The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
There's a reason Davis was known as "The Fifth Warner Brother."
There's the ever famous "She can't act her way out of a paper bag!"
Omigod, I can't believe i sold "Bette and Joan"
funniest. book.
Omigod, and when she did her tirade about Joan's fake tits? "she's supposed to be lying down, and her tits are sticking straight up!!"

Ah, Bette. I love you. There'll nevah be another...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-28-2005, 02:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
not to mention Davis really KICKED her in the kicking scene.

THEN - Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte was supposed to be the reprise - but Crawford pussed out
Which was good, cause i don't really like crawford. And, Olivia D and Bette had been friends for years (a cancer and an aries - who woulda thought?)
so that was nice for them. And the movie was still great...
Did you ever see that weird Carnival movie with joan crawford? with murders and stuff?
That movie could give me nightmares, I swear. But i've always thought joan crawford was scary, and had the depth of...oh, Julia Roberts? In an Aries way, of course...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I love that line. Of course, I love everything about MM. All About Eve is awesome.

I love the Misfits, too.
I loved MM too, but i was more interested in her life...I thought the misfits was a good movie, but her performances are always exceedingly strange to me, and this movie is no exception. She was good, but she's so strange...
My favorite movie with her is "Some Like It Hot" - but that's just a great movie all around, Billy Wilder is magnificent. Love "The Seven Year Itch" too. Bus Stop is sort of embarrassing to me, for some reason..."Niagra" is a neat little movie, I thought she was well cast in that. And did you know it has the longest "walking away" shot in cinema history? Ie - Ass Shot! I love it, cause that's about the shape of my lower body...
Anyways.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I loved MM too, but i was more interested in her life...I thought the misfits was a good movie, but her performances are always exceedingly strange to me, and this movie is no exception. She was good, but she's so strange...
My favorite movie with her is "Some Like It Hot" - but that's just a great movie all around, Billy Wilder is magnificent. Love "The Seven Year Itch" too. Bus Stop is sort of embarrassing to me, for some reason..."Niagra" is a neat little movie, I thought she was well cast in that. And did you know it has the longest "walking away" shot in cinema history? Ie - Ass Shot! I love it, cause that's about the shape of my lower body...
Anyways.
"Bus Stop" is not so good. Her accent is way off, and she and her love interest had no chemistry at all. I have never understood why so many consider it to be her best performance.

"Some Like it Hot" is great. Have you ever seen "Don't Bother to Knock"? She plays a great loon in it. Probably didn't have to act too much.

Last edited by GypsySorcerer; 01-28-2005 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 01-28-2005, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Niagra" is a neat little movie, I thought she was well cast in that. And did you know it has the longest "walking away" shot in cinema history? Ie - Ass Shot! I love it, cause that's about the shape of my lower body...
Anyways.

She looked very pretty in that movie. I love the "Kiss" song scene where she's in that red dress and the other women are in plain outfits. That movie really did establish her as the bombshell.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Bus Stop" is not so good. Her accent is way off, and she and her love interest had no chemistry at all. I have never understood why so many consider it to be her best performance.

"Some Like it Hot" is great. Have you ever seen "Don't Bother to Knock"? She plays a great loon in it. Probably didn't have to act to much.
Omigosh, that's exactly right about Bus Stop! Man, that guy ruined the movie, I thought. Noooooooo chemistry, or alike acting, or anything.
I've seen Don't Bother - but vaguely...I got interested in MM when we didn't have a VCR, and i had to pore over the TV listings, and wake up at weird hours to watch her movies, and beg my parents to let me watch them... I thought she was good in DBTK - it was a little bit more of an understated performance. Still, her acting is very strange to me. she sure was cute/pretty, though...and seriously, I love the audacity of her ass... "that ass was me!!!! yeahahehaeh!!!"

Old 01-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Omigosh, that's exactly right about Bus Stop! Man, that guy ruined the movie, I thought. Noooooooo chemistry, or alike acting, or anything.
I've seen Don't Bother - but vaguely...I got interested in MM when we didn't have a VCR, and i had to pore over the TV listings, and wake up at weird hours to watch her movies, and beg my parents to let me watch them... I thought she was good in DBTK - it was a little bit more of an understated performance. Still, her acting is very strange to me. she sure was cute/pretty, though...and seriously, I love the audacity of her ass... "that ass was me!!!! yeahahehaeh!!!"
She joked about putting her ass print in Grauman's Theater.

Her acting was pretty stiff, and I think she relied too heavily on her coaches. Still, she was magnetic. But you're right, her personal life is more interesting than anything.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She joked about putting her ass print in Grauman's Theater.

Her acting was pretty stiff, and I think she relied too heavily on her coaches. Still, she was magnetic. But you're right, her personal life is more interesting than anything.
I know, she shoulda put that ass there. It's an ass for the ages...
I agree about her acting. I don't think she really was a very natural actress - with a few exceptions. But from studying her chart, I understand. Yes, she did rely on her coaches, but i think they actually helped her. A gemini with moon in aquarius will have a hard time accessing any "natural" emotions.
The power of her personality was strong, luckily. For her best performance, and being cast the best, I would have to vote for "Niagra" or maybe..."the misfits" - but the misfits would definitely be behind niagra...

Old 01-28-2005, 03:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Jezebel was FAB., esp the end when she "redeems" herself by going to the Yellow Fever Island with the man she loves

As for The Letter - I liked it - but PHEW MELODRAMA

I also like The Lost Weekend and Come back Little Sheba - though they are both hard to watch.

I thought A Place in the Sun was magnificent SOLELY for La Taylor in her first scene in that dress and her completely unware air - PHEW

I also LOVED Whose Afraid of Virginia Wolf - In many ways I lived on a daily basis that entire movie with my ex
DUDE!!! We have to get together to watch movies!!
Although, I didn't think "The Letter" was as melodramatic as you. Not for Bette, at least. And how great was Gale Sondergaard?
Omigosh, I love WAOVW!!! I did a monologue from that, my senior year.
but i always enjoyed the strangeness and subtelty of Sandra's performance....
in addition to the main player's great performances...but Sandra was my fav.! She was so weird and perfect.
But - i've never seen A Place In the Sun, or Come Back Little Sheba -
I don't love Liz Taylor as a great actress, but she has done some great acting. I do love her for her great beauty...

Last edited by amber; 01-28-2005 at 06:55 AM..
Old 01-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I feel young hehe, I have not even heard of these movies, I know who Joan Collins is but it took me ages to figure out who Davis was hehe, I thought they were from two different eras.

Tynan
Old 01-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan88
Wow, I feel young hehe, I have not even heard of these movies, I know who Joan Collins is but it took me ages to figure out who Davis was hehe, I thought they were from two different eras.

Tynan
Well, they are, really. Although Davis starred with Collins in one movie...about Queen Elizabeth. - Collins was much younger than Davis, and apparently, they didn't get along.. I think it was called "The Virgin Queen"...
not like you care...

Old 01-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I do care I just didn't know this, all this sounds very interesting!

Tynan
Old 01-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, they are, really. Although Davis starred with Collins in one movie...about Queen Elizabeth. - Collins was much younger than Davis, and apparently, they didn't get along.. I think it was called "The Virgin Queen"...
not like you care...
I LOVE that movie - it is a little silly - but BD as Elizabeth Regina screams at her servant about Joan Collins' character - "GET THE STRUMPET OUT OF MY CHAMBER" or something like that - I LOVE that she used "strumpet"
Old 01-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Which was good, cause i don't really like crawford. And, Olivia D and Bette had been friends for years (a cancer and an aries - who woulda thought?)
so that was nice for them. And the movie was still great...
Did you ever see that weird Carnival movie with joan crawford? with murders and stuff?
That movie could give me nightmares, I swear. But i've always thought joan crawford was scary, and had the depth of...oh, Julia Roberts? In an Aries way, of course...
OHMIGOD -- "Berserk!" Joan played the circus owner and ringleader. My roommate and I watched that one 3 times in a row, just cackling with laughter...

Joan: "Whattya trying to do, RUIN MY CIRCUS?!?!?!"
Old 01-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
OHMIGOD -- "Berserk!" Joan played the circus owner and ringleader. My roommate and I watched that one 3 times in a row, just cackling with laughter...

Joan: "Whattya trying to do, RUIN MY CIRCUS?!?!?!"

Yeah, Berserk. 3 times in a row? that's hilarious...