User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac Backup Singers?

I hope this isn't a dumb question

When did they start touring with backup vocalists? Was The Dance the beginning of this?

Have they discussed why they started to tour with them at all?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn't it '87?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Wasn't it '87?
Yeah - per FM Legacy the TITN tour was the first with backup singers:

Sharon Celani: Backup Singer
Lori Perry-Nicks: Backup Singer
Elisecia Wright: Backup Singer
Old 02-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

I just looked, and you are right! They first show up during Everywhere, about six minutes in.

I'm wondering what the reasoning is/how that conversation went

Old 02-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That'll be Stevie's doing. Especially after Lindsey walked, she got her way a hell of a lot more. Especially as Sharon and Lori were her solo back up singers.

Although, I think the amount of production on TITN with the different layers and vocal effects would've meant that more musicians and singers would need to be on stage to recreate that
Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
That'll be Stevie's doing. Especially after Lindsey walked, she got her way a hell of a lot more. Especially as Sharon and Lori were her solo back up singers.

Although, I think the amount of production on TITN with the different layers and vocal effects would've meant that more musicians and singers would need to be on stage to recreate that
Oddly enough, Lindsey wanted another full-time guitarist, and it was going to be Billy Burnette.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Oddly enough, Lindsey wanted another full-time guitarist, and it was going to be Billy Burnette.
I can see needing the guitarist more than the backup singers.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I met Mick Fleetwood in 2009 he said the back up singers were added to amke the songs sound more liek the album verisons with due to layerd vocals.

Matt
Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
When I met Mick Fleetwood in 2009 he said the back up singers were added to amke the songs sound more liek the album verisons with due to layerd vocals.

Matt
Ah, that makes sense. I kind of like the variety of songs that don't sound just like the album version, but I get what he means.

Thanks all!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yeah, the entire "expanded lineup" was already planned for that '87 tour. (Stevie's "girls", additional guitars, keyboards & percussion, too)
Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not a fan of the back up singers.
Sharon and Lori sound shrill to me.
I liked Fleetwood Mac better when it was just the 3 singers - raw and live.
I think the last time was the Mirage tour.
The tours since 97 have been disappointing for me -- too rehearsed for my taste.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Tango in the night tour

I have seen the Mac many times, but the first time I saw them with an extra back up band members was for the Tango In The Night tour............

I like the back up singers and extra guitar players, but I have to admit.......the Unleashed tour was great and sounded better with Mick being the only guy up there with "two sticks and a drum".

I think it is something they have to do these days to compete with other big shows out there. When many are using pre-recorded tracks to get that great full sound...... atleast their music is still played live on stage {with the exceptions of a few samples on "world turning", "Go Insane", etc..... I love several of the other big artists out there, Madonna, Gaga.....etc, they do put on a good show....but you know alot of their stuff will be prerecorded.

Atleast with Fleetwood Mac, you know the vocals/music is live...........and you know that their songs are never played the same twice. Especially with Stevie, her lyrics change all the time....and I love that. Her songs are almost dictated by her mood that night..... that is a true artist that I will always pay good money to see. Ain't nothing fabricated about this band...or their members.

Last edited by Etisl; 02-21-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Almost all of the newer, younger acts, are just playing with tracks now. All the backing vocals, and many keyboard parts, are just magically there!

I secretly made a board recording of my favorite country singer(I was the "house" sound guy, and had secretly ran my "lines" to a hidden recorder, the day before the show). And I was SHOCKED by how prominent the backing vocals and fake keyboard parts were, in the mix. Hell, they were only playing about 60% of what the audience was hearing!

I too, would rather hear the skin and bones versions...it doesn't NEED to sound like the record, it needs to sound like you!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I think the last time was the Mirage tour.
The tours since 97 have been disappointing for me -- too rehearsed for my taste.
I didn't mind having an extra percussionist or Stevie's "girls", but having HIRED HAND guitarists & keyboards to fill out the sound was bs. At least, in '87 & '90, they HAD 2 guitarists. Even prior to that, Lindsey's tech, Ray Lindsey, would play 2nd guitar parts during certain songs (mainly "Gypsy" & "Go Your Own Way") which was ok. Even in '97 having Neale Heywood was alright, since he was brought in because he'd worked with Lindsey in the studio on a few tracks from the original GOS sessions, as well as his OotC touring band. But where I draw the line is with having a "double" for EACH instrument (except for John....he's a MONSTER!). Brett backing Christine, having both Carlos Rios (excuse me I think I threw up a little in my mouth) AND Neale was overkill.

However, the "guitar army" sound on "Eyes Of The World" during the SYW tour was pretty spine-tingling...but other than that one song, the redundancy was majorly annoying.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was never a fan of Fleetwood Mac using back up singers. I had a tough enough time getting it down that Lindsey wasn't touring in '87 let alone the back up band. I got use to it for the live shows. I still think that Stevie should use her own vocals for all her recordings on her solo albums. Bring Sharon and Lori out on tour only.