Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very pretty.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never one of my favorite songs, and I don't think there's anything all that special about this cover. Still kind of boring.

...BUT...

I wholeheartedly agree that Stevie did a great job here. Her vocal is sublime, just like on the Don Henley song from last year. And again, that was also a song that just wasn't all that great.

Merely my own opinion, but I wish when other singer/songwriters (these days) ask her to be a guest on their songs that they actually choose songs that are exciting and "worthy" of her. I haven't heard anything of the sort in the last three decades. In all honesty I can only think of three (Whenever I Call You Friend, Insider and Gold) that are any good.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Never one of my favorite songs, and I don't think there's anything all that special about this cover. Still kind of boring.

...BUT...

I wholeheartedly agree that Stevie did a great job here. Her vocal is sublime, just like on the Don Henley song from last year. And again, that was also a song that just wasn't all that great.

Merely my own opinion, but I wish when other singer/songwriters (these days) ask her to be a guest on their songs that they actually choose songs that are exciting and "worthy" of her. I haven't heard anything of the sort in the last three decades. In all honesty I can only think of three (Whenever I Call You Friend, Insider and Gold) that are any good.

It's age. Her voice is not the same as is it was in the 70's/80's.

Last edited by BLY; 02-05-2016 at 09:58 PM..
Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have always loved "Southern Accents" and consider it one of Tom Petty's best songs (and I'm a major fan of his work). Considering how badly this could have been reinterpreted, I'm actually quite pleased with the outcome.

I think Stevie should have been featured earlier on with her harmony beginning at the start of the second verse and I don't like that Charles cuts in on the line "Got my own way of praying" during Stevie's verse, but it's not enough to destroy the track.

Stevie sounds great, if slightly mannered, but she generally offers up polite performances on other's tracks these days.

The overall production is pleasant, but slightly too slick and over the top towards the end.

I'd love Stevie to consider "Southern Accents" for inclusion in her next solo live show - I'd much prefer just her vocal on this song.

I note that Stevie instigated her inclusion on the recording:
http://theboot.com/charles-kelley-so...accents-video/

As an aside, I'd love to hear Stevie's take on Tom Petty's "A Face In The Crowd" - that could really be something.

PS Does Charles actually sing "praying" in the third verse? It sounds like "traying", whatever that might be.

Last edited by Phil; 02-05-2016 at 09:33 PM..
Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In all honesty I can only think of three (Whenever I Call You Friend, Insider and Gold) that are any good.
Did you ever hear the song Tunnel O' Love?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie sounds great. Love it.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It's age. Her voice is not the same as is it was in the 70's/80's.
I wasn't complaining about her voice. Like I said in my original post, I think she sounds GREAT here.

It's this version of the song itself that I don't like.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wasn't complaining about her voice. Like I said in my original post, I think she sounds GREAT here.

It's this version of the song itself that I don't like.

Sorry about that.......my bad!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Registered

stevie + tom petty = always good
Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In all honesty I can only think of three (Whenever I Call You Friend, Insider and Gold) that are any good.
What about Midnight Wind? Her vocal on that song blows the rest of her duets out of the water.

That being said, I LOVE this song. Not a massive fan of Tom Petty so I've never heard the original (Don't shoot me...) but I'm loving this. Stevie sounds sublime as well.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The legendary Stevie Nicks adds her touch on Kelley’s cover of Tom Petty’s “Southern Accents.” He tells Billboard that one doesn’t have to necessarily share a microphone with Nicks to be enchanted by her mere presence. “Every time I've ever been lucky enough to be in the same room as Stevie, it feels like a dream," he said. "I first met her while filming the CMT Crossroads special with Lady Antebellum. She is such an open book and incredibly refreshing that you forget for a moment that you're hanging out with your hero. She was very open to suggestions I made but she also had very strong convictions of her own as to what she thought would make for a great performance. The process was very collaborative.”

Kelley admitted the two found some common ground on the track. “We're both giant Tom Petty fanatics so we wanted to make sure that we did the song justice. She is also a close friend of Tom's, which I can't say for myself. I can only hope that Tom hears our version and it brings a smile to his face.”

Billboard
Old 02-11-2016, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
What about Midnight Wind? Her vocal on that song blows the rest of her duets out of the water.

That being said, I LOVE this song. Not a massive fan of Tom Petty so I've never heard the original (Don't shoot me...) but I'm loving this. Stevie sounds sublime as well.
Midnight Wins is her best vocal f all time.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Midnight Wins is her best vocal f all time.
That and Sore Loser are some of her favorite poker games.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brianher.../#460c7dea2015

Like when Fleetwood Mac’s Stevie Nicks decided to go her own way in the 1980s, Charles Kelley has gone solo this year, taking some time away from his Grammy-winning trio Lady Antebellum to release new music individually.

Nicks, 67, and Kelley, 34, recently combined their solo powers to record a cover of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ rawly reflective “Southern Accents” for Kelley’s debut album, The Driver. Kelley flew from Nashville to Los Angeles to meet Nicks at The Village, a famous recording studio with early 1900s stained-glass windows leftover from its Masonic temple days. Once inside a room, Kelley remembers Nicks saying, “Tom used to record in here a lot.”

“It was the same exact studio Tom Petty cut his version of ‘Southern Accents’ — it was so eerie,” Kelley told Forbes. “What a wild coincidence. It was a cool moment, man. She added this really cool element of vulnerability and haunting thing because the verse she sings is ‘There’s a dream I keep having where my mama comes to me,’ and who better than Stevie Nicks to sing a line like that.”

Her distinctive pining paired with his gravelly modern country vocals give the Southern roots ballad a refreshing twist, one not even Johnny Cash could provide when he covered it live in concert 10 years ago. Maybe it was the storied history of The Village, where Nicks and the rest of Fleetwood Mac famously in 1979 recorded the most expensive albums ever at the time (Tusk), that elevated the duet. Back then, the room was decorated with animal tusks and beads, exuding the hippie, rock-star vibe that defined Fleetwood Mac’s compelling aesthetic.

Nearly 40 years later, getting Nicks into the room with Kelley came together smoothly. Kelley’s producer Paul Worley was collaborating with Chris Isaak, who is managed by Nicks’ manager, Karen Johnston. “Paul played Karen a couple things and ‘Southern Accents’ was one of them and she was like, ‘Oh my gosh, I’ve got to play this for Stevie Nicks’ because she’s a huge Tom Petty fan and they’re friends,” Kelley remembered. “Southern Accents” is the title track from Petty and the Heartbreakers’ sixth studio album, which also spawned “Don’t Come Around Here No More,” a song about Nicks breaking up with Eagles rocker Joe Walsh.

“Stevie came back to me and said she’s so proud of [my rendition of ‘Southern Accents’] and loves how I did it, so I used it as an opportunity to ask her if she’d like to sing harmonies on it,” Kelley added. “I’m hoping Tom Petty gets to hear the song because I’m proud of it and maybe having Stevie Nicks on there will give him more incentive to listen to it.”

Kelley originally recorded his verses for “Southern Accents” and other songs on his debut solo album in a modest Nashville basement setting, which reminded him of the non-gaudy Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Alabama.

More on the link.

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Guys, look at these... I don't think I could love her more...
From the recording of Southern Accents

Many more on the photographer's page:

http://www.philipmacias.com/stevie-n...2cw2pochfkovus

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.