Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default "I Don't Want To Know" Mystery

I honestly have no idea if this has already been discussed, and if it has then I apologize in advance.

Recently I upgraded the sound system for my record player, and threw on "Rumours" just to test everything out. I had always really appreciated "I Don't Want To Know" but honestly fell in love with it much more than ever after hearing it on my new speakers. It had been stuck in my head for a few days after, so I searched to see if there were any live performances of it that I might have missed over the years, but didn't find anything. That search turned up the "Glee" version of the song and out of curiosity I chose to listen to it. Towards the end of the song, after the line "You got me rockin and a reelin", they sang the lyric "Hey you know what you do". I hadn't ever given it much thought, but for some reason this lyric surprised me, as I guess I didn't realize that's how it went. A bit interested, I look the lyric insert out of the record packaging to double check and noticed that the entire line is absent.

Does anyone know why that lyric isn't included? I find it very peculiar and a quick google search didn't really turn up anything.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought Stevie and Lindsey said "Hanging onto you..." but now that I listen again, they definitely do say, "Hey, you know what you do." I just never bothered to look up the lyrics apparently

Sometimes ad-libby sort of stuff isn't included in lyric booklets. That's the only reason I can think of to explain its absence. It might have just been something they decided to do in the studio and wasn't part of the song as it was originally intended, or part of its "official" lyrics. Just an extra little thing.

Last edited by WildHearted; 01-08-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Old 01-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I always thought Stevie and Lindsey said "Hanging onto you..." but now that I listen again, they definitely do say, "Hey, you know what you do." I just never bothered to look up the lyrics apparently

Sometimes ad-libby sort of stuff isn't included in lyric booklets. That's the only reason I can think of to explain its absence. It might have just been something they decided to do in the studio and wasn't part of the song as it was originally intended, or part of its "official" lyrics. Just an extra little thing.
Makes sense!! And that's kind of what I assumed, but there always seems to be little back stories to a lot of things so I was curious.

By the way that's what I always thought the lyric was too! (and I think I prefer it to be honest)
Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've also always heard it as "hangin' on to you". That what they have it as on BuckinghamNicks.net.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Pretty sure it's hanging onto you. Hey you know what to do, doesn't fit.

Btw, one of Stevie's most underappreciated songs, everything about it is great, the writing, the performance, it's so damn concise and catching. One of her best melodies.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Yeah I belong to you" is what I thought it said which,now that we're talking about it,makes no effing sense since they were in Splitsville at the time
Hanging on to you sounds GREAT considering the circumstances.You have hidden talent WildHearted!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Pretty sure it's hanging onto you. Hey you know what to do, doesn't fit.

Btw, one of Stevie's most underappreciated songs, everything about it is great, the writing, the performance, it's so damn concise and catching. One of her best melodies.
Yes it does...."you say you love me but you don't know" fits perfectly which "hey you know what you do" As in F'in with my head. That being said I think Glee changed the lyrics from "hanging on to you".
Old 01-09-2015, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I just listened back to it and now I do think they actually say, "Hey, you know what you do."

Or maybe I'm just hearing it because I wanted to hear it.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The biggest mystery is that they never played it live. Why for G;Ds sake? It's perfect!

Old 01-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It was the song that got me hooked in 77 and still would be my top 3 MAC songs of all time.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
The biggest mystery is that they never played it live. Why for G;Ds sake? It's perfect!
Stevie's childish bitterness, over it taking the place of Silver Springs.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought it was "Heaven knows what you do.."
Old 01-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Stevie's childish bitterness, over it taking the place of Silver Springs.
Personally, I am bored of hearing Silver Springs performed on every FM tour since '97. I would rather have just about any other song performed in its place. It especially does not fit well sandwiched between Don't Stop and Songbird on the current tour.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Yes it does...."you say you love me but you don't know" fits perfectly which "hey you know what you do" As in F'in with my head. That being said I think Glee changed the lyrics from "hanging on to you".
Not sure if it's what On Ice meant by not fitting, but I hear 5 syllables being sung. "Hey, you know what to do" is 6. But also, the line in question directly follows "You got me rockin' and a reelin'" so in addition to the syllable theory "Hangin' onto you" makes more sense when strung together. Who the hell knows though.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It sounds like "hangin' onto you" IMO.