Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[Blog Post from http://www.landrovervidz.com/land-ro...ham-c2-e5.html]

The Vocal Range of Lindsey Buckingham (C2-E5)

Lindsey is a low tenor who had quite a weak low register until he developed it around 1988, while becoming less clean in the upper register, though he eventually balanced them out around 1996. He doesn’t span a lot of range on individual Fleetwood Mac albums, however on his album Out of the Cradle, he spans more range on both ends than he ever had or has since, and a total range of C2-E5 in full voice, a semitone short of three and a half octaves. With falsetto included he has over four octaves of range. 0:00. First some nice A2s from the 25 Years: The Chain version of “Isn’t It Midnight”. The original is tuned a bit sharp. 0:12. A strong A2 from solo song “Say We’ll Meet Again”. 0:18. Some G#2s from The Dance version of “Go Insane”, great emotional singing here. 0:47. Solid G#2s from “Wrong”. 1:01. A bit quiet, but here are some short G2s and A2s from Fleetwood Mac song “Tango In The Night”. 1:15. A strange-sounding spoken passage from solo song “I Want You”, reaching a few F2s. 1:25. A whispery E2 from a solo live version of “Go Insane”. Notice the key has been lowered from C# minor all the way down to A minor! 1:40. A few Eb2s in the awesome intro to “My Little Demon”! 1:50. The spoken intro to “Surrender The Rain”, bottom note is Eb2. 2:12. A whispery D2 from “Tusk”. 2:22. And a stronger D2 from “Tusk”, in the backing vocal. 2:31. Here we have Lindsey’s lowest ever note, a strong C2 sliding down to a whispered A1. Song is “This Is The Time”. Doesn’t do this live sadly …
Old 11-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always been amazed, and impressed with Lindsey's range. I think he was too hard on his upper range early on, and so has a harder time with it today. 60 isn't all that old, and a lot of performers in their 60s still sound great up high, but he's definitely struggling there. Not that I really mind, 'cause his lower range is really, REALLY sexy

I think it was you Michelle (?), who posted this a while back, but it's worth another look/listen. Besides Lindsey's incredible singing, it's cool to hear Chris and Stevie come in at about 3:20 ( after a looooong silence ).:

Old 11-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Blog Post from http://www.landrovervidz.com/land-ro...ham-c2-e5.html]

The Vocal Range of Lindsey Buckingham (C2-E5)
I made this video, it was good fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
I've always been amazed, and impressed with Lindsey's range. I think he was too hard on his upper range early on, and so has a harder time with it today. 60 isn't all that old, and a lot of performers in their 60s still sound great up high, but he's definitely struggling there. Not that I really mind, 'cause his lower range is really, REALLY sexy
I agree, he's lowered the key on most of his stuff so that he never goes above a G#4, he did it for Go Insane, Red Rover... in contrast Stevie tries to never go above an A4 anymore, sometimes going up to the B flat. I don't think Lindsey was too hard on his upper range early on though, if anything it kept improving, if you compare the C5s in Tango in the Night to the ones in Go Your Own Way they're a lot better and easier. The Tango album was, to me, his peak vocally.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRobert View Post
I made this video, it was good fun

I agree, he's lowered the key on most of his stuff so that he never goes above a G#4, he did it for Go Insane, Red Rover... in contrast Stevie tries to never go above an A4 anymore, sometimes going up to the B flat. I don't think Lindsey was too hard on his upper range early on though, if anything it kept improving, if you compare the C5s in Tango in the Night to the ones in Go Your Own Way they're a lot better and easier. The Tango album was, to me, his peak vocally.
Nice work on that video

Just a few years ago, he sounded great on everything, but sometimes, now, he sounds almost like an ex-smoker which he's not! You know more about it than I do, so, what do you think? Maybe he just needs to spend more time warming up??
Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure... up until '98 he sounded great. Maybe he ruined his voice singing Go Insane and Bleed To Love Her on the Dance tour, or the Say You Will and solo tours put too much strain on his voice. He doesn't have the best technique in the world but his voice isn't completely shot, warming up more and maybe getting a vocal coach if he doesn't already would help. Look at someone like John Farnham for example, he's been touring and recording since 1964 but he still sounds great here. Paul McCartney seems to be doing really well too at almost 70, even though his technique has never been the best and he's been going since 1957! Luck could be a big factor sadly...
Old 11-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think Lindsey was too hard on his upper range early on
Have you heard him squawk & scream through "What Makes You Think You're the One" during the middle & final legs of the Tusk tour? That can't be good for a guy.

Quote:
The Tango album was, to me, his peak vocally.
I say his vocal peak was the middle & final legs of the aforementioned Tusk tour. Never before & certainly not since has his singing had more pliability & tonally controlled panache, not to mention sizzling energy. I think it's always a precarious bridge to try to cross when we try to judge Lindsey's vocalism on a heavily engineered & tightly controlled studio album.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 11-21-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Old 11-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not sure... up until '98 he sounded great. Maybe he ruined his voice singing Go Insane and Bleed To Love Her on the Dance tour, or the Say You Will and solo tours put too much strain on his voice. He doesn't have the best technique in the world but his voice isn't completely shot, warming up more and maybe getting a vocal coach if he doesn't already would help. Look at someone like John Farnham for example, he's been touring and recording since 1964 but he still sounds great here. Paul McCartney seems to be doing really well too at almost 70, even though his technique has never been the best and he's been going since 1957! Luck could be a big factor sadly...
Yeah, I thought Lindsey sounded pretty darn good even in 2007. When he did Shut Us Down on Ellen and Conan, WOW! But, by 2008 it started changing, and by 2009 it was a lot different to my ears. I think you're right that luck ( well, genetics ) is probably it. I hope his ego allows him to use a coach, or whatever is needed - though, I'd love him to pieces regardless
Old 11-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Have you heard him squawk & scream through "What Makes You Think You're the One" during the middle & final legs of the Tusk tour? That can't be good for a guy.
I haven't, but I know about all the falsetto yelps and screeches he did all the time live, definitely not good for the voice!

Quote:
I say his vocal peak was the middle & final legs of the Tusk tour. Never before & certainly not since has his singing had more pliability & tonally controlled panache, not to mention sizzling energy. I think it's always a precarious bridge to try to cross when we try to judge Lindsey's vocalism on a heavily engineered & tightly controlled studio album.
As far as technique and tone go I'd say it's Tango. Not extremely energetic though. He would have sounded amazing had he toured that year.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
LOL, but Yep! And like Stevie, I don't think either one had any early voice training, right? They just went out there and gave it everything they had...even if technically not so good for the vocal chords.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked it on Destiny Rules when they were rehearsing for the concert and Lindsey joked that his voice would give out and he'd just push a button to hit the note.

Michele
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default utube

Hi! Does anyone know where I can watch or download this video? I can't see it!!!! Utube says "This video is private", and I can't see!
Thank you! Regards
Old 06-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I always felt that Lindsey's voice changed quite a bit right after Go Insane. He sounds a little deeper on Time Bomb Town and even more deeper on the Tango album.