetwood mac pete's wish, or mick's? is it in pete's best interest? it would be fantastic if it happened....

best, zero
It IS a good thread. Zero is right about not distinguishing between who and who is not helping Greeny. Everyones had a bite at the cherry. I dont think anyone can help Pete with the legal problems cos hes strapped in to the PGO and they have total control. But there are a lot of good people out there who only want Greeny's wellbeing at heart. Ultimately, he has the choice to play with whom he wants; perhaps even the Firehouse Five again ! Who knows ? One thing I always fall back on - whatever makes Greeny happy is good enough for me.

Last edited by Kyoshi; 06-24-2005 at 11:32 AM..
Old 06-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

That's a neat little article and a cool idea if it ever did happen. I love that photo of them at the RRHOF but it's so darn small. Anyone have a bigger/clearer version of that photo???

-Lis
Old 06-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Junior Ledgie

I think we'll see the Beatles reunion happen first...
Peter is a different guitarist to the one he was then, much less a showy player, in my mind more like JJ Cale's understated style of guitar playing. Some people would expect the old Peter. I remember a review of a Jerry Lee Lewis gig in the NME music paper years ago. He'd just had a stomach operation, and the reviewer concluded that it was a wise move he hadn't tried to stand on his piano as there'd be nothing sadder than seeing a rock legend do that and have his guts fall out all over the place!
In spite of what people might want, sometimes you've just got to not do something...
Old 06-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond sky
I think we'll see the Beatles reunion happen first...
Peter is a different guitarist to the one he was then, much less a showy player, in my mind more like JJ Cale's understated style of guitar playing. Some people would expect the old Peter. I remember a review of a Jerry Lee Lewis gig in the NME music paper years ago. He'd just had a stomach operation, and the reviewer concluded that it was a wise move he hadn't tried to stand on his piano as there'd be nothing sadder than seeing a rock legend do that and have his guts fall out all over the place!
In spite of what people might want, sometimes you've just got to not do something...
Right you are, but stil............?
Old 06-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
But he doesn't drink anymore...
And, doesn't drink any less, either!

{rim shot}

(sorry, couldn't resist that set-up for the punchline)