Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Nit picks I have about Rumours

1. Christine should sing both verses on Don't Stop and the "I know you don't believe that it's true, I never meant any harm to you" line. Then the chorus should be all three of them singing.

2. Christine and Stevie's voices should sound like Christine and Stevie's voices on the chorus of Go Your Own Way. It kinda just sounds like two or three Lindseys singing.

3. They should have done the vocals on the album version of The Chain like they do when they perform it live. Also, I really like Christine's keyboards on The Chain live, the keyboards should be a little more prominent on the album version.

4. They should have put Silver Springs on the album instead of I Don't Want to Know.

5. I really like Oh Daddy, but not as much as I like Why. I wish they did a Rumours version of Why in place of Oh Daddy. Why sounded so good when they played it live in 1975-76.

6. I like in the live version of Gold Dust Woman that they all three sing "go home" twice together and then Stevie sings it once more at the end of the singing part. They should have done that on the album as well.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Ledgie

I agree with you on most of those points. I'm sorry, but you can't tell me that I Don't Wanna Know should've been on Rumours instead of Silver Springs! I also agree about the vocals on The Chain. If they had the harmonies like they do on the live version (or here's another creative idea: each vocalist sings the chorus a different time, Lindsey first, then Christine, then Stevie), the track would have been even more perfect.
To hear you
Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The full version of Silver Springs would not fit on Rumours. You would have to nix more than "I Don't wanna know." What would be your other song to nix?

I am brave enough to say Never Going Back Again would be the other sacrificial lamb to make it work.

Other than that... Rumours is perfect the way that it is. I think Lindsey singing on Don't Stop adds a cool element.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The full version of Silver Springs would not fit on Rumours. You would have to nix more than "I Don't wanna know." What would be your other song to nix?

I am brave enough to say Never Going Back Again would be the other sacrificial lamb to make it work.
I was never a fan of Songbird. Silver Springs would have been the perfect replacement.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Other than that... Rumours is perfect the way that it is. I think Lindsey singing on Don't Stop adds a cool element.

Yeah probably Songbird. I like songbird and it's a signature song of Christine's. It's kind of like Rumours' Landslide, but it's not one that I will turn on in my car and jam out to.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Though I love Silver Springs, I wouldn't change
a thing concerning Rumours.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:33 AM
dawn_amanda

Love the album but love this thread too! Much like the last album I want more Stevie to make it perfect...

Stevie should be on Don't Stop, much like World Turning... She enhances the live version.

I like the versions of Oh Daddy and You Make Living Fun much better on the out takes albums with Stevie doing the harmony line. Why was it changed?

Go Your Own Way ends too soon with that fade out on the vocals! Same with The Chain.

Silver Springs should have fitted on somehow! Much as I love all the songs, it's one of the best. Maybe Rumours should have been a double album instead of Tusk?! With Silver Springs, The Dealer, Planets of the Universe, Doesn't Anything Last, Keep Me There, Think About It... We're over half way there! I guess they weren't big enough to do a double album by then but it would have been amazing.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish the breaking glass on GDW was on the original version. It's on the first CD issue but not on the remaster. Don't know about the 35th anniversary edition as I don't have it.

Stevie should be audible somewhere on Don't Stop. She's probably singing along at the very end with anybody who was in the studio at the time. I wonder who else was? Maybe Bob Welch as he was around. There's a thought.

I also think Lindsey's vocals are mixed too high on IDWTK.

Christine slightly fluffs a note somewhere at the end of Songbird, (to my ears anyway) so it's not perfect.

Other than that, my dear late wife should have been asked to read out another poem at the very end...
Old 10-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Like anything in life, Rumours while fantastic, is not perfect. As we've heard in the number of re-issues of the album, some pretty good stuff did not make the cut. The mixes of Oh Daddy and You Make Loving Fun are far superior and bring out Stevie's voice, the band's biggest strength at the time, to where it should be. Silver Springs arguably among the best, if not the best songs the band has ever recorded, should've made the final version of the album, although, it could've used a bit of work on the instrumentation to make it the monster hit single it could've been, for example more piano vs guitar. Each one had an abandoned track that would've been good fits, Keep Me There in some form or another, some of Stevie's original Chain lyrics may have brought Planets along to completion and Doesn't Anything Last would've have been a very cool kind of refrain between a couple of songs like Don't Stop and Go Your Own Way. Although the iconic break up album it was, it could've been tweaked a bit with these options.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great thread!

I am also of the opinion that "Rumours" is just fine as is. Obviously they were "up and coming" after the White album but since they hadn't released this masterpiece yet and hadn't reached "super group status", Warner Brothers was not going to take a chance on a double album. Songs were inevitably going to be cut. It was necessary. If they hadn't have released it the way it is, it might not have been a huge success. As much as I love "Doesn't Anything Last", "Planets" and "Think About It", I think they made the right decision to scrap them. Lyrically, the themes coincide with the other songs, but musically, they don't gel. Just my opinion.

I'm glad "Silver Springs" was, at the very least, released to the public as a B-Side. Yes, it would have been great on the record, but then two other songs would have needed to be dropped. And also, if it had been included, it might have been a hit but then it also might have faded either into "set list obscurity" or "overkill". This song, having been left of the album and then reintroduced during "The Dance" gave it a second life, a Grammy nod and shot it up to "cult status", introducing the band to a younger generation of fans who could relate to the song.

While I do prefer listening to the alternate versions of "Oh, Daddy" and "You Make Loving Fun", the ones with Stevie's prominent harmony vocal, I still wouldn't change anything about "Rumours" and how it turned out.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:08 PM

My only nit pick is that I would like Oh daddy like its demo with Stevie's vocals doing harmonies with Christine. That way is much more interesting.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 PM

I love not having Stevie on Don't Stop. I hate her on it live. I wish she wouldn't sing on ISA, too. But, that's another topic.

I want more Stevie on Oh Daddy. Her vocals on that song are wonderful.

Silver Springs does not belong on that album. I'm so glad it came alive during the Dance. Her Dance performance was epic.
I Don't Wanna Know is a fantastic song and it's concise message really gives side 2 a nice punch.

Thunder really does happen when it's not raining.

Songbird is such a beautiful piece between GYOW and The Chain. I sill get chills listening to that segment.

Hard to find anything wrong with this album. It's near perfect.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My nitpick is that Silver Springs was not included.
No matter what people say it could easily have been included in place of I Don't Want To Know and if they'd rearranged the record they could have included them both (It'd be sad to have lost IDWK).

Other than that it's perfect.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

In the vinyl age......space was limited. Its a shame Silver Springs could not fit. Later in the tape and CD age...it was common to get 12 songs on an album. Vinyl was so limited.
I agree with many points people made here. Rumours is pretty much the perfect album and its hard to think of tampering with perfection.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In the vinyl age......space was limited. Its a shame Silver Springs could not fit. Later in the tape and CD age...it was common to get 12 songs on an album. Vinyl was so limited.
I agree with many points people made here. Rumours is pretty much the perfect album and its hard to think of tampering with perfection.
they could put 22 minutes on a side before quality was compromised.
Rumours was 40 minutes. They therefore had an extra 4 minutes to play with.
They could have easily included Silver Springs over IDWK if they'd chnged the running order.
3.15 (IDWK) + 4 = 7.15