Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Timothy who?
Timothy B Schmit is the second Eagles bass guitarist. He replaced Randy Meisner (who sang Take it to the Limit and other songs) in 1977 and was a member of the band until its end with Glenn Frey's passing. He previously replaced Randy Meisner in the band Poco which he was a member of for many years. In both cases, he was able to slot straight in, and handle the very high harmony vocals that Meisner had been doing in the bands.

His best-known lead vocal is the Eagles song "I Can't Tell You Why".

Live, his voice sounds absolutely fine, though he's starting to look a bit craggy.

I'll be evil and slip in a recommendation for his most recent solo album "Leap of Faith" which IMHO shows that as well as his vocals going from strength to strength, so is his songwriting. It's country-rock very much in the mould of early Eagles albums. EDIT: Though, I now realise this recommendation fits in perfectly with the topic of this thread. He just released the album, and it's very good. Timothy B fans are extremely happy with it. It's on Spotify.

Last edited by Ench; 02-17-2017 at 08:50 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Stevie's Voice in NOT shot...saw her solo and with Fleetwood Mac within the last few years...and her voice was much stronger than Christine or LB's....
Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ench View Post
Timothy B Schmit is the second Eagles bass guitarist. He replaced Randy Meisner (who sang Take it to the Limit and other songs) in 1977 and was a member of the band until its end with Glenn Frey's passing. He previously replaced Randy Meisner in the band Poco which he was a member of for many years. In both cases, he was able to slot straight in, and handle the very high harmony vocals that Meisner had been doing in the bands.

His best-known lead vocal is the Eagles song "I Can't Tell You Why".

Live, his voice sounds absolutely fine, though he's starting to look a bit craggy.

I'll be evil and slip in a recommendation for his most recent solo album "Leap of Faith" which IMHO shows that as well as his vocals going from strength to strength, so is his songwriting. It's country-rock very much in the mould of early Eagles albums. EDIT: Though, I now realise this recommendation fits in perfectly with the topic of this thread. He just released the album, and it's very good. Timothy B fans are extremely happy with it. It's on Spotify.
Thanks I'll check it out ..I was not sure how Timothy 's voice had held up but I know he is a spectacular singer..Just listen to his runs at the end of Poco's epic "Rose of Cimarron" .

Old 02-17-2017, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy333 View Post
Stevie's Voice in NOT shot...saw her solo and with Fleetwood Mac within the last few years...and her voice was much stronger than Christine or LB's....
It's not shot if you consider a 3 note range not shot. She should go into chanting. That way she can stay on one note the whole time! I will never see her sing live again anyway since not recording new music with FM is a deal breaker. Her recent solo stuff is uninspired and blandly produced.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Her last two solo albums were very inspiring and she hit notes she hasn't in years. Hardly 3 notes.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
I love Blondie. But her live performances now are very flat and tired
Well good lord she is 70!!!1 Let's see what you sound like when you turn 70.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

THE OP started this thread comparing Blondie's output to Stevie's output. I was commenting my opinion. I am a huge Blondie fan. I was simply offering an opinion. And in my opinion, Debbie Harry doesn't sound good anymore.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVED Blondie's album from 2013- Panic of Girls. There are some really good songs on there! My favorites were D-Day, Sunday Smile, Mother, and What I Heard. Check out samples from Amazon or youtube.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJfyvGbjh3c - This is the new song, it's catchy as hell. I had youtube on while my Year 7s (11-12 year old) worked yesterday and even they were like "This is quite good actually sir"

I agree her voice has had a lot of help in the studio, but new Blondie music is always good.

Stevie's voice is limited, but she's fortunate that her voice has always been known for having.... character rather than sounding perfect.

I think in Fleetwood Mac though, Christine will still sound identical in the studio and Stevie has been pretty consistent since SYW. Lindsey though... not so great, but again, he's fortunate in that his voice has never been the main draw.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Registered

stevie has plenty of vocal assistance not only in the studio but for live shows Deb probably doesn't They started as a punk/ new wave band and no one ( hard core original fans ) really expects her to sound great or pristine live

Last edited by olive; 02-18-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Old 02-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like some Blondie songs but I'm not familiar with them like I am with Stevie/FM. I think it's great that they are still putting out music. I also think Stevie is doing a fantastic job with this tour, and you can see she just loves getting to sing all her old songs, and I think we should let her.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Comparing musicians is like apples and oranges. Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac are not Debbie Harry and Blondie, so comparing their output does not mean anything. We fans are not privy to everything going on, and that is fine with me. I just posted about this is an earlier thread, but some of the novelists I work with write 3 books a year, some write 1 book every three years, some write 1 book a year. It doesn't mean one is better than the others or that one cares more about their fans than the others. Each writer does what is best for him/her, publishing/business matters aside. I think it holds true for musicians too.

Last edited by StevieandChris; 02-18-2017 at 01:20 PM..