The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-21-2002, 06:29 PM
Junior Ledgie

Exclamation Does anyone else notice this?

If this has been brought up numerous times before, (which I bet it has) then forgive me. It just seems a little odd.

Lindsey's voice seems to have gotten a lot deeper...even in such a short period of time from OOTC to The Dance. o.O Just wondering if anyone else noticed this.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

He lost his range...
Old 06-25-2002, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I mentioned this and I got kinda flamed.

I notice it most with the two versions of Magnet and Steel...the voice from the 70's IS not that voice he has now.

Its very masculine now...for before he probably could sing higher than the LOW Christine and Stevie at times LOL.

But I guess age, smoking and drinking does that to your voice. Unless you keep away from the latter two altogther...the voice just changes.

Almost EVERYONE suffers after 50...unless your voice was a certain way before...I bet Christine is almost the same...she had a liquor and cigarettes kinda voice before tho. With women it can only get sexier...shame its not that way with men as much.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

His whole register is a lot deeper than it used to be. He can still hit high notes - I'm thinking of the one in the Dance version of Go Insane - but a smooth transition from lower to higher is harder. It's part of life. The voice/vocal chords just don't remain as supple as they once did.

In some songs, live in concert, I would miss his younger voice. But at the same time, in other songs I actually like the lower better. So Afraid comes to mind. The deepness has given him some strength and muscle. Magnet and Steel is a pretty good example too actually. I like both versions for what his voice adds to each, in a very different way.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Let's not forget Go Your Own Way from the Dance. He hit the GO in go your own way properly all of once...the last time he sang it. The rest he overshot on. He just doesn't have the range anyway, I'm surprised they haven't taken in down for him.
-Brian
Old 06-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Still sounds great!

Yea Brian, totally agree with you re: Go Your Own Way (Dance).....the chorus just doesn't sound right....they're meant to go higher, and instead they go low, and it sounds....I'm not sure how to put it....."off"?

I agree with you Les aswell, he CAN still hit the high notes, but he can't sustain it throughout a chorus like he used to (check out some very early '75 versions of I'm So Afraid for an unimaginably high pitched voice!). I have very little knowledge about "singing terms" but I'll try to explain: it's those bits on Big Love and Go Insane he does where he sustains a relatively low note and then his voice "drops back" to a really high note for a moment - he's done that really well since the OOTC cradle tour: example: The second time he says this on the Dance video :"So I go...i-innnn...s-ANE".....the "ANE" bit is a whole octave (or two!)higher than the "ins" bit.....it sounds really good.

His deeper voice was perfect for "I'm So Afraid" on The Dance Tour....it put the song on fire!!!

Old 06-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Still sounds great!

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
it's those bits on Big Love and Go Insane he does where he sustains a relatively low note and then his voice "drops back" to a really high note for a moment - he's done that really well since the OOTC cradle tour: example: The second time he says this on the Dance video :"So I go...i-innnn...s-ANE".....the "ANE" bit is a whole octave (or two!)higher than the "ins" bit.....it sounds really good.
Yeah, but at the end of Go Insane, when he takes it up a bit, the "Go" and "Call" sound strangled! "So I Go(squawk)oo innsane, like I always do, an I Ca(squawk)all your name...." I guess that's called the "voice tries to jump to high notes from a bunch of low notes but can't and instead attempts to claw its way up with shrill noises."

At the end of Here Comes the Sun, when he was doing his Paul Revere-type proclamation of the approaching "SUN!!! SUN!!!! SUN!!!!! HERE IT COMES!!!!!!!!!" - there was the same kind of problem.

Maybe part of it is that it's so hard to play guitar and sing at the same time that he loses his high-note-hitting concentration! :-)

You know what, though, I definitely like his talking voice better now. I love Lindsey, but he used to sound kind of whiney when he talked in the past. Not all the time, but occasionally. When that would happen, I would always think "How can he sound so whiney talking and so sexy singing?" lol

Old 06-25-2002, 11:21 PM
Ledgie

Nancy,

You made me snort ginger tea onto my keyboard with your Lindsey-as-parrot go your own way. My husband thinks he sounds like someone torturing a Yorkie at the end of The Chain from Dance. Maybe if the whole come back thing doesn't work out he -- Lindsay that is, not my husband -- could get a job doing animal impersonations.
mim, hiccuping
Old 06-26-2002, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default YEEEESSSSSS Nancy...

Your'e so right!! Who cares what he sings like ( he's great anyway ) but he's got a V-E-R-Y sexy voice........
Old 06-26-2002, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart Sigh...

Another vote for Mister Sexy Voice!!! I love to hear him sing, I don't care WHAT it is!! I love that high squeaky voice he use to have and I love his mature sounding voice today. GIVE ME MORE OF LINDSEY'S SEXY VOICE! YAY!!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 06-26-2002 at 10:44 PM..
Old 06-27-2002, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know anything about his voice being "sexy" but I can comment on his loss of range. I understand that it's part of the natural progression of life but some of the older tunes are hurt a little by the fact he can't get those high notes anymore...Luckily he is changing his singing style to match, based on his new cuts from "Screws"

Stevie has had the same problem over the years....for a perfect example...check out Rhiannon from the ROsebud special, circa 1977-78. Then watch the Dance version....she even stopped trying to hit those old notes....The newer version is much more subdued....

Just my 2 cents....

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 06-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67

Stevie has had the same problem over the years....for a perfect example...check out Rhiannon from the ROsebud special, circa 1977-78. Then watch the Dance version....she even stopped trying to hit those old notes....The newer version is much more subdued....
Hmm...ya think so? ;-)

Old 06-28-2002, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

I guess all the screaming back in the day did its damage. (not to mention the mountains of coke that was inhaled....)

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller