Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Msn.com has listed that there is now "Conflicting reports on the condition of rock icon Tom Petty. Details to come ..."

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

RIP Tom Petty. What a shock. I'm so sorry for Stevie too
Old 10-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
Msn.com has listed that there is now "Conflicting reports on the condition of rock icon Tom Petty. Details to come ..."
I just read this from TMZ, too:

"1:35 PM PT -- Sources tell us at 10:30 Monday morning a chaplain was called to Tom's hospital room. We're told the family has a do not resuscitate order on Tom. The singer is not expected to live throughout the day, but he's still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer's death is inaccurate -- the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. handled the emergency."

Either way, this is very sad.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 10-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tom Petty and the Heart breakers are my second fave band of all time, after Fleetwood Mac.
I've seen them many times.This is making me cry.

Last edited by TheWildHeart67; 10-02-2017 at 04:30 PM..
Old 10-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've gotten drunk so many times, by myself listening to to Tom Petty, I feel like I lost a good drinking buddy. Sad!!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is obviously going to hit Stevie very hard. I don’t know how she has coped with all this loss throughout her life. Prayers.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is obviously going to hit Stevie *very *hard. I don’t know how she has coped with all this loss throughout her life. Prayers
She deals with loss the way WE ALL DO. She's a human being.
My parents died horrible deaths to cancer. A friend of mine was murdered. Another friend OD'd..EVERYBODY suffers and copes with loss.
Stevie hasn't gone through any worse loss than ANY other human being
Old 10-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
She deals with loss the way WE ALL DO. She's a human being.
My parents died horrible deaths to cancer. A friend of mine was murdered. Another friend OD'd..EVERYBODY suffers and copes with loss.
Stevie hasn't gone through any worse loss than ANY other human being

Wow. That was pretty harsh response. I think you took the OPs comment out of context.

People deal with death very differently. It depends on the mental state and emotional maturity of the one who loses a loved one. And your statement is of "....hasn't gone through any worse loss than ANY other human being" is completely inaccurate; some human beings have to endure much more loss than others....

Be nice. Lets keep this conversation about the loss of Tom Petty and how the fans and other musicians like Stevie will handle the news and please keep your personal loss out of this. Its not about you.

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tom Petty, the American rocker who fronted one of the country’s longest-running, most successful bands, is fighting for his life, according to reports.

TMZ first reported the news Monday that he was found unconscious in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home Sunday. CBS News later reported his death, which could not be independently confirmed. A representative for Petty did not immediately return The Washington Post’s inquiry.

A CBS Twitter account attributed the report of Petty’s death to the Los Angeles Police Department; the tweet has since been deleted.

“The LAPD has no information about the passing of singer Tom Petty. Initial information was inadvertantly [sic] provided to some media sources,” the police department posted on Twitter. “However, the LAPD has no investigative role in this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience in this reporting.”

TMZ followed up with a post that Petty was “still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer’s death is inaccurate.”

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers had just concluded their 40th anniversary tour, which Petty had said would be the band’s last big, country-spanning tour. The group played shows at Los Angeles’ Hollywood Bowl on Sept. 21, 22 and 25, and earlier on Monday, Petty’s official website posted a recap of the group’s final shows.

“It’s 1:22 a.m., and the last lighting, video and sound cases are getting loaded up and pushed off the stage at the Hollywood Bowl, where Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers played three incredible sold-out, hometown shows to close out the band’s 40th Anniversary tour,” reads the blog post. “Fifty-three shows. Twenty-four states. Twelve lighting crew. Eleven truck drivers. Nine in Production. Seven sound guys. Six backline crew. Six months. Five opening acts. Three countries. Three riggers. One legendary band and over one million legendary fans. Thank you to all!”

In August, a series of shows was postponed as Petty recovered from laryngitis.

On Monday, a few hours before TMZ ran with the news, this throwback photo had been posted to Petty’s official Twitter account.

Originally from Florida, Petty rose to fame as the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, whose 1976 self-titled debut featured his unique nasal voice and guitar work. His career, both with the band and as a solo act, spanned decades and included hits such as “Rockin’ Around (With You),” “Breakdown,” “Free Fallin’” and “Last Dance with Mary Jane.”

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-02-2017, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebokandlace View Post
Wow. That was pretty harsh response. I think you took the OPs comment out of context.

People deal with death very differently. It depends on the mental state and emotional maturity of the one who loses a loved one. And your statement is of "....hasn't gone through any worse loss than ANY other human being" is completely inaccurate; some human beings have to endure much more loss than others....

Be nice. Lets keep this conversation about the loss of Tom Petty and how the fans and other musicians like Stevie will handle the news and please keep your personal loss out of this. Its not about you.
I don't think that is harsh at all. This is about Tom, not Stevie. Geesh!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I don't think that is harsh at all. This is about Tom, not Stevie. Geesh!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Everything is NOT about her!!!!

Almost all of us have dealt with cancer deaths in our families, car wreck deaths, drug overdoses, etc...

Of course it's very sad that he died, but his life was no more precious than that of some random child that died of cancer today, nor the victims in Las Vegas last night.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Everything is NOT about her!!!!

Almost all of us have dealt with cancer deaths in our families, car wreck deaths, drug overdoses, etc...

Of course it's very sad that he died, but his life was no more precious than that of some random child that died of cancer today, nor the victims in Las Vegas last night.
He is not dead yet. Apparently he is off Life Support but barely alive. I think they they think it's inevitable though that he is going die.

Tom Petty is part of Americana. When he is gone, America will truly have lost a National Treasure.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My condolences to Tom's family, friends, and bandmates, including his sometime collaborator Miss Nicks. Tom contributed a iconic legacy to rock and roll and he will forever be missed.

Unfortunately, this is a grave reminder that we are ALL living on borrowed time. Tomorrow is not promised. Remember this.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Unfortunately, this is a grave reminder that we are ALL living on borrowed time. Tomorrow is not promised. Remember this.
I agree with this. Glenn Frey was the first death that really hit me on a personal level. The first of my heroes to die. That my heroes, a generation ahead of me,....that their numbers are being called. And the horrible result of that is that my generation will be called before you know it. I mean, even if that's 20-25 years from now...it's coming. Every day should be precious.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]I don't think that is harsh at all. This is about Tom, not Stevie. Geesh!/QUOTE]
That's all I was saying. Wasn't trying to sound harsh. But the Vegas shooting tragedy, and the news about Tom Petty... It's a really sad day in history. Stevie is going to be sad. But poor Stevie? I'm usually the first to stick up for her. But this isn't about her tragedy. Sorry if I sounded harsh.