The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Why is Stevie becoming political?
It’s a desperate attempt to remain relevant. 9 52.94%
She wants to heal the world with her words. 6 35.29%
She is bored, and becoming political is something new to try. 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-02-2020, 03:00 PM
TheWildHeart67's Avatar
TheWildHeart67 TheWildHeart67 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 647
Default

Yet another thread created to continue bashing and negative comments.
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/jump.gif border=0 alt= title=jump class=inlineimg />
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-02-2020, 03:18 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 12,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Yet another thread created to continue bashing and negative comments.
So you can examine her "band actions" over the past couple of years, and APPLAUD HER?

"Rose colored glasses, party of one!"
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-03-2020, 06:02 AM
johnnystorms's Avatar
johnnystorms johnnystorms is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: new orleans
Posts: 739
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Yet another thread created to continue bashing and negative comments.
totally agree
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-03-2020, 08:31 AM
greendaze5's Avatar
greendaze5 greendaze5 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Yet another thread created to continue bashing and negative comments.

Or rather an excuse for a certain someone (who started this thread) to rant his politics. Give it a f-ng rest!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-04-2020, 11:16 AM
jcalzaretta jcalzaretta is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 479
Default

Hate that she is being pollical.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-04-2020, 12:32 PM
Hawkeye Hawkeye is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 4,307
Default

Honestly it all boils down to the quality of this song for me on Friday.

Stevie hasn’t gotten me this excited in a very very long time. Because she’s not talking out her ass about the Rhiannon movie or being inspired to write for a future album**** but is dropping an actual new song in a weeks notice. And the latest article reveals we will get her original account of demo and a very rock n roll version that she is saying stands besides EO17 and Stand Back.

If it’s truly a great song she can get as political as she f***ing wants!

And I’m also with macfan4life tho that she simply ISN’T being overly pokitical at least not yet. She’s simply voicing the fear and anxiety that is actually in her heart now.

A dream about heros of the civil rights movement like JFK and MLK just doesn’t seem political in 2020 to me



*****Astericks included because she actually does mention all of those things also, but neither got me excited for obvious reasons. But including throwing us the bone of this new song so quickly does absolutely get me excited.
__________________
Never Dance with the Devil

He Will Burn You Down

Last edited by Hawkeye; 10-04-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-04-2020, 12:35 PM
greendaze5's Avatar
greendaze5 greendaze5 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
Hate that she is being pollical.
You're entitled to your opinion about how you feel about this, but so is Stevie Nicks about who she supports or doesn't support.

Unless you're living in a fascist state, it's called free speech, a basic human right. It's appalling that this even has to be addressed.

Lady has a right to say what she wants. So BOO-HOO if she's not voting the way you are.

Oh, and I hate that people can't spell.

Last edited by greendaze5; 10-04-2020 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-04-2020, 01:01 PM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
Oh, and I hate that people can't spell.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-05-2020, 08:11 PM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 4,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Honestly it all boils down to the quality of this song for me on Friday.

Stevie hasn’t gotten me this excited in a very very long time. Because she’s not talking out her ass about the Rhiannon movie or being inspired to write for a future album**** but is dropping an actual new song in a weeks notice. And the latest article reveals we will get her original account of demo and a very rock n roll version that she is saying stands besides EO17 and Stand Back.

If it’s truly a great song she can get as political as she f***ing wants!

.
Stevie has put out exactly one truly great song as solo artist and that is Edge of Seventeen. I would argue that it is a contender for the greatest rock song written and performed by a woman ever. It was basically a one off for her . (Her other great songs are mostly ballads or mid tempo numbers and all with Fleetwood Mac) I don't think that we will get another or anything close to it at this late date.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-05-2020, 09:17 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 12,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Stevie has put out exactly one truly great song as solo artist and that is Edge of Seventeen. I would argue that it is a contender for the greatest rock song written and performed by a woman ever. It was basically a one off for her . (Her other great songs are mostly ballads or mid tempo numbers and all with Fleetwood Mac) I don't think that we will get another or anything close to it at this late date.
I disagree. While EO17 is an iconic song, I personally love ALL of Bella Donna, and most of Wild Heart.

Wonder why $he always embraced Stand Back instead of EO17?

Just so $he can mention that $he met Prince for 5 minutes?

Did $he sleep with him, too? Anyone know? I mean, sometimes 5 minutes is all you need...
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-05-2020, 09:40 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,312
Default

Stevie can be political if she wants to be. It is a free country (for now). But people also have the right to be critical of her motives for addressing overt and admittedly on-trend politics in her work. One doesn’t need to be a cynic to think she’s assuming certain political poses to be a part of the national zeitgeist. Given that the overwhelming bulk of her work has serviced her personal mythology, it’s not unreasonable to wonder why she has a sudden passion for civil rights, feminism, and being “woke.”

Even in recent years, she hasn’t demonstrated a heck of a lot of awareness, sensitivity, or tact. This is, after all, the same women who, with Christine, tweeted a pic of herself wearing a face mask as they flew over the burning California forests. Before this, she claimed “Landslide” was written for Katrina and later also said it would make a suitable campaign theme for Hillary’s never realized presidential victory. Unlike Bob Dylan, with whom she classes herself, she is not terribly interested in breaking barriers through her lyrics. But she has exploited topical concerns to prop up her songs.

Mind you, I love her music and have a great deal of respect for her achievement as a cultural phenomenon. Songs like “Nightbird” and “Throw Down” and “Sable on Blonde” and “Gold and Braid” are truly compelling moments of self-absorption. They seek to clarify and define who she was and is at any given moment. And they are entirely hers. When she’s being honest and genuine, she can be remarkable. When she calculates and straps on certain causes, she is embarrassing.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 10-05-2020 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-06-2020, 02:59 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is online now
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Stevie can be political if she wants to be. It is a free country (for now). But people also have the right to be critical of her motives for addressing overt and admittedly on-trend politics in her work. One doesn’t need to be a cynic to think she’s assuming certain political poses to be a part of the national zeitgeist. Given that the overwhelming bulk of her work has serviced her personal mythology, it’s not unreasonable to wonder why she has a sudden passion for civil rights, feminism, and being “woke.”

Even in recent years, she hasn’t demonstrated a heck of a lot of awareness, sensitivity, or tact. This is, after all, the same women who, with Christine, tweeted a pic of herself wearing a face mask as they flew over the burning California forests. Before this, she claimed “Landslide” was written for Katrina and later also said it would make a suitable campaign theme for Hillary’s never realized presidential victory. Unlike Bob Dylan, with whom she classes herself, she is not terribly interested in breaking barriers through her lyrics. But she has exploited topical concerns to prop up her songs.

Mind you, I love her music and have a great deal of respect for her achievement as a cultural phenomenon. Songs like “Nightbird” and “Throw Down” and “Sable on Blonde” and “Gold and Braid” are truly compelling moments of self-absorption. They seek to clarify and define who she was and is at any given moment. And they are entirely hers. When she’s being honest and genuine, she can be remarkable. When she calculates and straps on certain causes, she is embarrassing.
This is pretty much how I feel. She is very calculating and tries to exploit topics to remain relevant. Now it is the political landscape. Before it was the movie Moonlight and Katrina. She’ll do anything to remain relevant.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-07-2020, 04:35 PM
tothegypsy tothegypsy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 265
Default

I don't think it's quite so calculated. Twilight was popular, but there was nothing cool or hip about liking it.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-07-2020, 06:24 PM
lilyfee's Avatar
lilyfee lilyfee is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 423
Default

I don’t think that what Stevie said recently was very political. She talked about liking Hillary Clinton in the last election because they were around the same age and she’d met her personally. She has also said that she and Lindsey were hippie kids in describing their liberal views.

IIRC Lindsey even hosted a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton in 2016. And I believe it’s been said that John (?) didn’t want to perform at the Clinton inauguration because he held opposing views.

In context, she only brings up politics when someone asks her a political question or something touches her heartstrings (ie her work with Walter Reed, 9/11, New Orleans, etc). Even in those instances, it’s more about the issues than the politics. Right now, Covid seems to be that issue. Like us, she’s stuck in her house and wants to go back to normal life.

I don’t think mourning the loss of Ruth Bader Ginsberg is extremely political either. Stevie was not disparaging RBG’s replacement or talking about rights being under fire. She essentially just said “RIP.” Dolly Parton did the same thing. Women of a certain age directly benefited from RBG’s fight for gender equality, even before she was a Supreme Court justice.

Last I knew, Martin Luther King Jr. was an American hero... Even Donald Trump gifted Pope Francis with a special collection of Martin Luther King’s books... It is not as though she’s turned into an activist overnight here!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-09-2020, 09:26 AM
sleepless child's Avatar
sleepless child sleepless child is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 624
Default

I think she has always had her political views and was always aware of what was happening in the world. She talked about Iran in 1979. Of course comparing Lindsey to the Ayatollha. LOL. But I think being home and watching the news, she is pissed at Trump like many are. She wants change.
__________________

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS RE1948 11x14" LOBBY CARD
$65.0
ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS  RE1948 11x14ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS RE1948 11x14" LOBBY CARD #1301
$65.0
ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS  RE1948 11x14ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS RE1948 11x14" LOBBY CARD #1303
$65.0
ROY ROGERS SMILEY BURNETTE BILLY THE KID RETURNS  RE1948 11x14Billy Burnette Vintage 80's Pin Pinback Badge Rockabilly
$22.5
Billy Burnette Vintage 80's Pin Pinback Badge Rockabilly picturePress Photo Billy Burnette, Guitarist - spp41773
$19.99
Press Photo Billy Burnette, Guitarist - spp41773 picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved