The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which order would you choose for stuff at the end of FM remastered CD's?
Unreleased, then B-sides, then Remixes 23 76.67%
Unreleased, then Remixes, then B-sides 0 0%
B-sides, then Unreleased, then Remixes 5 16.67%
B-sides, then Remixes, then Unreleased 1 3.33%
Remixes, then Unreleased, then B-sides 0 0%
Remixes, then B-sides, then Unreleased 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2002, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation FM remasters extras content category order

OK, as discussed in the "Thinking about Tomorrow" thread, here's what (I personally think and I hope y'all think too...) is the most fair way of deciding what all those who wish to write to Rhino now should request in their letters as to what should be the extra material at the end of the remastered CD albums of FM BY CONTENT CATEGORIES. If you think none of these options apply and you would prefer to say to them in your letters that you like say for instance, a "mix" of recordings from these categories rather than sticking to one category first and then following on to another etc. then just say so underneath and we'll count those as votes under another option but I would imagine it's safe to assume that this would not be the majority vote but if it is then we'll let democracy rule and that will be the decision. So, to be clear, here's the categories of possible material for inclusion:

UNRELEASED: (which are studio (including demos) and live (songs from soundboard recordings they may have etc.) recordings NOT already available on a legally released FM album/single etc.

B-SIDES (which includes songs that have been released but not on an album of fully "unique" material like the studio "Silver springs" could go at the end of the possible new "Rumours" disc, "Cool water" at the end of the possible new "Mirage", all of the TITN B-sides at the end of the TITN disc as well as songs like the "Soccer rocks the globe" version of "Blow by blow" which could go at the end of the "Time" album for instance, which were not actually on the B-side of a single but have been released legally before but not on the relevant album's particular session etc.)

REMIXES (which includes radio/single mixes of songs that are from the albums but only previously available before in a remixed form on a single or for a radio promo disc etc. and the 12" remixes such as the "House on the hill" dub of "Big love" from the TITN days, this category also includes "single edits" of songs such as the edited "Sara" that currently exists on the "Tusk" CD at retailers now (if wanted) etc.)

So the "question" of this poll being that if Rhino had asked you what "pecking order" should be used as to what type of recordings should go on to the end of the FM remastered CD albums (if they were to undertake such a project), then which one would you choose to include at the end of the discs FIRST and then if there was room left after including what was available of that category of recordings, which category would you choose to include NEXT and then which one would be the last to include by default? This vote is open until the end of October, 2002. Thanks for your participation.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 09-27-2002 at 11:16 AM..
Old 09-27-2002, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Here's for option A!!!
Thanks John.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm basing my thinking by looking at Rhino's past releases, and of those three choices (b-sides, remixes, unreleased), it seems that they're most likely to include b-sides and remixes, and then maybe a live track, or two.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-27-2002, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Rhino...

Rhino did a great job on the remastered Monkees albums...there are some interesting demos, alternate takes and even some in-between demo banter that is quite funny! And they were pretty generous with the songs, it's not like it was one or two, it's more like 4-5 extra songs tacked on the ends of the CDs! So, hopefully they would do the same with FM.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Rhino...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Rhino did a great job on the remastered Monkees albums...there are some interesting demos, alternate takes and even some in-between demo banter that is quite funny! And they were pretty generous with the songs, it's not like it was one or two, it's more like 4-5 extra songs tacked on the ends of the CDs! So, hopefully they would do the same with FM.
Hey, I have that CD too! And the box set. Nobody can tell me the Monkees don't have a heck of a lot of good songs!

But on topic:
I think Remixes, on the whole, are tiresome. I hate buying a single that has six different versions of the same song on it. On my Landslide single, there was just four versions of it and not even a "B-Side" song! I mean, come on! And sometimes the extended remixes become absolutely ridiculous, with all their repetiton and manipulation. Ugh.

Unreleased/B-sides, in that order!

Old 09-28-2002, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stupid finger

Clicked on "remixes" but of course it meant to click on B-sides. Agreed in all the ideas expressed before about remixes... they are tired and most of them don't go anywhere. If they are going to add bonus tracks for the albums, I supposed the already released B-sides would be nice choices. Then some good quality unreleased material.

Paul McCartney did a fairly good effort in re-releasing his catalogue, and only included B-sides as bouns tracks, but the guy has more than 100+ from where to pick up... I suppose all of the unreleased things could eventually go to form part of a boxed set or something, like they did with the fantastic packaging of the John Lennon Anthology.

B-sides, then unreleased, that's it.

Song of the moment - In The Back Of My Mind
Old 09-28-2002, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

OK Cristian, we'll take the vote that you wanted to click on in to account when tallying is done at the end of Oct.

As for a possible "unreleased stuff boxed set" etc., I'm sure we would ALL love that but I guess we'll have to go at the snails pace that Rhino would dictate and hopefully after the possible remasters (if they ever do it), we can see if they would consider such a release. I wouldn't get my hopes up but we won't know until we ask but I guess we'll have to wait until THAT time to ask that question.

John
Old 09-29-2002, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Considering the care taken by Rhino in updating Elvis Costello's catalogue...(11-15 bonus tracks per album...making just about every album a "double album")...they could do a similar thing with each of Fleetwod Mac's albums, as well.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:31 AM
Ledgie

I love the idea of updating their back catalog, but how likely is is with the scattered releases of the DVD Audios?

I chose "B-Sides, Remixes, Unreleased", reason being I think everything officially released at one point should be available on compact disc. They only have a handful of b-sides and pretty much only enough mixes to warrant a Tango In The Night remix EP. I've always been a freak for remixes, and I love that Stevie gets ad lib time during both Little Lies and Big Love that isn't heard on the originals.

Don't forget that some of the single mixes and edits could be included, and possibly the Tusk remixes ("Sisters of the Moon" sans fadeout, "That's All For Everyone" and "Think About Me").

Unreleased stuff would be a treat as well, but as far as I'm concerned I think the b-sides and remixes not available on CD or ones on CD's that are now long out of print need to see some kind of re-release, and a full on Rhino reissue campaign seems like the perfect excuse to hit the vaults and do things right.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Considering the care taken by Rhino in updating Elvis Costello's catalogue... they could do a similar thing with each of Fleetwod Mac's albums, as well.
Now that you mention Elvis Costello, chili, my hope that they'd re-master *all* of the Fleetwood Mac albums, has increased.

Elvis Costello has had a lot of critical acclaim, and he certainly has a good-sized following... but most of his albums haven't been mega-sellers.
So hopefully Rhino wont exhibit tunnel-vision where Fleetwood Mac's discography is concerned either.

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 09-30-2002 at 03:03 PM..
Old 09-30-2002, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Matt, I also chose "B-Sides, Remixes, Unreleased," for the same reasons you did... I'd love to see everything that has been released in some format previously, see the light of day on CD.

And I think the radio remixes of "Over My Head," "Rhiannon," and "Say You Love Me," are absolutely essential for inclusion on a remastered 'Fleetwood Mac.'

If they then include some previously unreleased stuff in additon to the b-sides and remixes, then that's terrific... and would be icing on the cake.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-30-2002, 03:12 PM
Ledgie

Does anyone happen to know where decent sounding MP3's for "Rhiannon" (is this the one referred to in 7" discography's as "Rhiannon [Will You Ever Win]"?) and "Over My Head" can be found? I always assumed the mix of "Say You Love Me" on 25 Years: The Chain was the single mix...

Even if no one has an MP3, can someone describe the differences in "Rhiannon"?
Old 09-30-2002, 03:39 PM
Ledgie

Hey Johnny.

I responded a good half hour ago!
Old 09-30-2002, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
Even if no one has an MP3, can someone describe the differences in "Rhiannon"?
I used to have the "Rhiannon (Will You Ever Win)" 45 mix downloaded from that old exchaging website that got shut down recently... It did have some differences with the album version in terms of the placements of the guitar solos + some parts with Stevie harmonizing with herself more prominent than in the album version, but unfortunately I can't remember it... It's quite easy to find in all the MP3 exchanging sites, of course, that's for sure.

Song of the moment - Man Of The World
Old 09-30-2002, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question JOHNNY STEW

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Matt, I also chose "B-Sides, Remixes, Unreleased,"
JOHNNY STEW - It maybe hasn't registered on my end yet or something but I only see one vote so far (when I click on "view results" for "B-sides/remixes/unreleased". Are you sure you clicked on the right one? Perhaps it was Matt that may have clicked on one that he did not intend to? I just want to try and keep tabs as I/we go along that the vote is as accurate as possible so let me know OK? Thanks.

John