Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bekka Singing with Shane Dwight

Excerpt from an article on Shane Dwight, Record.net by Tony Sauro 10-27-2011
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...301/-1/NEWSMAP

His musical concept is modified by the harmony vocals of Nashville-based Bekka Bramlett and the McCrary Sisters (Ann, Regina and Alfreda).

"It definitely seemed like that was appropriate," said Dwight, employing a soul-gospel vibe for the first time. "They're songs that needed it. I was going, 'Holy crap. Bekka Bramlett's gonna be here tomorrow. Wow. How cool is that?' It wasn't contrived."

It was suggested by co-producer Kevin McKendree, Dwight's neighbor who's helped the Californian connect with Music City's fertile community.

"There's so much creativity here," said Dwight, who grew up on his family's five-acre horse and cattle ranch in Morgan Hill. "There are so many totally, enormously talented musicians. Everybody ends up playing with each other. It's an inspiration to my heart and soul. It's really cool. I'll never regret it (moving there)."

Plus, where he lives - "out on a country road with red barns" - reminds him of Morgan Hill and Sycamore Valley Ranch, where he stays in Northern California.

"Call Me" and "Leave the Light On," which open and close the album, and "Love's Last Letter" are tunes he's "slowly" introducing and "honing" on stage.

"I like people to live with the songs for a minute," Dwight said Monday after driving home from a show in Montgomery, Ala. "Then, when they go, 'Hey, man, when are you gonna play that song?' I get the feeling people like it."

He and Rebekkah Bramlett, 43, Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett's daughter who once sang in Fleetwood Mac, now are blending their feelings as songwriters.

Rather than add another "White Lie" to the pile, Dwight still keeps his age private: "It's my pet peeve. One thing I hate is (industry) people going, 'Oh, you're 20. You're 17. You're 12. You're over 25, so you're not relevant any more.' Look at Lucinda Williams." She's 58 and totally brilliant.