Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I suspect the reason for this particular change was less about replacing an “obscure” song with a “safe” song as it was changing to an easier to sing song.
I've got vocal damage
So how am I gonna manage this tune?
We're playing songs from Lindsey
But sold the tour as playin' the blues!

80 is just around the corner
I don't got a minute to spare!
A lawsuit waitin' for me...
I'll hide behind a curtain of hair!

Old me, old me, old me, yeah
Old me, old me, old meeee..
Old 11-29-2018, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
You Make Loving Fun:
https://youtu.be/34r-If-HhTs
Christine sounds just fine on this—substantially better than a video posted a few weeks ago.

But why is there a baleen whale breaching on the video screen behind them? That is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Is it a deliberate joke?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-29-2018, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
I've got vocal damage
So how am I gonna manage this tune?
We're playing songs from Lindsey
But sold the tour as playin' the blues!

80 is just around the corner
I don't got a minute to spare!
A lawsuit waitin' for me...
I'll hide behind a curtain of hair!

Old me, old me, old me, yeah
Old me, old me, old meeee..
Joe, this was your best one yet, you wag.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-30-2018, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Really cool and pared down! I'm still wondering why both Ricky and Christine are using a Hammond clone (the XK-5 on his part and possibly her part). Why does any band need two B3 generators? It's very strange. You just need one, no matter how big your band is.
Just guessing, but it might be because it’s easier to transpose a note to a different pitch than learning to play a song in a different key.

Quote:
Do you guys realize that this is the first Fleetwood Mac tour ever without an authentic Hammond onstage?
THE first EVER?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-30-2018, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if Oh Daddy is on their short list of songs that are on deck. I REALLY hope it is and preferably replacing Hold Me. I would honestly rather hear Oh Daddy then Isn’t It Midnight even. It’s literally the only one of my top 20 or so Fleetwood Mac songs that I haven’t seen live and I feel like this line up could do a killer version with the musical interludes. Stevie harmonies would be killer but I’d be equally satisfied if she sat it out.

And about the set list becoming way less daring but I think this is a case of not seeing the forest from the trees. People are way too focused on what song replaces what and what we should be focused on is that they added ANYTHING to the set this late in the tour. For the past 25 years their set lists have been set in stone by show 5. And then usually songs are only dropped not replaced. While again, I despise almost every change they’ve made especially since they’ve dropped 2 of the 4 songs I loved most about the opening night set (hypnotized and Isn’t It Midnight) BUT the big picture is this set is flexible and we can expect occasional changes at any point in the tour. And I’m hopeful that eventually they make a fu**ing decision that doesn’t suck! Maybe we’ll get 2-4 other Christine songs rotated in that isn’t it Midnight/Hold me slot. Maybe Why, think about me and Remener Me are options? Maybe Monday Morning gets replaced with Blue Letter or Sentimental Lady? Maybe they grow some balls and drop Second Hand News and bring back Hypnotized.

I’m not holding my breath for any of the above scenarios. But there is “hope”

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-09-2018, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I wonder if Oh Daddy is on their short list of songs that are on deck. I REALLY hope it is and preferably replacing Hold Me. I would honestly rather hear Oh Daddy then Isn’t It Midnight even. It’s literally the only one of my top 20 or so Fleetwood Mac songs that I haven’t seen live and I feel like this line up could do a killer version with the musical interludes. Stevie harmonies would be killer but I’d be equally satisfied if she sat it out.

And about the set list becoming way less daring but I think this is a case of not seeing the forest from the trees. People are way too focused on what song replaces what and what we should be focused on is that they added ANYTHING to the set this late in the tour. For the past 25 years their set lists have been set in stone by show 5. And then usually songs are only dropped not replaced. While again, I despise almost every change they’ve made especially since they’ve dropped 2 of the 4 songs I loved most about the opening night set (hypnotized and Isn’t It Midnight) BUT the big picture is this set is flexible and we can expect occasional changes at any point in the tour. And I’m hopeful that eventually they make a fu**ing decision that doesn’t suck! Maybe we’ll get 2-4 other Christine songs rotated in that isn’t it Midnight/Hold me slot. Maybe Why, think about me and Remener Me are options? Maybe Monday Morning gets replaced with Blue Letter or Sentimental Lady? Maybe they grow some balls and drop Second Hand News and bring back Hypnotized.

I’m not holding my breath for any of the above scenarios. But there is “hope”

My hope is dwindling and the more videos I see of it the more it hits me this Isn’t It Midnight For Hold Me swap is maybe the worst set list swap in Fleetwood Mac history. Isn’t it Midnight was a top 4 highlight of the night. Hold me
Is bad with Lindsey live but is downright awful with Neil and Mike. And I’m glad I can say this a very isolated failure on Mikes part as for his playing the entire show. I think most of these songs sound musically better then ever and fresh because of Mike (everywhere stands out the most on the videos I’ve seen) but he isn’t doing anything to help Hold Me.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-09-2018, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh but it's a new band that's revitalized, isn't it!? All those early tracks back in the set that they somehow could never do in the past, but now they can!

Glad I never spent single dime on this tour. I really feel for the folks who really thought this was going to somehow be different. It's a hard lesson on how many cups of kool aid is too much.

Last edited by BigAl84; 12-09-2018 at 09:42 AM..
Old 12-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Oh but it's a new band that's revitalized, isn't it!? All those early tracks back in the set that they somehow could never do in the past, but now they can!

Glad I never spent single dime on this tour. I really feel for the folks who really thought this was going to somehow be different. It's a hard lesson on how many cups of kool aid is too much.
Always watch a few YouTube videos of opening night FIRST, and then decide whether you want to be there in person.

I've been lucky enough to skip Fleetwood Mac concerts for thirty years, thanks to this innovative technique.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don’t get how replacing “Isn’t It Midnight” with “Hold Me” has anything to do with what you’re talking about. The former was co-written by Lindsey and the latter was a duet with Lindsey. The only old song that got dropped was “Hypnotized” (which was a disappointing decision).

They’re still doing a couple of extended jams on older songs Lindsey wouldn’t have considered doing, as well as a song from “Time.”

Quote:
But it has been different. Mike’s style is different from Lindsey’s, and in a way that adds a different character to the songs.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 12-09-2018 at 09:55 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The opening night set list lived up to my expectations 110 percent. The specific songs they chose to drop this tour were as stated before their worst drops ever.

And I even find the current set list “exceptable” and very worthy of me buying a cheap seat to the show 10 minutes away from where I live. The stand out songs ARE the ones that probably wouldn’t have been done if Lindsey were in the band.black Magic Woman is the best live Fleetwoodac song of the century and would a sloth ave not been done or nearly as well with Lindsey. And I say that as someone who couldn’t have loved his show more last week, probably better then any Fleetwood Mac show since the Say You Will Tour.

This tour is still vastly different without Lindsey even if at times it’s not an inrovement. But Black Magic Woman, Free Fallin, Tell Me all the Things You Do, All Over Again and Hypnotized wouldn’t have been included if Lindsey was there. And yes I know Hypnotized was dropped and most people who were against this line up from the beginning aren’t going to consider Free Falling a benefit because it’s a Tom Petty cover, but how can you not call that one of the highlights of the show.

So in conclusion even as is,this is different enough to meet the bare expectations and get me to buy a crap seat. The opening night set had me either springing for 1 front row ticket or 2 decent tickets to 2 cities.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They’re still doing a couple of extended jams on older songs Lindsey wouldn’t have considered doing
You have no way of knowing that. You have no more access to that man's thinking than I do. He might have or he might not have agreed to include Green or Kirwan or even Welch, figuring that A) it wouldn't have killed him all these decades later, and B) it might at least have provided a couple of welcome changes to yet another run-through of the same set since 1997.

Quote:
But it has been different. Mike’s style is different from Lindsey’s, and in a way that adds a different character to the songs.
Yes, the great Mike Campbell is a very different guitarist from the great Lindsey Buckingham. Two very different styles. But who are you kidding about the "character" of the songs on tour? I've seen the videos. There is no different character in all those old warhorses. Campbell wasn't hired to treat Dreams and Rhiannon the way Buckingham treated his own Big Love. Mike was hired to replicate the signature riffs so that 18,000 screaming fans would be happy. That's what he's doing, bless his heart. And although he has more wiggle room on something like Black Magic Woman to put more Mike Campbell in it, the bulk of the set has to be performed the way the mobs want it. The tour is a confirmation of the dependable and the stable in the Fleetwood catalog. Its mandate is to play the songs everyone knows the way everyone remembers. You're trying to pretend this tour is the equivalent of Camper Van Beethoven's Tusk, and the suggestion is feeble.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don’t get how replacing “Isn’t It Midnight” with “Hold Me” has anything to do with what you’re talking about. The former was co-written by Lindsey and the latter was a duet with Lindsey. The only old song that got dropped was “Hypnotized” (which was a disappointing decision).

They’re still doing a couple of extended jams on older songs Lindsey wouldn’t have considered doing, as well as a song from “Time.”

But that's just i!t I don't want to hear another guitarist put their twist on Lindsey Buckingham. Also, you know absolutely nothing to even begin to say what Lindsey would or wouldn't do.

LOL excuse me for being a 75-2017 era fan who prefers the guitarist who created the parts/sound instead of a replacement trying his best and slapping the brand name on it.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You have no way of knowing that. You have no more access to that man's thinking than I do. He might have or he might not have agreed to include Green or Kirwan or even Welch, figuring that A) it wouldn't have killed him all these decades later, and B) it might at least have provided a couple of welcome changes to yet another run-through of the same set since 1997.

Yes, the great Mike Campbell is a very different guitarist from the great Lindsey Buckingham. Two very different styles. But who are you kidding about the "character" of the songs on tour? I've seen the videos. There is no different character in all those old warhorses. Campbell wasn't hired to treat Dreams and Rhiannon the way Buckingham treated his own Big Love. Mike was hired to replicate the signature riffs so that 18,000 screaming fans would be happy. That's what he's doing, bless his heart. And although he has more wiggle room on something like Black Magic Woman to put more Mike Campbell in it, the bulk of the set has to be performed the way the mobs want it. The tour is a confirmation of the dependable and the stable in the Fleetwood catalog. Its mandate is to play the songs everyone knows the way everyone remembers. You're trying to pretend this tour is the equivalent of Camper Van Beethoven's Tusk, and the suggestion is feeble.

To me, it seems like Mike has cherry picked a lot of guitar parts that are on the original recordings that Lindsey doesn't necessarily play "by the book" live. If I had to guess, those smaller parts didn't cut through the mix when played "by the book" live, which led him to develop a stronger arrangement for live shows.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Always watch a few YouTube videos of opening night FIRST, and then decide whether you want to be there in person.

I've been lucky enough to skip Fleetwood Mac concerts for thirty years, thanks to this innovative technique.
Wow, you had YouTube in 1988!?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Wow, you had YouTube in 1988!?
Back when it was called the Information Super Highway!