User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

BrightestYoungThings: Live DC: Talbot Tagora, Abe Vigoda @ DC9
By Libby
The room was packed for their set, and people requested songs, one guy asking for a Stevie Nicks cover. This was not a bad show. Hell, I even almost went to their Baltimore show the next night just to dance. But I refused to pay $12. ...
BrightestYoungThings - http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/
Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Gaea Times - Kolkata,West Bengal,India

Lindsay Lohan can play me only over my dead body, says Stevie Nicks
April 11th, 2009 NEW YORK - Legendary singer Stevie Nicks is not in favour of Lindsay Lohan doing a movie on her life. She insists that the 'Mean Girls' star can only do it "over her dead body".

http://blog.taragana.com/n/ny-man-ad...checks-113029/

Hey it's a newspaper from India so we can't blame them for rehashing old news.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

“Close to Her” sounds like Fleetwood Mac on synthesizers. I would classify this as being more akin to great songwriting than copying, although I can hear bits from “Dreams” and “Sara”, but that’s really a heavy-handed influence that’s all; I could make the same comparison between a couple Cut Copy songs like “Strangers in the Wind”. I honestly was waiting for Stevie Nicks to come in after the intro for “Close to Her”, and yet, I wasn’t disappointed when singer, Jessika Rapo sang instead. Rapo has a very nice voice, very melodic and gentle without being mushy or annoying. Despite the similarities to the aforementioned songs, the similarities was only ever in the actual instrumentation–Rapo’s singing was never like any of those songs; her singing was completely original. Anyway, I’m torn between loving and being annoyed by this album because of some of the ripoffs. Let’s just say that I certainly like Burning Hearts’ influences!

http://30daysinthehole.wordpress.com...music-reviews/
Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default July 18, 2009

KICKIN' OFF THE WEEKEND W/ LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM AND STEVIE NICKS

I was looking for Lindsey Buckingham's (Fleetwood Mac) song Going Insane but haven't located the version I want to post , I'll continue to look in a moment ...however I found this gem & it's really a diffrent twist to one of my fav. songs, Go Your Own Way as he sings it solo & nothing else.. no backup instrument, just belting it out. You may not like it but I like finding the diffrent to the more given version.
I've always looked more at Stevie Nicks as I have been told all my life I look like her. Well not anymore at our ages.. I was told that into my 40's anyway.
http://casadesabe.blogspot.com/2009/...uckingham.html
Old 07-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default July 18, 2009

Tai Babilonia wears a gold half-moon charm around her neck, given to her by Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac. The only time it ever came off was at the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, New York; she will never take it off again.

That year, an injury to her skating partner, Randy Gardner, caused them to withdraw from the Olympic competition. The two, dubbed "America's sweethearts," by the press and fans, saw their dreams of Olympic gold disappear.

These days, the figure skating legend has traded in her skates for a combination of different hats: mom, Ashlander, author, journalist and designer of skating apparel for women.

The Tai Collection is the culmination of a 10-year dream for Babilonia and has come into fruition over the past two years. The clothing line, distributed by Bear Hill Sports, is available on www.taibabilonia.com. Babilonia said the collection fills a need not available in other skating and dance apparel.
http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbc...303/-1/NEWSMAP
Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was surprised to learn that Tai was married to David Brenner. I used to see him on Carson all of the time and then didn't see him for years and he showed up on Conan and when he said he was married to her, I was shocked.

Michele
Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I was surprised to learn that Tai was married to David Brenner. I used to see him on Carson all of the time and then didn't see him for years and he showed up on Conan and when he said he was married to her, I was shocked.

Michele
Wow! That is a shocker--I had no idea. I dabbled in figure skating when I was young and had the pleasure of meeting her/seeing her skate several times. I remember crying when she and Randy had to withdraw from the Olympics...so sad.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from Glen Campbell article:

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.co...-anaheim/9487/

As it was, Campbell went so far overboard to balance out the newness with his most beloved songs –- he’d run out of Webbs after about 40 minutes –- that he hadn’t really left many zingers for his finale. Instead, after 16 songs, he turned the microphone over to his daughter (and backing vocalist) Debbie Campbell, so she could sing the Wanda Jackson classic “Silver Threads and Golden Needles” and (why? why?!?) Fleetwood Mac’s “You Making Lovin’ Fun.”
I gave up on him at that point, and here’s why: Campbell had already done much worse. It was one thing that he needed cheat sheets on a music stand to get through his Petty and Travis and Foo covers. (Look closely: He’s doing in that picture above.) It’s another, more unattractive form of laziness altogether to apparently need to refer to them during songs he has sung at least 5,000 times.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Q&A With Matthew Sweet

July 20, 2009

MAGNET: Why did you move to L.A. from New York, Matthew?

Sweet: I came out here to record Altered Beast with Richard Dashut, and Dashut severely turned me on to L.A. He was like this magic leprechaun that showed me all the groovy, classic L.A. factors. He took me to all the different areas. He showed me the old clubs on Sunset Strip and took me by where Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham and him rented a house together (when Dashut produced Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours and Tusk). And Stevie would go down to Ben Franks on Sunset Boulevard and work all day, and they would sit at the house and smoke pot. He turned me on to the California dream sort of thing.

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2009/0...matthew-sweet/
Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Posted: July 20, 2009 05:33 AM

Matthew and Susanna piloting their own leads or trading vocals is something they've worked out perfectly over the course of two album collaborations. They possess an enviable vocal blend, one that returns the words and melodies of Bob Weir's and Robert Hunter's "Sugar Magnolia" back to The Dead without harm. When the pair launches into Fleetwood Mac's Rumors kick-off, "Second Hand News," you get something eerily Buckingham/Nicks, as if the younger pair could fill those big shoes should there be some further evolution of the band (plus it doesn't hurt to have Lindsey Buckingham joining Matthew on guitars further proving the point.) Actually, their take on Todd Rundgren's "Couldn't I Just Tell You" comes off like one of the best Mac tracks you never heard.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r..._b_240657.html

Tracks:
1. Sugar Magnolia
2. Go All The Way
3. Second Hand News
4. Bell Bottom Blues
5. All The Young Dudes
6. You're So Vain
7. Here Comes My Girl
8. I've Seen All Good People: Your Move/All Good People
9. Hello It's Me
10. Willin'
11. Back Of A Car
12. Couldn't I Just Tell You
13. Gimme Some Truth
14. Maggie May
15. Everything I Won
16. Beware Of Darkness
Old 07-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While Hoffs' and Sweet's voices compliment each other well, perhaps best on Fleetwood Mac's "Second Hand News," there's little reinterpretation of the source material. It would have been nice to see these talented musicians come up with something a little more inspired.

http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/7...overs-volume-2
Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This time around there are a couple of special guest appearances. Mick Fleetwood sits in with Sweet and Hoffs on a rendition of Fleetwood Mac's "Second Hand News". Yes' Steve Howe pitches in for a cover of their "I've Seen All Good People".

http://www.snobsmusic.net/2009/07/ma...ffs-under.html
Old 07-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Daily Fix: Obama Knows Gays are still “Denied Their Rights ...
By the team
Also: My son cannot room with a gay!, Obama admits that gays are still denied their rights, 16-year old German popstar revealed - she used to be a boy!, True Blood has an antigay worldview?, Lady Gaga fashion, Stevie Nicks Pop Icon, ...
Autostraddle - http://www.autostraddle.com/
Old 07-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Concert ticket blues

By Tara Roberts on Mon, Jul 20, 2009

After an awesome weekend at Rendezvous in the Park, I got to thinking about how much I love concerts. I love the noise, the energy, the sudden camaraderie with a bunch of other singing, dancing people.

What I don’t love is the ticket price.

See, the problem is, I’m a classic rock fan, and most of the artists I love had their heyday quite some time ago. Their concerts still sell out stadiums — but since they’re all reunion tours, final tours, oh-my-gosh-he-could-die-anyday-now tours, the ticket prices tend to be a little spendy. Or a lot spendy.

A few months back I considered going to the Fleetwood Mac concert at the Tacoma Dome — until I saw the ticket price.

Pushing $100 for nosebleed seats? And compared to a lot of bands, that’s a good price?

Yeah, right, like I have the kind of money. I’m scared of heights, too.

Is it even possible to go to great concerts on a budget? My best angle so far has been to win tickets on the radio (I snagged two to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on my 21st birthday — woo hoo!) But that isn’t exactly the most effective strategy.
http://www.dnews.com/blogs/2009/07/2...-ticket-blues/
Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

At times, she came across as a sex kitten on songs like Freakem Dress, but other times, she seemed more innocent such as when she donned a full-length silver-beaded gown for the ballads At Last, the Etta James classic which she sang while portraying the singer in Cadillac Records, and Listen from Dreamgirls.

There was even a moment when she sang and danced opposite vintage footage of her former small self in a split screen during Radio.

Mostly though, it all seemed to be about Beyonce with not a lot of soul behind the music itself.

When she offered up a snippet of Bootylicious from her Destiny's Child days, it was really the sample of Stevie Nicks' Edge of Seventeen guitar hook that everyone was going nuts for.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/B/...02281-sun.html