The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I absolutely love this CD. I don't care for I Don't Care and Carousel. Other than that, I find it near perfect. I love it.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I honestly think it's one of the best albums she's ever done. I'd really love to see her on tour promoting this record. Damn, if it wasn't for that other band she's in, hogging all of her time! Anyone else think that Christine should have just stayed in her English castle a little while longer?!

AND I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH MABEL NORMAND!

HOLLA!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I honestly think it's one of the best albums she's ever done. I'd really love to see her on tour promoting this record. Damn, if it wasn't for that other band she's in, hogging all of her time! Anyone else think that Christine should have just stayed in her English castle a little while longer?!

HOLLA!!!!!!!!
You can put me in the camp of people who are happy that Christine is back but think the timing couldn't have been worse. On With the Show should have been the 2013 tour, then this year could have been about a 24KG tour and a new FM album.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
You can put me in the camp of people who are happy that Christine is back but think the timing couldn't have been worse. On With the Show should have been the 2013 tour, then this year could have been about a 24KG tour and a new FM album.
Yep, that's how it should've gone down. Timing is everything.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Over all her best album! Some songs are better then others. If you Were My Love caught me off guard as the second song but it is now one of my favorites! It does work well as second song after all, maybe it just took getting used to? But the lyrics and vocals are just so soothing. It just took longer to really listen to this song.
Blue Water is fantastic too.
Mabel Normand is the one I listen to the most followed by Belle Fluer and 24 karat gold
Old 12-05-2014, 04:33 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post

HOLLA!!!!!!!!
I’m with you with all you’ve said.

Anyway, I loved the album from the very first moment and I still do. It played in my car nonstop for 3 or 4 weeks and accompanied me to work every day. Then I gave it a break and listened to many of the On With The Tour Show recordings.

The songs, I loved most from the very beginning, are still my favorites (Mabel Normand, Hard Advice, Twisted).
Blue Water, that I really disliked, has grown on me in a certain way. I still prefer the demo, but I now can listen to the song and appreciate it for what it is. I can part if from the demo so to say, I hope you understand what I try to explain.

There is one song, I totally changed my opinion about, and that is IYWML. In the beginning I found it too long, a little bit boring and going nowhere. Then, one evening after a long hard day, I drove home from work. It was late, dark and a little bit misty. I turned on my cd player (random mode) and IYWML started. And suddenly the song caught me. Stevies sad and vulnerable singing touched me very deeply. The magic of this song, which was hidden from me, was finally revealed. Since that day I really love it.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlikethesea View Post

There is one song, I totally changed my opinion about, and that is IYWML. In the beginning I found it too long, a little bit boring and going nowhere. Then, one evening after a long hard day, I drove home from work. It was late, dark and a little bit misty. I turned on my cd player (random mode) and IYWML started. And suddenly the song caught me. Stevies sad and vulnerable singing touched me very deeply. The magic of this song, which was hidden from me, was finally revealed. Since that day I really love it.
It would be perfect at the end of a long hard misty day. It grew on me too. My favorite now. Very vulnerable.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlikethesea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
It would be perfect at the end of a long hard misty day. It grew on me too. My favorite now. Very vulnerable.

I agree with the comments about IYWML. I wasn't struck by it at first. I love the mirage demo and the 24KG version seemed bland in comparison. Then I was listening to it in the car one day, and it must have suited my mood, and it sounded just perfect. I now love it as much as the demo - great to have 2 very different versions. I love it when a song doesn't click as first, and then later, as you say, the magic of it is revealed.

Its in my top 4 from 24KG along with Mabel Normand, 24 Karat Gold and Twisted

"with our crosses to bear and our dreams that still live on...." I love that line in particular, and had it stuck in my head for days on end

Last edited by MoonSister75; 12-05-2014 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: added to
Old 12-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just today, 24 Karat Gold went back in the car stereo. I can't get enough of Mabel Normand, Twisted, 24 Karat Gold, Belle Fleur, Watch Chain, Hard Advice, Blue Water - all of it.

Those first four I listed might be the single best foursome of Stevie songs to ever be sequenced together.

It's not the only thing I'm listening to repeatedly right now, but it definitely has longevity, and the songs are in my head all the time.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still love the album just as much, probably more, as when I first got it. The songs I thought were just ok (Belle Fleur, Blue Water, Carousel to name a few) have really grown on me. Hard Advice and I Don't Care are the weakest links for me. I do listen to the former a lot despite its cheesy self indulgence, but I tend to skip I Don't Care. It's not BAD, it's just... I don't know. She Loves Him Still and Cathouse Blues are also super corny but still enjoyable. Anyway, it's still in my top 3 for sure. The thing that's interesting about this record is that these are songs that many of us have listened to for years- yet hearing them newly recorded with older Stevie somehow makes them brand new to me. It's a great fusion of the past and present... if that makes sense.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
The thing that's interesting about this record is that these are songs that many of us have listened to for years- yet hearing them newly recorded with older Stevie somehow makes them brand new to me. It's a great fusion of the past and present... if that makes sense.
It makes perfect sense to me. I love this record!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
I now love it as much as the demo - great to have 2 very different versions. I love it when a song doesn't click as first, and then later, as you say, the magic of it is revealed.
That is exactly why I value and appreciate the format of an album. It allows the possibility for songs to grow on you. Snap judgments based purely on instant gratification denies you of the opportunity to discover things in which you ultimately find value.

If you shop for music on sites like iTunes, where you can sample songs from an album, and buy only the songs that immediately resonate with you, you're are really missing the point of the product, and the integrity of the work as a whole. It's like ripping select pages out of a book or scenes out of a movie because of your own personal preferences in that moment.

Tusk is a great example. It was a challenging album because it was so jarringly different from the brand of music established from the two prior albums. It was disappointing to many fans. I didn't reject the album, but I was intrigued by it. It took many years before I started to understand it, and appreciate the artistic statement Lindsey set out to achieve. Then eventually, amazingly, over time the typical unfavorable analysis of the album turned upside down into a positive. Tusk is just like The Beatles' White Album - misunderstood in its time, but now lauded, in context, for its bold creativity and diversity.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-10-2014 at 07:11 AM..
Old 12-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 24 Karat Gold: In Review - 3 Months ON

12 weeks out from its initial release, give or take a few:

How are we all liking (or not) 24 Karat Gold LP?

Myself, the faves have gots to be:
- Mabel Normand (sorry -- I am a bit ashamed at my selfishness because I used to think that it was total fluff and a bit naff).

- Another thing, called, what's it?

- Belle Fleur

grew on me

Also:
-The Dealer
-Starshine
- 24 Karat Gold
- Lady

- She Loves Him Still
- Hard Advice
-All the Beautiful Worlds
- Did I mention, I Don't Care?

By the way, it became clear to me quite some time ago that there was and is a Leaker on the Ledge.

Not sure who.

But, it wasn't and still isn't me.
The multi-tracks from the 2013-year Tour were and still are LEAKING out of the band and back into the free market economies (neoliberal supply/demand kind of theory of marketing)

You leak a steady supply and people start to jump on the HOOK/BRIDGE of the songs.

Just so you all know, I have no band-affiliation other than fan-loyalty.

But, I have my suspects square:
FM77
Elle
Michele
NOT Penguin so much
louielouie2000

Basically, anyway who has an "Admin" or "Supporting Ledgie" tag pays money for the privilege and as such, can and will influence the shape of the fanbases's discussion.

These top of the tree payers have a monopoly on the supply of band information and most probably, as is obvious,
work for http://www.fleetwoodmacnews.com (CNN -- I think? Not sure...maybe it is privately owned and operated but just slightly off-left/democratic)

I am an Angel Face.
Don't judge: but, here goes nothing on an ALBUM LEAK from public record information:

-My Mothers' Rings
- Carousel (gone over to 24K)
- Angels' Song/Reprise of Touched by an Angel with the Fleetwood Mac band name
- Too Far Gone
- Red Sun
- Carnival Begin
- Lay Down for Free (-> over to solo Liddy Buck, 5 years old)
- Say You Can -->is the Liddy Buck equivalent Down on Rodeo overdubbed/renamed Lay Down For Free. From memory. Memory is a bit old but)

- We are in a position now to throw out the crumbs of the tracklisting, mates/Ledgies:

1. Down on Rodeo
3. Lay Down for Free (slated for solo release ---pending approvals)
4. Deep Dense /Funny Kind of Love
5. Too Far Gone
6. How I Feel
7. My Mothers' Rings
8. Without You (GONE OUT ON EXTENDED PLAY)
9. Angels (Touched by an Angel -- reprised?)
10. Space Needle
11. Julia
12. What had Rock and Roll Ever done for You?

13. Christine track (already leaked from her last solo release In The Meantime -- check YouTube)
14. Lindsey track (Hunger)
15. Watch Chain GONE SOLO
16. Joan of Arc
17. Sleep/Ballad song from Christine McVie

Bonus Tracks
18. Blank
19. Blank
20. Carnival Begin

So
By the way, there are due to be 4 Extended Plays
Split into TWO albums ....anyway...it is a bullish speculation for now

Come back and see what the band are doing in SIX MONTHS then, ONE YEAR
Old 12-17-2014, 05:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
12 weeks out from its initial release, give or take a few:

-My Mothers' Rings
- Carousel (gone over to 24K)
- Angels' Song/Reprise of Touched by an Angel with the Fleetwood Mac band name
- Too Far Gone
- Red Sun
- Carnival Begin
- Lay Down for Free (-> over to solo Liddy Buck, 5 years old)
- Say You Can -->is the Liddy Buck equivalent Down on Rodeo overdubbed/renamed Lay Down For Free. From memory. Memory is a bit old but)

- We are in a position now to throw out the crumbs of the tracklisting, mates/Ledgies:

1. Down on Rodeo
3. Lay Down for Free (slated for solo release ---pending approvals)
4. Deep Dense /Funny Kind of Love
5. Too Far Gone
6. How I Feel
7. My Mothers' Rings
8. Without You (GONE OUT ON EXTENDED PLAY)
9. Angels (Touched by an Angel -- reprised?)
10. Space Needle
11. Julia
12. What had Rock and Roll Ever done for You?

13. Christine track (already leaked from her last solo release In The Meantime -- check YouTube)
14. Lindsey track (Hunger)
15. Watch Chain GONE SOLO
16. Joan of Arc
17. Sleep/Ballad song from Christine McVie

Bonus Tracks
18. Blank
19. Blank
20. Carnival Begin

So
By the way, there are due to be 4 Extended Plays
Split into TWO albums ....anyway...it is a bullish speculation for now

Come back and see what the band are doing in SIX MONTHS then, ONE YEAR
Secret Love, your meandering, perplexing post is difficult to digest, but presents some intriguing information. Dare I ask if there are credentials to confirm this info? Who are the "We" in "[I] We are in a position now to throw out the crumbs of the tracklisting, mates/Ledgies: "?

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-17-2014 at 05:50 AM..
Old 12-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Remember, kids...meth kills.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:23 AM
BlueDenimLamp
This message has been deleted by BlueDenimLamp.