User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Lindsey's Vocal Range

Hello!

A few weeks ago I started a Stevie Nicks vocal range thread here, arriving with fairly limited knowledge on the subject (Knowing of notes from D3 to C5, 1 octave and 10 semitones), eventually arriving at Bb2-Eb5, 2 octaves and 5 semitones with help. I'm positive she can go lower and higher, but for now here's a more interesting subject...

Lindsey's lowest, as far as I know, is a D2 from Tusk! This is a very low note. Not even bass singers go this low very often, and I think he can go lower.

As for high notes, Lindsey uses falsetto a lot on higher notes, and reaches some very high notes in the form of ad-libbed screams. The highest I've heard is a B5, which is a semitone away from soprano high C! If we count falsetto, his range is D2-B5, three semitones away from a 4(!!!) octave range.

Highest non-falsetto I can think of at the moment is B4 in Tango In The Night (amazing singing), so D2-B4, 2 octaves and 9 semitones.

I don't have many Fleetwood Mac albums, but if some of you could recommend some great displays of his high and low register, we can more than likely credit him with 3 octaves in full voice and maybe 4 with falsetto! This thread was very fun last time.

Thank you!

Last edited by WarmSir3; 11-23-2009 at 08:02 PM..
Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not That Funny is pretty high in the chorus. Empire State, Book Of Love and Can't Go Back might be pretty good to listen to aswell. I'm So Afraid has some amazing singing from both Lindsey and Stevie - not to get off topic, but listen to how high Stevie sings in the harmony on the chorus!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Up to C5 with falsetto on Not That Funny and A4 without it. A4s on Empire State... strange song! C#5s on Book of Love... a bit strained and screamy however, could be falsetto. Love the guitar playing on that one. Lots of C5s on Can't Go Back, full I think! I'm sure he has sung a strong and sustained C5 at one point. Maybe around 1987, the A4s in Tango In The Night (tan-gooo) are very strong, sounds like he has at least half an octave more in full voice on the upper end.

I love I'm So Afraid! Up to Bb4 on the chorus, C5 on my favourite live version (Largo '75). Nicks goes up to C#5. Fantastic harmonies and singing!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How about Crystal from both the Fleetwood Mac and Buckingham Nicks albums?

On the lower end, maybe What Makes You Think You're the One?
Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What about Come, where he says, "cause nobody else is doing it, doing it."

I like what you said about his D2. It made me feel very proud for some reason.

He sounds like he gets pretty low for "come on and" in Hold Me.

This will be fun if you do it for Chris too. She gets really low on her last album.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 11-20-2009 at 01:27 AM..
Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
How about Crystal from both the Fleetwood Mac and Buckingham Nicks albums?

On the lower end, maybe What Makes You Think You're the One?
What Makes You Think You're The One, down to C3 and up to A4, great song! Short falsetto note around F5. Crystal only goes up to F4, amazing song and singing though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
What about Come, where he says, "cause nobody else is doing it, doing it."

I like what you said about his D2. It made me feel very proud for some reason.

He sounds like he gets pretty low for "come on and" in Hold Me.

This will be fun if you do it for Chris too. She gets really low on her last album.

Michele
Down to D3 on "come on and" in Hold Me. That Come section is very strange, doesn't sound much like Lindsey, yet it's obviously not Stevie or Chris. D5 in full voice. That's 3 octaves for Lindsey!

Chris you say? Haven't heard much from her in the ways of lows, and she sings in a very soft voice making it hard to distinguish between full voice and falsetto! I think there's a C#5 in Over My Head, going by memory, but yes I could make a thread for Chris in a few weeks. Thank you!

For reference, here is the Stevie vocal range video.

Last edited by WarmSir3; 11-20-2009 at 12:18 PM..
Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmSir3 View Post
Down to D3 on "come on and" in Hold Me. That Come section is very strange, doesn't sound much like Lindsey, yet it's obviously not Stevie or Chris. D5 in full voice. That's 3 octaves for Lindsey!
To be honest, I think the chorus of Come has had the Lindsey varispeed treatment, so it was slowed down and record at a lower pitch and sped back up to the original pitch. It sounds like he could pitching it up a semitone or two. Perhaps even a third. That's why it doesn't sound much like him.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Oh, you mean like on Big Love? That's definitely possible. Has he ever sang it live?
Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When he sang it live on the Say You Will tour the key was dropped from Am to (I think) Em and then he might have dropped it to Dm on his last solo tour or he kept it in Em. I think he goes into falsetto for it live but I'm not expert. It is pretty screamy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HGs6M9exS4 (in Em)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyr_E...rom=PL&index=2 (in Dm)
Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

The first one isn't loading for me, but in the second he sings up to G5 and A5 instead, in falsetto though as you said.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He even made a joke about not being able (or wanting) to hit the note live in Come during the Destiny Rules video. He said he'd just push a button and have it piped in instead.

Michele
Old 11-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmSir3 View Post

Chris you say? Haven't heard much from her in the ways of lows, and she sings in a very soft voice making it hard to distinguish between full voice and falsetto! I think there's a C#5 in Over My Head, going by memory, but yes I could make a thread for Chris in a few weeks. Thank you!
I can't say I can think of many high notes for her. I just know on In the Meantime, she struck me as getting lower than she ever had before. Very rich, aged sound.

Michele
Old 11-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
He even made a joke about not being able (or wanting) to hit the note live in Come during the Destiny Rules video. He said he'd just push a button and have it piped in instead.

Michele
Hm, don't think we'll find much from this decade then! But like I said, around the 80s he definitely could have hit at least a D5 in strong full voice.

Quote:
I can't say I can think of many high notes for her. I just know on In the Meantime, she struck me as getting lower than she ever had before. Very rich, aged sound.

Michele
I've not heard In The Meantime. I'm not too much of a Chris fan, although I love Wish You Were Here, Say You Love Me and Little Lies.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Rhiannon harmony, is the first one to come to mind. I'd say she's probably got a better range than Stevie though.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
Rhiannon harmony, is the first one to come to mind. I'd say she's probably got a better range than Stevie though.
Christine is singing the lower harmony on Rhiannon, a G4 while Stevie sings a C5. Personally I do not think Christine has a wider range than Stevie. Although both are fantastic singers who really know how to use their range well. Contraltos typically don't have amazing ranges.

Back on the subject of Lindsey, does anyone know of any live Tusk performances where he hits the D2? (Why don't you ask him if he's going away-ay, ay-ay... ay) Thank you!