The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 AM
Senior Ledgie

I found this little blurb from Interview Magazine 6/03. Don't know how factual it is, we all know Stevie changes her stories often.

MD: I know Christine McVie decided not to be a part of the reunion, but did she contribute to the album in any way?

SN: She did. We used some recorded parts she performed in 1996 [for Lindsey Buckingham’s solo album]. She does some ooh-ooh-oohs on one of the songs, and she plays a little keyboard on another. It’s all very subtle. In a million years, she would never have thought that those little parts would end up being on a record in 2003. It was hard for me when I went back in there was no Christine. Did I miss her? Every day. Did I wish she were there? Absolutely. But she did not want to go on the road. It’s not that she wouldn’t have done this record; she would have. But if she couldn’t go on the road [to promote it], what would we have done if her songs had been the singles? We all tried to talk her out of her decision. Each one of us did. But there was a point in time where she looked at me and said, “I don’t want to be a road dog, ever again.” It’s that look in somebody’s eyes, when you know it’s for real. Her eyes said, “I can never go back.” So I said, “Okay. I release you.”

Then I found this from Classic Rock Magazine 6/03:

“After that, Lindsey really took the reins in lieu of the fact that Chris wasn’t there as musical partner, and with John’s and my support he got a very clear picture of where he wanted to take things. Chris it still there on one of the older tracks though – she’s singing and playing organ on Bleed To Love Her.”

~Kim
Old 01-31-2006, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird4

MD: I know Christine McVie decided not to be a part of the reunion, but did she contribute to the album in any way?

SN: She did. We used some recorded parts she performed in 1996 [for Lindsey Buckingham’s solo album]. She does some ooh-ooh-oohs on one of the songs, and she plays a little keyboard on another. It’s all very subtle. In a million years, she would never have thought that those little parts would end up being on a record in 2003. It was hard for me when I went back in there was no Christine. Did I miss her? Every day. Did I wish she were there? Absolutely. But she did not want to go on the road. It’s not that she wouldn’t have done this record; she would have. But if she couldn’t go on the road [to promote it], what would we have done if her songs had been the singles? We all tried to talk her out of her decision. Each one of us did. But there was a point in time where she looked at me and said, “I don’t want to be a road dog, ever again.” It’s that look in somebody’s eyes, when you know it’s for real. Her eyes said, “I can never go back.” So I said, “Okay. I release you.”
Thanks for the quotes. I'm assuming that Stevie is referring to "Steal Your Heart Away" & "Bleed To Love Her". But the keyboard could maybe be "Murrow" since it does sound like there may be a keyboard on that track.

By the way, this is that ridiculous quote from Stevie about not allowing Chris to record because she didn't want to tour for Say You Will. That's just nonsense, in my opinion.

Quote:
Then I found this from Classic Rock Magazine 6/03:

“After that, Lindsey really took the reins in lieu of the fact that Chris wasn’t there as musical partner, and with John’s and my support he got a very clear picture of where he wanted to take things. Chris it still there on one of the older tracks though – she’s singing and playing organ on Bleed To Love Her.”
I don't hear an organ on "Bleed To Love Her". I certainly hear her voice, but no organ.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
By the way, this is that ridiculous quote from Stevie about not allowing Chris to record because she didn't want to tour for Say You Will. That's just nonsense, in my opinion.
I agree. If she had participated in the album then there would have been say 6 of her songs that they couldn't do instead of the 30 that they already couldn't do!

I never saw the problem at the time and I still don't.

SYW lacked balance (Christine) and was too long for two songwriters. Now three songwriters would have been a different matter.

Gail
Old 01-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks for the articles kim. . .

i know this has been discussed before, but i just had to reiterate that i never understood that logic at all. if we take stevie at her word, and it's true that they wouldn't let chris be on SYW because she didn't want to tour, that is total insanity. i mean, it's ok for lindsey not to tour behind tango, but not ok for christine? what a double standard.

and while i love SYW, i would have been in love with it if christine had been a part of the record.

ok back to the salt mines for me!