The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Another radio story (from long ago)

I still remember vividly an occasion in the late '70s when I was sitting in a cafe where they were playing a radio station featuring classical music. I don't believe it was a classical station but rather a classical program on a station that had various programming throughout the day. And during the middle of this classical music program, what should I hear - "Oh Well, Part 2"!! Needless to say, that just about floored me.

Anyone else ever have this experience?
Old 02-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Ledgie

It is neat when you hear a song like that, when your totally not expecting it. I do hear them play "Oh Well pts. 1 & 2" on occasion on our new classic rock station (had it since 95) and that is a treat.

I've heard that Wal-Mart sometimes plays "Hypnotized" as part of the song rotation on their PA but I've never heard it. Has anyone ever heard it played at Wal-Mart?

I remember once being in K-Mart and they played Peter Gabriels "Solsbury Hill" and that was ear catching to me. Sharksfan2000, thats probably about the closest I've come to what you experienced with "Oh Well pt. 2" in that cafe.

Last edited by greenfire; 02-15-2004 at 09:04 AM..
Old 02-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Ledgie

Default possible Peter Green song?

OK, this is a real long shot, but about 6 years ago I heard a song and the guitar playing was very reminiscent of Peter Green's style. I waited for the track name at the end but they didn't mention which songs were played. I'm guessing they announced at the beginning, which I missed out on. At the time, I hadn't heard "dog n' dustbin" or Mr. Wonderful or the Blue Horizon Box. I was kind of hoping would be on one of those. It wasn't though!

I still haven't heard things like, Shrine 69, Live at the BBC, Jumping at the Shadows (the song or album), Showbiz Blues 68-70, or Live in Boston vol. 1-3. The song I'm trying to describe could be among these works?

The song was all instrumental and kind of reminded me of PG's playing on "Closing My Eyes" or maybe on "Oh Well pt. 2". That acoustic guitar style of his. The song had a cascading sequence of notes at times and in a very vague sense might remind me of "Sunny Side of Heaven". This song was well developed though and melodic sounding, not as sparse, as say "Oh Well pt. 2". It was really pretty! I can't remember if there were drums or not? I was almost sure it was FM, but maybe it could be something from Peter solo? I know I haven't given much to go on, but if anyone has a vague idea of this song, please post!

Last edited by greenfire; 02-15-2004 at 12:06 PM..
Old 02-16-2004, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well...let's see, it could be among many things.

"Underway" from Then Play On

or

"My Dream" from Then Play On

or

"World In Harmony", the original B-side to "Green Manalishi" 45

or

"Apostle" from Peter Green's In The Skies album (or the alternate version that was on the B-side of the "Tribal Dance" 45...the album version's melody is played on electric guitar, the 45 version has a nylon string playing the basic melody.)

The more I think about your description, this may be the song.

or

"Earl Grey" the Danny Kirwan instrumental on the Kiln House album (originally titled "Farewell", which an early version was released on the Vaudeville Years, Vol 1 set)
Old 02-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have problems with instrumentals, too. I never remember who wrote them! I learned here a while ago that "World In Harmony" was Green/Kirwan. Now thanks to ChiliD, again I remember that "Earl Grey" is Kirwan... who wrote "What A Shame"?

Sorry to be off-topic, but I needed to ask that question.

Song of the moment - Earl Grey
Old 02-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Cristian
...who wrote "What A Shame"?
I think it is credited as a whole band composition:

Fleetwood, McVie, Perfect, Welch, Kirwan.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"That's how you credit a non-song" -- Paul McCartney.

Thanks much, Chili.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Well...let's see, it could be among many things.

"Underway" from Then Play On

or

"My Dream" from Then Play On

or

"World In Harmony", the original B-side to "Green Manalishi" 45

or

"Apostle" from Peter Green's In The Skies album (or the alternate version that was on the B-side of the "Tribal Dance" 45...the album version's melody is played on electric guitar, the 45 version has a nylon string playing the basic melody.)

The more I think about your description, this may be the song.

or

"Earl Grey" the Danny Kirwan instrumental on the Kiln House album (originally titled "Farewell", which an early version was released on the Vaudeville Years, Vol 1 set)

ChiliD, I did have TPO at the time, so I could pretty much eliminate, "Underway", "My Dream", and I also since gotten Kiln House, so no, it wasn't "Earl Grey". This song sounded quite a bit different from "Earl Grey". It definitely reminded me of Peter's playing. Ok, that leaves us with "World In Harmony", was this an all instrumental song? Do you highly regard this one? Is it at an outstanding Green composition, maybe more reserved playing than on "Green Manalishi"?

The "Apostle" song, also sounds like a good candidate? ChiliD, how important is In The Skies album? Is it Green at his best solo? Did he have a second guitarest, was it Snowy White? Did he need the second guitarest just for rhythym guitar? If I were to only get one Peter Green cd, would you recommend this one above the others. Had his vocal sound changed much since his last recordings from the early 70's, as compared to how he sounds now with the Peter Green Splinter Group? There seems to be two different albums called In The Skies, one is called In The Skies, Delta Blues and has slightly different songs? I know these are some tough questions and up for differences of opinion, only answer if you like and what you feel comfortable giving opinions on?

Last edited by greenfire; 02-16-2004 at 09:13 PM..
Old 02-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by greenfire
ChiliD, I did have TPO at the time, so I could pretty much eliminate, "Underway", "My Dream", and I also since had gotten Kiln House, so no it wasn't "Earl Grey". This song sounded quite a bit different from "Earl Grey". It definitely reminded me of Peter's playing. Ok, that leaves us with "World In Harmony", was this an all instrumental song? Do you highly regard this one? Is it at outstanding Green composition, maybe more reserved playing than on "Green Manalishi"?

The "Apostle" song, also sounds like a good candidate? ChiliD, how important is In The Skies? If I were to only get one Peter Green cd, would you recommend this one above the others. Had his vocal sound changed since his last recordings from the early 70's as compared to how he sound now with the Peter Green splinter group? There seems to be two different album called In The Skies, one is called In The Skies, Delta Blues and has slightly different songs? I know these are some tought questions and up for differences of opinion but would be curious what your thought are.?
To tell you the truth, if you heard this on the radio 6 years ago, I doubt that it was any of these songs. I've never heard any of them on the radio myself, and none of them seem likely to be played on the radio. I'd say it was more likely a more recent instrumental by some guitarist who sounds a bit like Peter Green, but I have no idea who that might be or what the song might be.

Regarding "In the Skies", the "Delta" one is not the original album. I don't know why they used the same name - very confusing. This is the track list of the real "In the Skies":

1. In the Skies
2. Slabo Day
3. Fool No More
4. Tribal Dance
5. Seven Stars
6. Funky Chunk
7. Just for You
8. Proud Pinto
9. Apostle

If you get any of Peter's late '70s/early '80's CDs, this is the one to get. I think it's far better than any of the others from that time. Peter's vocals were somewhere in between his Mac and his Splinter Group style, but very recognizable as Peter. Just be aware that a fair amount of the lead guitar on "In the Skies" is not by Peter (for example the very nice instrumental "Slabo Day"). But I'd definitely recommend this CD if you enjoy Peter Green.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes,
Snowy White plays lead guitar on two tracks - "Slabo Day" and the title track. Slabo Day is absolutely one of the best tracks on the album, and I don't think I've heard Snowy play better than this!

I also think the album is Peter's best from that era. It is more funky and experimental than the rest of the albums, although I would highly recommend Little Dreamer and Whatcha Gonna Do too. White Sky is also good - a favourite of mine for some time. Again, it is rather different than the rest, with much more energy and rock music.

I'd say Kolors and Katmandu/A Case For The Blues would be the last one you'd get...

Daniel
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dansven
Yes,
Snowy White plays lead guitar on two tracks - "Slabo Day" and the title track. Slabo Day is absolutely one of the best tracks on the album, and I don't think I've heard Snowy play better than this!

I also think the album is Peter's best from that era. It is more funky and experimental than the rest of the albums

The only song I've now heard from this much recommended album is "Apostle"? This is a very beautiful song, really like Green's playing here. You can disagree with me, but the song does remind me a bit of the style of "Albatross". I don't know if he was trying to create in that same style? I know it's a moot point and really doesn't matter. I feel he succeeds on both levels, creating a similar style, yet very different. The type of song that as a fan, I would expect to hear from Peter Green.

When you hear music you like, whether it really speaks to you, or if it's just plain fun. Speaking for myself, I form an attachment with it and then want to dig deeper into the catalog. You want more of the same but yet different. I've always gotten that from Fleetwood Mac, with Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Christine, and last but not least, Bob Welch. There is a lot of variety & diversity and yet a very similar & familiar feel about the Fleetwood Mac tracks, even across different song writers.

Sorry, I drifted off for a moment...don't even know if it makes any sense? I guess "Apostle" speaks to me as thought some of Peter's Fleetwood Mac style is present on his later solo albums. I guess what I mainly wanted to ask, is "Apostle" a typical sound for the In The Skies album or should I be thinking more electric and rocking for the overall sound?

Last edited by greenfire; 02-19-2004 at 11:28 PM..
Old 02-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by greenfire
I guess what I mainly wanted to ask, is "Apostle" a typical sound for the In The Skies album or should I be thinking more electric and rocking for the overall sound?
As far as "production", yes...but, "songwriting", no. There's really nothing on In The Skies that one could describe as "rockin'"...but, it's not a bunch of songs that sound like "Oh Well, Part 2" either.

"Fool No More" is the same slow blues tune he recorded back with Fleetwood Mac and was released on The Original Fleetwood Mac album. This version is a little slower and seems to have more emotion, oddly enough. "Tribal Dance" here is the same song as Peter later re-recorded with the PGSG for the Destiny Road album. "Just For You" is about my favorite song on the album...it almost sounds as if it could be the start of a Pink Floyd song. The title track is VERY similar to "Soul Dressing" that Peter recorded with Peter B's Looners (which appears as the opening track of Disc One of the Show Biz Blues, Vol 2 set)...except this has lyrics, the Peter B's tune was instrumental. The version of "Apostle" here is different than the mp3 I sent you, greefire; that was the 45 version.

I think I would almost recommend Little Dreamer over In The Skies...or like they insinuate on those Petco commercials..."get both!"
Old 02-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
"Fool No More" is the same slow blues tune he recorded back with Fleetwood Mac and was released on The Original Fleetwood Mac album. This version is a little slower and seems to have more emotion, oddly enough.

I think I would almost recommend Little Dreamer over In The Skies...or like they insinuate on those Petco commercials..."get both!"
"Fool No More" is my favorite from In The Skies- I like it much more than the version on The Original Fleetwood Mac. As you say, it's more emotional, and I think it's got Peter's most expressive playing and singing on the album.

Maybe I'll have to listen to Little Dreamer again - I just never remember especially getting into that one, although the title track is a gem.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Besides the title track, Little Dreamer has:

One Woman Love
Crying Won't Bring You Back
Born Under A Bad Sign
Baby When The Sun Goes Down
Loser Two Times
Walkin' The Road
I Could Not Ask For More

To me, the only weak tune on the album is "Momma Don'tcha Cry".
Old 02-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sharksfan2000
[B]"Fool No More" is my favorite from In The Skies- I like it much more than the version on The Original Fleetwood Mac. As you say, it's more emotional,

The two versions of "A Fool No More", are, to my mind, a devastating illustration of the changes that Green had gone through.
The fire that fueled the original, a blistering Otis Rush / Buddy Guy inspired tale of torment, had all but consumed itself ten years later.
His rage has been reduced to resignation; the stinging accusations of the originals guitar solo has been turned into unflinching introspection.
In the 1977 version, he uses the sustain to create this vast, empty, aural landscape.
He had looked into that abyss only once before, on "Out Of Reach", (to me one of his finest pieces), but the Siren's call brought him back -

The old expression is that "the blues is truth" - I don't think Green ever learned to lie - he couldn't and he wouldn't fake it.
It was just self-preservation that he stopped playing blues

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder