User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
How about nixing Stand Back from the set entirely, especially now, since it leaves room for Christine's songs?
I hope you could tell I wasn't serious. I 100% agree that Stand Back shouldn't be in the setlist. It's the only recognizable Stevie song I could see potentially starting a show. Gold Dust Woman has the fantastic, moody opening but usually runs too long for an opener.

My biggest suggestion a few weeks back in the setlist thread was Tusk. I loved how that song was deconstructed in the pilot of The Americans and could be a great opening song, building from instrumental only and then picking up tempo. Plus, it's never been an opener before. Second Hand News was fantastic last year and gave the beginning of the concert so much life...much more successful than Monday Morning, which isn't as exciting, as fast, nor the jolt you need to start a show.

I don't see a Christine song for the opener, as they might want to properly introduce her, welcome her back to the band before she goes into Say You Love Me as her first song.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I wouldn't open with the Chain just because I don't think the first song gets full attention. That's why I like it second. During the first song the audience is just happy to see you. They're screaming and reacting, not focusing, so the first minute or so of the opening just gets swallowed up in audience enthusiasm. I'd put a song up front that I don't mind not relishing in its entirety. But it has to be exciting too. Unfortunately, Monday Morning wasn't exciting the last time it was used, so I wouldn't use that again, BUT it does fit my criteria of being a song that I can afford to be a partial "throw away."

I understand there is a reason when Letterman does his Top Ten list that he never has the best joke at #1. I've never actually heard that reason explained, but I assumed that I knew already. The audience is all set to clap at the end, no matter what he says. The segment is wrapping up and a part of them is already distracted and has stopped concentrating on the humor. So, they don't want to waste a good joke at the end when no one will fully appreciate it. That's my guess. That's how I feel about the opening song too.

Now, for the video, it's great to open with The Chain or some other really hot number on dvd, if not in real life.

Michele
Old 06-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I hope you could tell I wasn't serious. I 100% agree that Stand Back shouldn't be in the setlist. It's the only recognizable Stevie song I could see potentially starting a show. Gold Dust Woman has the fantastic, moody opening but usually runs too long for an opener.

My biggest suggestion a few weeks back in the setlist thread was Tusk. I loved how that song was deconstructed in the pilot of The Americans and could be a great opening song, building from instrumental only and then picking up tempo. Plus, it's never been an opener before. Second Hand News was fantastic last year and gave the beginning of the concert so much life...much more successful than Monday Morning, which isn't as exciting, as fast, nor the jolt you need to start a show.

I don't see a Christine song for the opener, as they might want to properly introduce her, welcome her back to the band before she goes into Say You Love Me as her first song.

she use to open her solo shows with Gold Dust Woman
Old 06-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll bet the house on Say You Love Me.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think for the first show they should open with a Christine song, and I know this won't happen, but I'd love it to be Oh Daddy. That would really be amazing.

For the rest of the tour, I think they'll go with something fast to get the crowd going.

Monday Morning hasn't been great when they've tried that, so why not stick with last years.

1. Oh Daddy/Second Hand News
2. Say You Love Me
3. I Don't Want to Know

Basically a fast song from each writer, and also songs (minus SHN) that haven't been performed since Christine's gone.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^It would actually be great if they opened with IDWTK, but so funny. After all of the years that Lindsey and Stevie didn't do it as a duet, if they pulled it out with Christine back that would be so backwards and hilarious.

Also, it's upbeat, an energetic way to kick things off, but not a fan favorite, so it won't get wasted in the clamor of them first taking the stage, since no one would pay that much attention to it anyway.

It's just right. You know it if you have Rumours, as millions of people do, but you aren't familiar with it from the radio, so it's like something that casual and focused fans can both appreciate a bit, without being a "hit" that needs to be reserved for a special place in the set.

Michele
Old 06-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ooooh, very interesting. I never considered Oh Daddy for an opener. That would be so fascinating, to start with a wonderfully atmospheric song. So many opportunities for cool staging and lighting (though Fleetwood Mac never tends to pay too much mind to that stuff, unfortunately). And then crank it up with Second Hand News or The Chain. Begin slow with a relatively short song, and then ending with a slow song, sending the audience out all mushy mushy.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, I should add if they chose to start that way (with an Oh Daddy type song), I don't know if the song wouldn't get full (or close to full) attention. In that case, if done correctly, it could be absolutely captivating, with the audience completely absorbed. I've seen some musicians (stars usually) do this, where they have the entire audience in their hand and raise the drama in the first number before going into a more upbeat song.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
I think for the first show they should open with a Christine song, and I know this won't happen, but I'd love it to be Oh Daddy. That would really be amazing.

For the rest of the tour, I think they'll go with something fast to get the crowd going.

Monday Morning hasn't been great when they've tried that, so why not stick with last years.

1. Oh Daddy/Second Hand News
2. Say You Love Me
3. I Don't Want to Know

Basically a fast song from each writer, and also songs (minus SHN) that haven't been performed since Christine's gone.
Oh Daddy to open a show? What a kill-joy that would be.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh Daddy to open a show? What a kill-joy that would be.
I agree. I hear those crickets and my heart is roaring. I don't want to be quieted down right off the bat.

Michele
Old 06-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I agree. I hear those crickets and my heart is roaring. I don't want to be quieted down right off the bat.

Michele
I suppose your right on reflection. I think it would be nice to here a rare Christine song as the opener for her first concert however. Maybe warm ways? Quite cheerful, hasn't been played in ages?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From seeing other concerts and bands, I think a slow open only works when the song is relatively quick---and it has to be staged correctly to be effective. I wish Fleetwood Mac cared more about stage design, lighting, staging, the works, etc. What they could do (but never would), is play a few bars of a slow song (Oh Daddy, for instance--the first two verses and refrain) and then go right into something more up beat as the rest of the band joins in, makes their appearances, the spots come on them for dramatic effect. This could really highlight voice and really could captivate an audience.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I wish Fleetwood Mac cared more about stage design, lighting, staging, the works, etc.
They have struck me as caring about that. Michele
Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Tusk
Tango in the Night
I always entertained the thought of Tango in the Night being a great opener! Glad to a see like-minded Ledgie.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:32 PM
PenguinHead
This message has been deleted by PenguinHead.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I always entertained the thought of Tango in the Night being a great opener! Glad to a see like-minded Ledgie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickingham View Post
I agree with you PenguinHead on both counts.

I'm not going to see FM anytime soon, but I picked The Chain for a third option and gave it a twist just in case the band decides to go with the same old stand-by. You know.... mix it up a little. Which they probably won't do.

But I really hope they pick a Chris song as an opener.

In my opinion, they just shouldn't do any solo songs. I mean they have three singers again and alot of other songs to choose from.
When The Chain was first performed on the Rumours tour, it was in the latter end of the set list. It would make a great encoure.