User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default J.McVie-the ultimate Bass player

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ultimate Band Part 2 : Bass (In search of Geddy Paul Jones)
Welcome to part 2 of the creation of my Ultimate Band. Last time around, we looked at drums. Now, I will be saving the final lineup of my ultimate band for the end of this quest. I will announce the members of my band in one single post. One more things, in creating my ultimate band it is important that I think about what kind of band I will create. My band will be a rock band, but with a progressive rock lean. Odd time signatures, long songs with many different movements, you know.....progressive. So this will figure in to my decision of who gets in my band. Also remember, no member of RUSH is eligible because it is not fair. They are my ultimate band!!! So once again. No Alex, No Geddy, No Neil.

Alright.......the nominees for Bassist in my band are :

Frank Bello (Anthrax) : How about this choice. Didn't see this one coming did you?? I love Anthrax, and I love the sound of Frank Bello's bass on all Anthrax tracks. Unlike Metallica, where you can't hear the bass very well, Frank Bello's bass in very prominent in the mix, and it sounds great. Plus, he alwasy wore those great 80's shorts and a tank top. How cool is that!!!

Billy Sheehan (David Lee Roth Band, Mr. Big, Steve Vai, Etc.) : This guy shreds, so he deserves to be on this list for that reason alone. But, one listen to the 1st Mr. Big album, and you will know exactly why he is one of my nominees. The bass work on that record is amazing. At times he shreds right along side Paul Gilbert, but then he lays down these big, fat, amazing bass lines that support some incredible songs. A great bass player who can do some much more than shred.

John Myung (Dream Theater, Platypus, The Jelly Jam) : Dream Theater Live at Budhakon..........nuff said. This guy is sick. Give a listen Platypus and the Jelly Jam as well. I can't describe what he does. It is too cool.

John McVie (Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers) : Put on some headphones and listen to Fleetwood Mac song. Any song at all, and you will understand why he is on this list. He just lays it down. So very, very solid. If you are starting off on the bass, listen to Fleetwood Mac (Try the song Dreams) and you will learn what it means to be great bassist. You can't call yourself a drummer if you don't know Steely Dan, and you can't call yourself a bassist if you don't love the tones of John McVie. So Good!!!!

Mario Cipollina (Huey Lewis and the News) : The guy is just too cool with the glasses and all. That's it. Too Cool!!!!

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) : When your fingers move that fast, and carry a steady rhythm, you get to be a nominee for my band. I love Maiden, and the bass is such a huge part of their sound that he has to be on this list. Long Live the Gallop!!!

John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) : John Bohnam and John Paul Jones. How good are these two??? Well how good are Zeppelin's songs??? Yeah, they rock. John Paul Jones is another guy that lays down the coolest bass lines. Once again put on some headphones and listen to what is happening underneath the guitars and vocals........it is crazy how good the bass lines are. So subtle and so down right frigid (because the adjective cool is cool enough to describe what this guy does.)

http://waltermoose.blogspot.com/2008...search-of.html

There is a very nice live photo from the Rumours Tour of John and Lindsey on stage.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Right on, brother!

The fact that John's listed there alongside art rock maestros like Chris Squire shows that there are a number of ways a bass can be played well. Most of my friends, regardless of their musical tastes have always admired McVie's bass lines. I think of songs like "Remember Me," "GYOW," "Dreams," "Sara" and "Miles Away"--all of which are made more substantial because of his contributions.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Most people I know quickly name Geddy, Squire, Entwistle, Jacko, and Flea as the best. I tell them McVie is the best. The others are more technically gifted, and work well for their situation. But McVie was able to make otherwise horse**** songs like Hold Me seem somewhat interesting. John McVie was Fleetwood Mac's secret weapon, and was more responsible for the Fleetwood Mac sound than he'll ever get credit for.

I've heard the live Buckingham Nicks version of Rhiannon, and it was unremarkable compared to what John McVie did to the song. It sounded like a typical song by any other club band. McVie's bass line give the song an almost creepy feel to it, which totally works with the whole Welsh witch thing.

Honestly, I don't know what the bug up Lindsey's ass was in the beginning. If I had a bassist who played like THAT, I'd just close my eyes and smile at how "alive" my music suddenly became.

I always found it odd that with all of the long breaks that he didn't do more outside of the band. I would have loved to have seen him hook up with the Rolling Stones after Bill Wyman quit. He has the right pedigree and has the look (and, IMO, is twice the bassist Wyman could ever be).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Sunday, July 13, 2008

John McVie (Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers) : Put on some headphones and listen to Fleetwood Mac song. Any song at all, and you will understand why he is on this list. He just lays it down. So very, very solid. . . . the tones of John McVie. So Good!!!!

"You'd know that bass line anywhere."

b.t.w. check out how he plays off Christine in "Brown Eyes." i.m.o. it's just freaking stunning.