Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Ledgie

Default Lindsey was cheated

Ok I am a little slow and I know that Out Of The Cradle came out 11 years ago but I always thought OOTC did fairly well then I read that it only made it to 120 something on the us charts WHAT? Lindsey was cheated I wonder if he feels the same?
Old 08-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Yep

I think Lindsey felt quite dissillusioned, or even cheated as you say, regarding the sales of OOTC. There was good reviews but poor sales, and those who did buy it loved it - so really you could think of it as a 'boutique' CD. Not one for the popular masses.
Meanwhile, why Countdown wasn't a bigger hit on radio I don't understand. Maybe it didn't suit the music tastes of the time, but a good song is a good song, an Countdown is a good song!
Old 08-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's too bad. I love this album, and I don't see how it didn't break through with singles like "Countdown." I think it just came out @ a wrong time in music, with Grunge coming in and all.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:39 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In my opinion Out Of The Cradle is one of the greatest albums of all time...one of the few that I would call "perfect". It's totally unfair that it reached such a poor chart position, but I don't think that position is in any way indicative of the quality of the music - a fact that I truly hope LB has also realised by now given the 100s if not 1000s of times that fans have told him how great it is ( - some have even told him how it changed their lives for the much better).

I reckon two of the main reasons it did so badly on the charts is because it was released at a time when "pop" music was something very different than what was on the album, and also because the last time the world had heard of Lindsey Buckingham at all was 5 years earlier during the promotions for TITN, and the last time he was promoted as a solo artist was 8 years earlier. As somebody here on The Ledge said a while ago (I can't remember who), the name "Lindsey Buckingham" unfortunately is not even 1% as striking and memorable as the names "Fleetwood Mac" and "Stevie Nicks".

Reminds me of that repeating end line of "Shuffle Riff":

"No one knows my name...."

Old 08-16-2003, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
As somebody here on The Ledge said a while ago (I can't remember who), the name "Lindsey Buckingham" unfortunately is not even 1% as striking and memorable as the names "Fleetwood Mac" and "Stevie Nicks".
Yeah, poor Lindsey does not have a rock-star name. I'm sure he's thought about that a number of times, too, lol.

And, like everyone else here, I believe OOTC should have gotten the public recognition it deserved. At the time it was released, I wasn't even aware of its existence, and back then I listened to mainstream pop radio all the time.

What a delight it was to discover it in 1998!

Old 08-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy Cheated isn't even the right WORD!

Grunge music came on the scene around that time (unfortunately ) and took over the frickin music world. I was a sophomore in high school in 1992 and all I remember hearing on the radio and at school during morning announcements was Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc. UGH!!

I was into Boyz II Men, Christian music and NKOTB.

Poor Lindsey. The average music listener doesn't know who Lindsey is because they only "hear" music, they don't "listen" to it. It's turned on in the car while they get from one place to another, it's on as background noise. Most people don't lie down on their bed in the middle of the night with headphones on and cry when they hear Red Rover, ISA or Soul Drifter...like I do.

Perhaps if OOTC had come out a bit later or earlier or something, it would have done better, but even THAT is wishful thinking....people only wanna be entertained.....not moved.

Thank GOD I watched National Lampoons Vacation that fateful day in 2001.....
Old 08-16-2003, 01:33 PM
Ledgie

Yes I still get chills when I listen to it.But 129th man I would have thought 20 something I thought wrong was popular but then again it was years before I even knew it was out
Old 08-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Plus, in 1992, it wasn't terribly hip to be associated with Fleetwood Mac... whether as a current member or a former member.

Fleetwood Mac's 1992 boxed-set, 'The Chain,' didn't even chart...
Mick, John, Rick, and Billy, all had albums out around that time, and none of them did very well (though I doubt anyone truly expected any of them to do huge numbers)... and Stevie's 'Street Angel' sold considerably less than her previous solo albums.

Grunge, hip-hop, and rap, had taken over... and there was really no room for the "dinosaurs."
The outcome of which, was that many very worthy albums released around that time period... not the least of which was 'Out Of The Cradle'... were over-looked by the buying public.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:53 PM
trackaghost
Old 08-18-2003, 03:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I still think a lot of people see Fleetwood Mac as uncool though, even though I love them.
Say it isn's so... hahaha... I proudly wear my mac shirts...

I bought OOTC a few years ago and thought it was great, and I agree with everyone else that it came out at a bad time in music history and was sadly overlooked... I am just grateful that Lindsey has had such success with the mac that it allows him to create such "daring" and "different" music that sounds awesome...

Truthfully I never really apreciated Lindsey until I heard OOTC and his Gift Of Screws demos... and heard Stevie's solo stuff, it made me realize why I liked the Mac so much, Lindsey was a big part of that...

I am not a big fan of Stevie's solo stuff, there are alot of songs I like but I do not own her solo albums except Timespace, Enchanted, and Trouble in SL... I like the way Stevie sounds with the Mac and Lindsey... But on the other hand I love Lindsey's solo albums but there are only two of them...

Basically what I am trying to say is that it took me awhile to realize what a big part Lindsey played in the "Mac" sound... and I never appreciated him until it hit me one day... Lindsey is probably my favorite mac member but I would never tell Stevie or Christine... so shhhhh...

Also just because this pop in my head... a few days ago when I burned a lindsey cd, I played it in the car with my mom and "holiday road" came on and she said "Wally World".... oh my god I couldn't stop laughing... the fact she remembered it was from "National Lampoons Vacation" and she never remembers anything... it was hilarious....
Old 08-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David R

But on the other hand I love Lindsey's solo albums but there are only two of them...
Ummm...there's three: Law and Order, Go Insane and OOTC

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 08-19-2003, 01:01 AM
Senior Ledgie

you read my whole post and point out a typo... ?? grrr... haha my mistake, I wrote that before bed...
Old 08-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David R
Basically what I am trying to say is that it took me awhile to realize what a big part Lindsey played in the "Mac" sound... and I never appreciated him until it hit me one day... Lindsey is probably my favorite mac member but I would never tell Stevie or Christine... so shhhhh...
Yeah, I think we all realized that when The Dance came out. I swore to myself that I would never partake in a Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey again. And let's face it, Stevie without Lindsey is less exciting, their chemistry (and Lindsey's production) is what makes this band, especially these days.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Where have I been? Being a FM fan newbie, I just discovered OUT OF THE CRADLE this year.

I can't imagine the Mac without L. Buckingham. I don't own any of THOSE CDs. I thought OUT OF THE CRADLE was a true masterpiece!!! Buck's voice and guitar work are pure ear candy. The album just flows with magical sounds, and the fact that LB plays almost all the instruments himself shows what a true musical genius he was/IS!!!

It took an 11 piece band to replicate this album on tour. Wished I would've seen Janet Robin and Buckingham play dueling guitars.
I can Imagine how high-octane those "duets" must have been. (My two brothers think Buck's former bandmates, J. Robin and Liza Carbe, are real babes!!!!)
Old 08-20-2003, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by trackaghost
And Stevie's Street Angel didn't do as well because its simply not as good as her other records, or at the very least, received some terrible reviews!
A lot of people don't realize this, but 'Street Angel' actually received pretty decent reviews.

Many critics were pleased as punch that Stevie released an album that was "earthier" than her previous efforts, and commended her for it.

Granted, there were other critics who didn't care for it... but that's always the way it goes, isn't it?
Old 08-20-2003, 07:34 PM
trackaghost
Old 08-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by trackaghost
The reviews on this side of the pond for Street Angel were pretty poor, and I remember Q Magazine saying she must have conned Bob Dylan to play on Just Like A Woman because it was so bad.
Ooh, yeah, that's definitely true... the UK reviews weren't very favorable. But then, UK reviews for any of Stevie's albums have never been very favorable.

But then, I don't think many UK critics are too bowled over by Lindsey either. At least that's been my impression.

But that's true of anywhere in the world, isn't it? Lindsey & Stevie have both very vocal supporters and very vocal detractors.