User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
something similar happened with the band New Order (formally Joy Division) the Bass player, Peter Hook, left the band (or was booted depending on your pov) and he now considers them a tribute band
Yes, in many ways the loss is comparable. Hooky’s bass is arguably the sound of New Order and his antoginistic relationship with the band’s lead guitarist and singer Bernard Sumner is arguably the tension responsible for the bracing impact of their releases. However, as early as 1993, New Order really became Barney’s band. He is a genius. And he doesn’t want disagreement. Hooky declared the band disbanded in a public fit that lead to his ouster and the ultimate resurrection of the band without him. I call it Bernard Sumner’s New Order. Which is a great thing but different thing.

On their last album together, I listen to “I’ve Got a Feeling” the counterpoint of Barney’s guitar and Hooky’s bass always makes me cry in the bridge after Barney sings “There wasn’t a day that I wasn’t true / You were the one I thought I knew” and then the outro after “You can’t hurt me / you Can’t hold me / why can’t you see you don’t own me / ... / people may come and people may go / but yours was the love I got to know”

They love each other so much they think they hate each other.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
When I saw FM on the Say You Will tour, the audience used the new songs to go to the bathroom or get in line to get beer or food. Apparently, the band realized this early on because they dropped some of the new songs for their classics as the tour progressed.
This has happened many times and not just to the Mac. The casual Mac fans storm out of the arena for Rick and Billy tunes (1987 and 1990). Or even worse, anytime Stevie leaves the stage. In 1987 my heart sank during Over My Head. On that tour Stevie did not participate on Over My Head and You Make Loving Fun. She went backstage. Over My Head was a hit song but when Stevie left the stage about 20% of the arena got up and left. You can see this from the stage. I stayed put but I still felt shame and embarrassment
So it even happens during "hits."
Old 09-03-2018, 02:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Aren't we forgetting Mock Fleecewood's pronouncement that there was a possibility of them releasing some "calling cards" before the tour?

hold me.

Fleetwood Mac have been a tribute band since Unleashed when they were just bunging it on. how many times can you seriously tour with NO new music
Old 09-03-2018, 05:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post

hold me.

Fleetwood Mac have been a tribute band since Unleashed when they were just bunging it on. how many times can you seriously tour with NO new music

You’re right , they really are taking the mick, no pun intended.
They would not be able to do tour on top of tour anywhere else but The USA. America is so large with a big population, they can churn out the same old same old.....
People only see them once in awhile but it’s still enough to make gazillions of cash....
No new material required....
No offence it’s just the USA is so large, and can accommodate them over and over.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Yes, in many ways the loss is comparable. Hooky’s bass is arguably the sound of New Order and his antoginistic relationship with the band’s lead guitarist and singer Bernard Sumner is arguably the tension responsible for the bracing impact of their releases. However, as early as 1993, New Order really became Barney’s band. He is a genius. And he doesn’t want disagreement. Hooky declared the band disbanded in a public fit that lead to his ouster and the ultimate resurrection of the band without him. I call it Bernard Sumner’s New Order. Which is a great thing but different thing.

On their last album together, I listen to “I’ve Got a Feeling” the counterpoint of Barney’s guitar and Hooky’s bass always makes me cry in the bridge after Barney sings “There wasn’t a day that I wasn’t true / You were the one I thought I knew” and then the outro after “You can’t hurt me / you Can’t hold me / why can’t you see you don’t own me / ... / people may come and people may go / but yours was the love I got to know”

They love each other so much they think they hate each other.
I feel they changed music twice, once as Joy Division with their Doors meet Kraftwerk poetic doom rock and again as New Order by bringing dance music to the alternative rock arena. To go from such gloom to euphoria is historic and bizarre! Hooky and Barney should bury it and get on. It's not like it all goes on forever and they have a history together that should be celebrated that way.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
I feel they changed music twice, once as Joy Division with their Doors meet Kraftwerk poetic doom rock and again as New Order by bringing dance music to the alternative rock arena. To go from such gloom to euphoria is historic and bizarre! Hooky and Barney should bury it and get on. It's not like it all goes on forever and they have a history together that should be celebrated that way.
Yes, when Mr. Debbie Downer died, the band took off into the stratosphere.

Yes, they should have just stayed Bad Lieutenant—truly Barney’s band—but the fact is the brand makes a difference, ensuring ears to hear and butts to buy seat tickets.

In many ways, the Bad Lt experiment reflects the BuckVie experiment. If that album had been called Fleetwood Mac... but they were also being honest to the fireflies. It having, relatively, failed, Mac became Stevie’s Mac and the offending element ejected.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 09-04-2018 at 05:50 AM..
Old 09-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Yes, when Mr. Debbie Downer died, the band took off into the stratosphere.

Yes, they should have just stayed Bad Lieutenant—truly Barney’s band—but the fact is the brand makes a difference, ensuring ears to hear and butts to buy seat tickets.

In many ways, the Bad Lt experiment reflects the BuckVie experiment. If that album had been called Fleetwood Mac... but they were also being honest to the fireflies. It having, relatively, failed, Mac became Stevie’s Mac and the offending element ejected.
all this sucks for both bands, but Barney was here and he looked really happy. Maybe the drugs? Maybe no Hook? Both?
For months I've been ready to burst into tears over Lindsey's departure. ...then, I realized he's got a 6 vinyl lp box set coming out, he's gonna make a bundle, I'm gonna buy it to show support and it sounds like a pretty definitive solo career recap.....

I do, however, feel there's much more of a chance of a New Order regroup of core members than a Mac regroup at this point.