Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Article from Examiner.com;
These songs topped the charts in the UK pop charts in the late 60's but lagged on the US charts;

http://www.examiner.com/article/thes...charts?cid=rss

Somebody here is a Fleetwood Mac fan. Of the ten songs featured two are Fleetwood Mac. Albatross yes, but surely Oh Well never topped the UK charts did it?

"ALBATROSS" (Fleetwood Mac, 1968; U.S. No. 104): By the time Fleetwood Mac became familiar and popular with U.S. audiences in the mid-1970s, the original lineup had a string of successes in the UK after being formed as a British blues band in 1967. Group members until 1970 were guitarists Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer, drummer Mick Fleetwood and bass John McVie. This instrumental, written by Green, topped the UK charts in December 1968, but it only Bubbled Under the Hot 100 at No. 104 in the U.S., and in 1973, it returned to the UK charts at No. 2

"OH WELL" (Fleetwood Mac, 1969; U.S. No. 55): By 1975, after relocating to California and undergoing lineup changes -- including the addition of guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and vocalist Stevie Nicks -- the band finally caught on big-time in America. But still with the original lineup (see "Albatross" above), the band went to the top of the UK charts with this one, which was their first U.S. Billboard Hot 100 entry, though it only reached No. 55.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

'Oh Well' had entered the charts at number thirty-four the first week of October 1969.
It jumped twenty places to number fourteen the second week, and continued its climb, making it into the Top Ten at number nine the third week and number eight, the fourth.
The first week of November saw it leap to number four, and if finally topped out at number two (denied the top slot by The Archies’ ‘Sugar Sugar’ and Rolf Harris’ ‘Two Little Boys’ during the second and third weeks of that month, respectively). After that, it began a slow slide back down and finally fell off of the charts in the last week in December.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 07-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That Rolf Harris has a lot to answer for if you ask me!
Old 07-27-2014, 05:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

hi, everybody!
up until now i've only seen excerpts of the "monster music mash" and this swedish (?) tv gig (youtube, dvd, vhs). does anybody know if the complete footage of these 2 shows is available anywhere out there? would be GREAT!
martin
Old 07-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There were a couple of great vintage Yes releases on DVD a few years ago. One collected a bunch of German tv appearances with Peter Banks in the line up, and the other was a special Belgian or Danish (sorry, I forget which) program of losely linked videos at local locations (now with Steve Howe and Chris Squire wearing his old Granny Takes A Trip jacket from Tomorrow days). I would LOVE for Fleetwood Mac to get on the ball and put out similar DVDs from the blues era into the Welchian times! There is that one documentary video/DVD if you can find it with many great and sometimes long clips, they could easily rerelease that with full lenthg bonuses like the Realin' In The Years British Invasion series did with the Small Faces, Hollies etc. For people who are sometimes called money-grubbers they sure seem to miss many opportunities to release and re-release things.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Twenty years ago there was a VHS release entitled “Fleetwood Mac – The Early Years” (Rhino Video1994) which compiled less than an hour’s worth of video performances of the Green-era Fleetwood Mac.
It was a slap-dash package, which simply strung the clips that they had in a somewhat chronological order, while providing no documentation as to where the footage came from, or when it was recorded.
Worse, especially in light of the short running time, for most of the shows that they pulled performances from, they left out one or more from the same show.

The DVD release “The Original Fleetwood Mac - The Early Years” (Image Entertainment 1999) appears to be out of print in the U.S. and the copies still in circulation are absurdly overpriced.

As to your specific question, the audio show that the performance clip of ‘Rattlesnake Shake’ (done for State owned Norsk Rikskringkasting of Norway) comes from is in circulation among fans, and another three of the songs from this broadcast, ‘I’m Worried’, ‘Like It This Way’ and ‘The World Keep On Turning’ were on the “Early Years” VHS / DVD listed above.

As mentioned, the latter three songs have been commercially available for twenty years, but the clip of ‘Rattlesnake Shake’ only recently (in relative terms) appeared on-line. If footage exists of any of the other numbers, it has yet to surface.

Similarly, ‘Oh Well’ was one of three numbers that FM performed on Monster Music Mash. For reasons unknown the other two numbers, ‘Like Crying’ and ‘Linda’ were included on the “Early Years” collection, while ‘Oh Well’ was left off. (there is a different, mimed performance of the song on the collection; perhaps they didn’t want two versions of the same song – as if that would have been a problem for fans!)

I agree with Becca that someone is missing an opportunity to put together a real compilation that would include all of the filmed appearances of the band leading up to the Buckingham / Nicks era.

Different collectors have already done this and many are happy to trade and share, but it would be nice to have consistent sound and visual quality for all of the different shows and (since this is never gonna happen) detailed notes providing context and other relevant information for the different clips.

One can dream….

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 07-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Right, and they are also sitting on all the other BBC recordings like You Need Love (Whole Lotta Love). In the book Strange Brew it is said early FM appeared on British TV a lot with performances of Green Manalishi, etc. Where are these?!?! If I recall, they even played One Sunny Day or Loving Kind...now that's rare!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
(there is a different, mimed performance of the song on the collection; perhaps they didn’t want two versions of the same song – as if that would have been a problem for fans!)
AND if they really only wanted one Oh Well, it's kind of a slam dunk that it should've been the Monster Mash one, why they chose the mimed one I'll never know.

John
Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
AND if they really only wanted one Oh Well, it's kind of a slam dunk that it should've been the Monster Mash one, why they chose the mimed one I'll never know.

John
And to WHAT (then unreleased live) version are they miming to?

GJK

Last edited by GJK; 08-01-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post

GJK
I believe that bands of this era sometimes had to go in specialy to record a track to which they would then mime on the show A complete waste of time, but union rules and all that stuff at the time meant they had to do it (of course that doesnt mean that they wouldnt try avoid wasting their time and get their manager slip a few quid to someone to say that the tape they presented to the show had just been specially recorded for that show when it was from elsewhere or taken from the master recording )
Old 08-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post

GJK
Boston Tea Party version, still love it and all but...

John
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

John
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBU0ilZLQvI

It seems like Peter's vocal is live, and like THD said, I think they specifically recorded this for TV. It is stereo and pretty cool, different from the live at BBC with Peter Green on the resonator guitar.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBU0ilZLQvI

It seems like Peter's vocal is live, and like THD said, I think they specifically recorded this for TV. It is stereo and pretty cool, different from the live at BBC with Peter Green on the resonator guitar.
No, that's the one they shouldn't have used (and did use), the Boston Tea Party lip synch. I don't think those vocals are live, they sound just like the ones on the recording, IMHO.

THIS is the one they SHOULD'VE used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEWjXjWT8Co

JMHO though.

John
Old 08-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, that's the one they shouldn't have used (and did use), the Boston Tea Party lip synch. I don't think those vocals are live, they sound just like the ones on the recording, IMHO.

JMHO though.

John
I love this one!
Definitely a live take. Just watch them f**k up right before the 2nd vocal break. Peter's laughing at the whole thing!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

JMHO though.

John
So it must be an older, non-remastered version of Oh Well with no audience? I wonder what originally accompanied that clip when it aired, the studio version?