User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
I dunno why they added it in the first place....

I would have prefered Monday Morning in it's place.
They rehearsed it - but chose not to - maybe because CM was not there. I LOVE Monday Morning and wish they would open with it.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
They rehearsed it - but chose not to - maybe because CM was not there. I LOVE Monday Morning and wish they would open with it.

I know they rehearsed it. They said it didn't have a "place" in the set. Whatever that means.... They don't know how to switch stuff around in order to fit in a new song.

"Hrmm....Let's just drop Gypsy and put Sara in it's place....Come into Sara....sounds good!" GOOD GRIEF!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I am sure Linds was just so disgusted with her singing during DLMDA that he insisted it be dropped. Seriously, does Stevie ever sound even remotely decent on anything she does?

Basically she should pack it in, as she has lost quite alot of her range. She is no longer talented.
Lindsey may not have been disgusted by it, but I certainly wasn't impressed.

Yeah, she definitely should pack "Rhiannon" in. "Beautiful Child" was fantastic, but she's kidding herself if she thinks she can do justice to "Rhiannon" anymore.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ya maybe Stevie could put a little more effort into some of those songs night after night, but compared to Lindsey's singing she sounds awesome. Your letting him off pretty easy. Most of the boots I've heard he is singing way off. Stevie sounds great when she is singing harmony, so DLMD was probably dropped because Lindsey is a moody diva
Old 02-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
I finally got the Madison WI bootleg... The good version! WEll I heard Don't Let Me Down Again. It rock! I wish they wouldn't of dropped it! It rocks! Who cares what the audience though of it.... It was awesome! The guitar work was wonderful in it. I wish it wouldn't of been dropped.
I would much rather heard that then Say You Will, Say Goodbye, or Goodbye Baby.. which are great songs.
Its such a sham.
I take it that you wish it would not have been dropped from the set list
Old 02-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryscutter
Ya maybe Stevie could put a little more effort into some of those songs night after night, but compared to Lindsey's singing she sounds awesome. Your letting him off pretty easy. Most of the boots I've heard he is singing way off. Stevie sounds great when she is singing harmony, so DLMD was probably dropped because Lindsey is a moody diva
I LOVE CARNIVALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I LOVE CARNIVALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh ya, I'm addicted to it. It gets more interesting every week
Old 02-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryscutter
oh ya, I'm addicted to it. It gets more interesting every week
The Clan thing is a little silly - but I love it. I wait VERY impatiently for Sundays!!!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Fleetwood Mac used to play it in A. What key did they drop it to last year?
They lowered it to the key of E ......

What on earth were they thinking??
Old 02-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
They lowered it to the key of E ......

What on earth were they thinking??
Did you notice the less prominent guitar playing out of key - or is that must my imagination
Old 02-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Did you notice the less prominent guitar playing out of key - or is that must my imagination
It wasn't as zesty. What I don't think they realized is that by lowering the key it had the audial illusion of dragging the song down. Ya know- like in the old days when you would take a 45rpm single and click the speed control down to 33rpm.

Add to that the listless vocals dragging it down even further and you've got a receipe for disaster. One of the main reasons that song kicked ass to begin with was the fact that both Lindsey and Stevie were wailing the lead and high harmony. I dunno.... Some impartial party needs to get in on those rehearsal sessions and kick some ass and sense into their heads when they decide to do these things.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It wasn't as zesty. What I don't think they realized is that by lowering the key it had the audial illusion of dragging the song down. Ya know- like in the old days when you would take a 45rpm single and click the speed control down to 33rpm.

Add to that the listless vocals dragging it down even further and you've got a receipe for disaster. One of the main reasons that song kicked ass to begin with was the fact that both Lindsey and Stevie were wailing the lead and high harmony. I dunno.... Some impartial party needs to get in on those rehearsal sessions and kick some ass and sense into their heads when they decide to do these things.
I was their and saw it live. The "defect" you bring up was very apparent - though I enjoyed hearing the song for the novelty of it.

I think they could keep the key perhaps if they returned it to its original speed. But higher and faster is ALWAYS better in this kind of thing
Old 02-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
From A to E is a helluva drop. Did Lindsey continue to play the song in A & just rely on artificial means to drop the tuning, or did he actually play it in E?

That could be why they dropped it. He's been playing the song for thirty years in A, tries to learn it in E in order to accommodate older vocals (his & Stevie's), & just can't get it to hang in the new key. That happens a lot with people who learn a song all over in a different key. Fingering changes, hand position changes, attack changes, etc. And then you've got your memory problems -- halfway through the song in the new key, your fingers "remember" a lick from the old key & inadvertently insert it. It's a bitch.

Of course, pianists using electronic or digital boards don't have this problem owing to the magical little transpose button.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
From A to E is a helluva drop. Did Lindsey continue to play the song in A & just rely on artificial means to drop the tuning, or did he actually play it in E?

That could be why they dropped it. He's been playing the song for thirty years in A, tries to learn it in E in order to accommodate older vocals (his & Stevie's), & just can't get it to hang in the new key. That happens a lot with people who learn a song all over in a different key. Fingering changes, hand position changes, attack changes, etc. And then you've got your memory problems -- halfway through the song in the new key, your fingers "remember" a lick from the old key & inadvertently insert it. It's a bitch.

Of course, pianists using electronic or digital boards don't have this problem owing to the magical little transpose button.
It sounded like they played it in the lower key throughout - though I am no expert on keys by any means. He looked positively pissed after it and many noticed it. To be fair, that night in Madison had previous guitar malfunctions that stopped the show twice - so maybe during the song, he realized his guitar or someone else's was out of tune. One of them sure sounded out of tune to me, but that could be the effect Tower referred to earlier. Having said all of that - it was way cool to hear it and I wish they would have kept it in the set.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Some impartial party needs to get in on those rehearsal sessions and kick some ass and sense into their heads when they decide to do these things.
When we talked with Ray Lindsey in Madison, he didn't seem too thrilled that he would be up on stage playing DLMDA. In fact, he seemed a bit mystified by it. So maybe someone did try to tell them but to no avail.