The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He could take the Chain on the road for his solo shows, if he played it like that. If he's going to bastardize it like ISA, then no thank you.

I remember him saying that he couldn't remember a thing that Mick contributed to The Chain and he still can't think of anything. But everyone remembers that it all started with John's bass!

Michele
Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
more on youtube, will also help people with slow computers / connections:

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
He could take the Chain on the road for his solo shows, if he played it like that. If he's going to bastardize it like ISA, then no thank you.
no, it's missing the whole guitar solo. it would be worse than Rock Away Blind without the outro.

he needs to add to this version the acoustic guitar solo part (aka formula 1 part), the way he did it backstage at CMT crossroads. then he can do it alone acoustically, and it would be pretty amazing.

and, as you know, some of us love that OMS version of ISA.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

See, I think The Chain really falls short without the harmonies. To my ears, the melody of the verses is in a cyclical kind of way, very defined by the harmony. In the sense that it's difficult to pinpoint who is even singing the lead line because all of the lines are so dependent on one another. During the chorus, it's not so much the harmony but the echoing of his lines by the girls that adds to the build of the song (along with all of the instrumentation, of course).

The funny thing is, what Lindsey's playing there is really the same thing he plays on his Turner when he does it live with the band. That's just a testament to how well the guitar part stands on it's own - enough to do it justice acoustically, which isn't typical of a lead guitar part.

All of this to say, I think Lindsey & his boys could do an acoustic version of The Chain quite well (I'm envisioning guitar, acoustic bass, and cajon/foot!tambo), but I don't think a completely solo version would work because of the lack of additional voices.

Last edited by WildHearted; 11-17-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
See, I think The Chain really falls short without the harmonies. To my ears, the melody of the verses is in a cyclical kind of way, very defined by the harmony. In the sense that it's difficult to pinpoint who is even singing the lead line because all of the lines are so dependent on one another. During the chorus, it's not so much the harmony but the echoing of his lines by the girls that adds to the build of the song (along with all of the instrumentation, of course).

The funny thing is, what Lindsey's playing there is really the same thing he plays on his Turner when he does it live with the band. That's just a testament to how well the guitar part stands on it's own - enough to do it justice acoustically, which isn't typical of a lead guitar part.

All of this to say, I think Lindsey & his boys could do an acoustic version of The Chain quite well (I'm envisioning guitar, acoustic bass, and cajon/foot!tambo), but I don't think a completely solo version would work because of the lack of additional voices.
What she said
I have nothing to add
Old 11-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

yeah, that's why it sounds different when he sings just his part, because we are so used to hearing the harmonies. and that's why it sounded so good acoustically with LBT, because they were doing the harmonies. and then he did that crazy guitar solo, acoustically, and that part was different from the Turner version.

to me The Chain is really about John's bass line and Lindsey's guitar solo... the rest of it is great, but those 2 things make that song, for me. so if there's no John's bass part, at least i want to have Lindsey's guitar solo. and again, that was so amazing in that CMT extra, and is so missing from the version in this interview, even if i do understand he was just showing the song structure.

sorry, unfortuantely i'm technically challenged so have no idea how to download it and make available to people outside the US but here is CMT acoustic version, if you haven't heard it before - http://www.cmt.com/videos/misc/12581...he-chain.jhtml

Old 11-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
no, it's missing the whole guitar solo. it would be worse than Rock Away Blind without the outro. :
I liked it. The only thing I didn't like was his voice. But that can be worked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
and, as you know, some of us love that OMS version of ISA.
I wasn't aware that anyone liked that nonsense.

Michele
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the beauty of FM's Chain is the voices. And it's so good when they do it, that it doesn't even sound worthwhile to me when Lindsey, Stevie, Sharon and Lori do it without Christine. You not only need the layers of voices, but you need the variation in tone between the voices to make it work. I think they got it very right with Beautiful Child, but they have never captured it with The Chain. That's why I liked the LBT version with Lindsey so much more than I like it in concert now.

However, as a quite different song which captures something else entirely, I think he could pull it off solo. It's not going to mean what it means with FM, but it explores a different element and I think that's what an acoustic song should do. I don't think it should try to replicate a group's version of the song, but should give you something completely different. Lindsey's raw version did that for me and when he's singing it solo, the chain has been broken. Psychologically, I like that spin on the song.

You know there's a slowed down version of Jolene that's been circulating on the internet and it just made me see how Dolly Parton's voice actually does a disservice to all of her songs. It's funny the little things you can do to give or take gravitas from something.

Michele
Old 11-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I wasn't aware that anyone liked that nonsense.

Michele

I just know you're kidding. I love OMS/ISA. But then, I love pretty much all ISA
Old 11-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post

I just know you're kidding. I love OMS/ISA.
Yes, I know.

Michele
Old 11-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the beauty of FM's Chain is the voices. And it's so good when they do it, that it doesn't even sound worthwhile to me when Lindsey, Stevie, Sharon and Lori do it without Christine. You not only need the layers of voices, but you need the variation in tone between the voices to make it work. I think they got it very right with Beautiful Child, but they have never captured it with The Chain. That's why I liked the LBT version with Lindsey so much more than I like it in concert now.

However, as a quite different song which captures something else entirely, I think he could pull it off solo. It's not going to mean what it means with FM, but it explores a different element and I think that's what an acoustic song should do. I don't think it should try to replicate a group's version of the song, but should give you something completely different. Lindsey's raw version did that for me and when he's singing it solo, the chain has been broken. Psychologically, I like that spin on the song.

You know there's a slowed down version of Jolene that's been circulating on the internet and it just made me see how Dolly Parton's voice actually does a disservice to all of her songs. It's funny the little things you can do to give or take gravitas from something.

Michele
See, I just don't think that the chain has an independent enough melody line work for a solo voice, regardless of who is singing it or if it's acoustic or not. It's not about replicating the original version, it's just an issue with the melody.

To a much lesser degree, I feel the same way about the chorus to Dreams.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
See, I just don't think that the chain has an independent enough melody line work for a solo voice, regardless of who is singing it or if it's acoustic or not. It's not about replicating the original version, it's just an issue with the melody.
And to me, I can hear all the space that The Chain has for you to move around in, if you do it alone and take out all the harmonies (which when good are not only very good, but superlative, but when bad...). Right now, even when you have four people singing on it, The Chain still sounds kind of monotone to me. So, I'd just as soon have someone explore the solo possibilities, especially if Lindsey put the focus on the ending that he did on Go Insane's.

But I also feel the same way about OMH. I love it. I think the harmonies make the song, but sometimes when I sing it to myself (and I can't sing), I wonder what it could be like with one singer, soaring.

Michele