Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default No, no, John, it's all in your mind

This is how Mick tells about the previous days of the Rumours sessions, finishin 1975 tour and when all couples were breaking up.

The whole band. Chris and John's seven-year marriage was already over by then. Stevie and Lindsey's relationship, four years old, dissolved when Stevie walked out. And Jenny and I . . .

The McVies' marriage cracked apart for good while we were living in a rented house in Florida, having taken some time off from touring. We decided to use the vacation to rehearse and write for the next album. It was a strange house, a run-down place with overgrown grass and frogs in the green swimming pool in which we half expected to see William Holden floating facedown. There was barbed wire around the property and a rather odd atmosphere. Our big equipment trucks were pulled up in the driveway, and we stayed there with the readies and their girlfriends. "Go Your Own Way" and a couple other songs were written there.

John and Chris were only nominally married at that point. Actually, she'd been seeing our lighting director, Curry Grant, in secret while we were on the road. John suspected something was going on. He'd say to me, "He's doing her, you know." And I'd say, "No, no, no, John, it's all in your mind." Soon Curry started having trouble with the rest of the crew; they saw what was happening and didn't like it. It got so Curry couldn't ride in the van with the rest of them. Colonel Courage would berate the readies, and they'd say they hated Curry 'cause he was messing around with Christine. So the colonel and I confronted her, and she told us it was true. John was very upset, and we fired Curry because it was disrupting the band. Chris was told it had to be that way, and she understood.

That was our attitude. No matter how awful things became, the band had to come first. It was do or die. But it made touring very, very hard. John and I became very close to each other again because our marriages were both failing. We rode around the U.S.A. in our station wagons and talked and talked. That's how we got through. When that part of the tour was over, Chris moved out of the house she and John had bought in Topanga. After Chris left, John lived there with another lady, but it didn't work out. By then, John didn't fancy the idea of living in a house anyway. When we were all living in England at Benifols, he and Bob Welch used to go to the boat shows in Portsmouth and Southampton. So when we got back, John went down to Marina Del Rey, bought a fiberglass ketch he named Adelie (after his favorite family of penguins), and lived on it for a year.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Doing her"

Charming!

Gail
Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
"Doing her"

Charming!

Gail
I didn't realize that phrase was in vogue that long ago. Even if Mick said this in 1990, I didn't know they were using that term then. Of course, today, it's all over the place.

Michele
Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Daddy's doing sister Sally" ... Warren Zevon, "Play It All Night Long," 1980. Just one vocabulary reference for your contemplation.

And who are the "readies" the article refers to? Maybe it means "roadies"? (lol) Although those individuals might like it best of all if the article said "guitar techs."
Old 06-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The book was issued in ealry 90s. Maybe Mick add the expression himself, cause he probably doesn't remember the exact John's words. (I remember in Friends season 1 when Paolo, the italian neighbor said "I do Rachel")

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
And who are the "readies" the article refers to?
Actually I'm not typing from the book. Though I do have the paperback edition, some ledgie few years ago shared it in a txt file. It has several typo errors. Humm.. actually I think they are digitalization errors, cause I also see "Pleetwood" instead of Fleetwood in some paragraphs. And the photo pages look funny too

Last edited by Villavic; 06-28-2011 at 05:33 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie has a lyric which I can't place right now that seems to imply something along the "do" lines. I can't think of the song. But it's like, "What does Mary do all day," and the answer is something like "him." My memory is fuzzy. I just recall thinking that it could be interpreted as being illicit.

Michele
Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As early as 1972, Bonnie Raitt sang "There's nothing left to do but me and you" on "You Told Me Baby" from her album "Give it Up."
Old 06-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Stevie has a lyric which I can't place right now that seems to imply something along the "do" lines. I can't think of the song. But it's like, "What does Mary do all day," and the answer is something like "him." My memory is fuzzy. I just recall thinking that it could be interpreted as being illicit.

Michele
"She does the stars - and she does you!"

- from "Julia"

Stevie has indeed done a few stars... lol

Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
"Doing her"

Charming!

Gail

I'm sure it comes off less graphic in John's accent: Ay's doe-in' uh, y'know?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
The book was issued in ealry 90s. Maybe Mick add the expression himself, cause he probably doesn't remember the exact John's words. (I remember in Friends season 1 when Paolo, the italian neighbor said "I do Rachel")

Actually I'm not typing from the book. Though I do have the paperback edition, some ledgie few years ago shared it in a txt file. It has several typo errors. Humm.. actually I think they are digitalization errors, cause I also see "Pleetwood" instead of Fleetwood in some paragraphs. And the photo pages look funny too
Agreed. I gave up on the idea that Mick's recollections of dialogue had any accuracy when he recalled Lindsey screaming, "F*ck the lot of you!"
Has any American ever referenced "the lot of you"?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
Agreed. I gave up on the idea that Mick's recollections of dialogue had any accuracy when he recalled Lindsey screaming, "F*ck the lot of you!"
haha!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Carol Ann did say that Mick had them all calling fans punters.

Michele
Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Carol Ann did say that Mick had them all calling fans punters.

Michele
That's a strange term. I punted on the Cambridge River many years ago, which is basically standing on a floating wooden platform and propeling yourself down the river by pushing a big stick against the river bottom. Fans=punters?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I say this all the time, except I do the Philadelphia version: "f*** the lotta you's."
Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
That's a strange term. I punted on the Cambridge River many years ago, which is basically standing on a floating wooden platform and propeling yourself down the river by pushing a big stick against the river bottom. Fans=punters?
Which basically has two main meanings...customers (eg get the punters through the door) or gamblers (eg take a punt). Certainly used a lot in horse racing.