Yes 138 93.24%
No 6 4.05%
Suck it and see 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I still don't see how two examples of her lambasting low-selling albums constitutes "plenty," but so be it.
I see it as three examples (Street Angel, Tusk and Say You Will), combined with her general fixation on sales, as when she discussed the reason why SYW should not be a double album and when she blamed fans for stealing her music as the reason that albums don't sell. Contrast that with her failure to criticize the content of albums that sold more, but contained more inferior content. You see no trend. I see a rather distinct one.

I think sales rates have influenced her perspective strongly.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 01-26-2014 at 05:57 PM..
Old 01-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
And she's not criticizing IYD yet, so that's good.
I don't expect her to criticize IYD. She started it with the idea that it wouldn't sell very much, with her management telling her that it wouldn't and perhaps telling her not to waste her time. And instead of listening to them, as she might have before, she said she went forward with it anyway. She made a conscious effort to push aside the disappointment she'd felt with sales in the past to do something she believed in.

I see that as turning a new corner in her solo career.

For FM though, I think she (and the band in general) may still have some sales objectives that they won't see met, in the end.

Michele
Old 01-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I see it as three examples (Street Angel, Tusk and Say You Will), combined with her general fixation on sales, as when she discussed the reason why SYW should not be a double album and when she blamed fans for stealing her music as the reason that albums don't sell. Contrast that with her failure to criticize the content of albums that sold more, but contained more inferior content. You see no trend. I see a rather distinct one.

The only thing she ever criticized about 'Tusk,' were Lindsey's songs (which Christine also admitted to not being crazy about).

Look, I don't disagree that sales have been important to Stevie. I've long maintained that album sales and ticket sales were, for her, validation that her music was striking a chord -- just as Lindsey's validation has always been critical praise. When something that you've grown accustomed to, is no longer there, it requires quite an adjustment in your thinking.

Quote:
Contrast that with her failure to criticize the content of albums that sold more, but contained more inferior content. You see no trend. I see a rather distinct one.
I know it's hard to believe, but maybe she actually likes her songs on 'Mirage' and 'Tango.' (She talked glowingly to MTV about "When I See You Again," roughly half a year before the album was released. Even compared it to "Landslide.")

And then there's 'Behind The Mask,' which was a bomb compared to the sales of previous albums. I've never once heard her lambast that one.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
(She talked glowingly to MTV about "When I See You Again," roughly half a year before the album was released. Even compared it to "Landslide".
Which proves that, by that time, she was totally detached from reality.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think she uses sales as a whip to lash Lindsey. As for Street Angel, as a whip to lash klono.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it is important for a band to continue to evolve. That means continuing to write and make new music. I think it keeps the members fresh and musically happy to make new music. I think a new album would be wonderful, maybe add to the Extended Play. Having said that, they can still devote most of their concerts to the "classic" material, and just do a few of the new songs. What is wrong with that?

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 01-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
And then there's 'Behind The Mask,' which was a bomb compared to the sales of previous albums. I've never once heard her lambast that one.
She quit the band and has acted like that never even happened since.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
She had plenty of opportunities to complain about the album when she was being questioned all throughout the latter part of 1991 about quitting the band, but she never once said a single negative thing about it. I do agree, however, that it's no longer on her radar.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The only thing she ever criticized about 'Tusk,' were Lindsey's songs (which Christine also admitted to not being crazy about).
No, she also repeatedly criticized Tusk for being a double album. Why does the fact that it's a double album matter to her, because it decreases sales, a view that was elucidated in Destiny Rules.

Yes, maybe she does like her Tango and Mirage songs. I just don't think it's a coincidence that she, surprise, likes songs on albums that sold.

Michele
Old 01-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't imagine she liked TITN when it was made, but it's not an album on her hate list. I think she would hate that album if it hadn't sold. But it sold well and she doesn't complain about it. Other than its sales, I would think Tango has very little to recommend itself to Stevie. Gold records help ease disappointment.

Michele
That's an excellent point. Interestingly enough, FM needed Stevie to make that album succeed, but ultimately, her songs were the weakest. Commercially, even Lindsey's songs -- which typically were the least successful -- did better on that album.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
And she told Nicky Horne that her business reps thought that Lindsey's exit was devastating to the band any way. She said they didn't even want her to do the tour, because she could make more money solo. So, I think she went into BTM thinking it would go nowhere from the start.

But she did it out of loyalty to FM and she says she had a great time with Rick.

If she'd ever had any hopes for BTM and then it had failed on the charts, I believe her attitude would not be the same. But when you do it, thinking it's a lost battle already, it's a different ball game.

Michele
Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish somebody in an interview would ask Stevie "What are your three favorite Mac albums", much like what was asked of Christine last year.

I believe Christine said Rumours, Tusk, and Mystery to Me are her favorites, though she said the last one was a distant third.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I wish somebody in an interview would ask Stevie "What are your three favorite Mac albums", much like what was asked of Christine last year.

I believe Christine said Rumours, Tusk, and Mystery to Me are her favorites, though she said the last one was a distant third.
Christine didn't say Tusk. But I agree with you that people should ask Stevie that.

Poor Lindsey. He says the others have told him that they like Tusk. Mick likes it. I don't know about the other 3. They may like it ok, but it's no one else's favorite, I'm sure. He is fooling himself.

Michele
Old 01-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Yeah, I don't see how anyone could even dispute that, especially when she was giddy in her introduction of the SYW track to record execs and stressing how sellable she thought it was (no wonder she was disappointed in the actual sales). If there were any doubts before that, they should have been put to rest then and there.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
T I've never once heard her lambast that one.
None of the band members talk about Behind the Mask or Time. They act like those albums never happened, and I can't say I blame them.