Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy More tornadoes...

here in Oklahoma...One on I-40 west of El Reno.

http://www.news9.com/Global/category...&BannerId=1022

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 05-31-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
here in Oklahoma...One on I-40 west of El Reno.

http://www.news9.com/Global/category...&BannerId=1022
Holy fock. Is it ever going to stop? Hang on dude!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Currently Active Users: 70 (1 members and 69 guests)
View Who's Online

vivfox

(For the first time ever I am the only Ledgie online at the moment and I share the space with 69 guests)
Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Things I can't post on FB...

Inviting your friend to go to a party, and the response is, "I'm already here"...

I wanna say, "well thanks for inviting me, as I did you". But I won't...ugh.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Currently Active Users: 70 (1 members and 69 guests)
View Who's Online

vivfox

(For the first time ever I am the only Ledgie online at the moment and I share the space with 69 guests)
You had the Ledge all to yourself didn't you!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Next time you get a fountain drink at a fast-food joint, you might want to ask for no ice. Samples of ice taken from branches of McDonald's, Burger King, KFC and Starbucks found that the ice contained higher levels of bacteria than samples of water taken from the restaurant's toilet. (We'll pause for a moment to let that sink in.) None of the samples presented an immediate health danger, but four contained high enough samples to be considered a "hygiene risk." Experts chalk this up to the fact that toilets are generally cleaned more than ice machines, but we're still aghast. And will be drinking lukewarm soda from now on.

http://now.msn.com/ice-is-dirtier-th...in-restaurants
Old 06-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Next time you get a fountain drink at a fast-food joint, you might want to ask for no ice. Samples of ice taken from branches of McDonald's, Burger King, KFC and Starbucks found that the ice contained higher levels of bacteria than samples of water taken from the restaurant's toilet. (We'll pause for a moment to let that sink in.) None of the samples presented an immediate health danger, but four contained high enough samples to be considered a "hygiene risk." Experts chalk this up to the fact that toilets are generally cleaned more than ice machines, but we're still aghast. And will be drinking lukewarm soda from now on.

http://now.msn.com/ice-is-dirtier-th...in-restaurants
MSN cites the UK paper The Daily Mail as its source for that information. And I don't blame you for not knowing this, Viv, but the Daily Mail is an absolute sensationalist rag and everything you take from their reporting needs to come with a massive grain of salt. It is pretty well documented that ice in restaurants has more bacteria than the layperson would expect, but there's just a lot of things wrong with the original Daily Mail article that msn links to, and I just can't not comment. For example, vague citations (who are these "experts" they keep referring to?), and why on earth was toilet water used as the benchmark in the first place? There is no scientific reason for that, and toilet water is cleaner than many people think. They're obviously just using it to play up the "Ewww" factor.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a pretentious knobhead, and feel free to make up your own mind re: ice at restaurants. Some of the places do need to pay better attention to cleaning their ice machines. And how much faith you want to put in your immune system is a completely personal choice. But in most cases bad, sensationalist journalism is a lot more dangerous than bacteria.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
MSN cites the UK paper The Daily Mail as its source for that information. And I don't blame you for not knowing this, Viv, but [B]the Daily Mail is an absolute sensationalist rag.
Thank you Dex. I'm always open to learning new things from friend's from all over this great world we live in.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you Dex. I'm always open to learning new things from friend's from all over this great world we live in.
I apologize for my zealotry. Best not to get me started on the Daily Mail, I think. But mainstream internet websites like MSN have recently taken to citing The Daily Mail as a legitimate news source, and people outside the UK who don't know what The Daily Mail is like are now taking these news reports at face value, and that's just... Really dangerous. In the UK, whether they love it or hate it, everyone knows what to expect from the Daily Mail, so I feel ok about it. But the internet and international news websites have really changed the game now. I just get a little caught up and feel the need to spread the word.

*ahem* As you were, folks!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After lurking for some time I decided to sign up to the Ledge boards 10 years ago as of this month.6100 posts later and met alot of nice fans on here over the years and it was nice to chat Stevie and FM to people that enjoy the music that I love.

Today the band is still kicking a$$ on the road as they were in 2003 with their SYW tour.

Thanks guys for keeping me entertain and updated with the latest info for all those years on Stevie and the band I love.

Skip.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 06-02-2013 at 09:49 PM..
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On a sad note. Today would of been my late sisters 63rd birthday.I lost her in 2007 with breast cancer.

RIP Donna Lee....

Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I apologize for my zealotry. Best not to get me started on the Daily Mail, I think. But mainstream internet websites like MSN have recently taken to citing The Daily Mail as a legitimate news source, and people outside the UK who don't know what The Daily Mail is like are now taking these news reports at face value, and that's just... Really dangerous. In the UK, whether they love it or hate it, everyone knows what to expect from the Daily Mail, so I feel ok about it. But the internet and international news websites have really changed the game now. I just get a little caught up and feel the need to spread the word.

*ahem* As you were, folks!
The Daily Mail is the equiv to the US states National Enquirer or Star mags. Am I right.

I quick read the BS on the covers as I wait in line at the cashiers line.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
On a sad note. Today would of been my late sisters 63rd birthday.I lost her in 2007 with breast cancer.

RIP Donna Lee....
I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, too, MFF.

And yes, The Daily Mail is about as good as a Star mag. But it looks and sounds a lot more like a "real" newspaper. It's the kind of publishing that's popular because it feeds the reader an opinion, and many readers prefer that to having to make up their own mind about things.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Things I can't post on FB...

Inviting your friend to go to a party, and the response is, "I'm already here"...

I wanna say, "well thanks for inviting me, as I did you". But I won't...ugh.
You should have said it.

This is not a rant against Facebook, but after a few years of being there I'm starting to notice that Facebook is just an avenue that helps friends take their friendships for granted. There's no need to call, or visit or even text or e-mail - it's all on Facebook.

Sharing and commenting on status updates is not a friendship of any sort.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case