User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Prince played on the song. There's no debate there. Stevie and others who were in the studio attest to it. Yes, she has since worn the collaboration like a badge, and yes, she is prone to exaggeration, but that's beside the point. This was 1983 and she was at the top of her solo game and a huge figure in the public eye. There would have been no reason why this would not be believable.

The only surprising thing is her insistence on 50/50 publishing rights. Any number of her Mac songs have required more input from Lindsey and the rest of the band. It's like giving John McVie partial credit for his game-changing bass line in "Rhiannon." Because of him, a straight-ahead galloping rock tune became a slithering, seductive thing. Where's his royalty

On another note, the title of this thread is "New Book." I'm still waiting for the thread that will read: "New Album."
Prince might well have demanded 50%. Or his lawyers. Stevie loves to spin stories in the most romantic way possible, and the down and dirty of the business side of show business is anything but romantic. So she tends to leave it out. She never even acknowledged the 50-50 part of it until recent years anyway. Then she began telling the story like it was all her idea. Then again, maybe Prince was gracious about it, and didn't call her out for the thief she was like Tom Petty did when she wrote a song to one of his tracks and took it to FMac. According to her he made her tell them she was a thief and didn't have his permission to use his music.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
People don't give 50% of the royalties to "just the keyboard player". Nice try, though.

Nicks has often told the story of how she wrote the song. She wrote it on the day of her marriage to Kim Anderson on January 29, 1983. The newlyweds were driving up to San Ysidro Ranch in Santa Barbara when Prince's song "Little Red Corvette" came on the radio. Nicks started humming along to the melody, especially inspired by the lush synthesizers of the song, and "Stand Back" was born. They stopped and got a tape recorder and she recorded the demo in the honeymoon suite that night. Later, when Nicks went into the studio to record the song, she called Prince and told him the story of how she wrote the song to his melody. He came to the studio that night and played synthesizers on it, although his contribution is uncredited on the album. He and Nicks did agree however to split the publishing royalties on the song 50-50. Then, she says, "he just got up and left as if the whole thing happened in a dream."
Not sure what you mean by "nice try"I have heard this story repeated in variations since 1983. I also said that she got the melody from "Little Red Corvette"

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 06-25-2016 at 09:28 PM..
Old 06-25-2016, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Prince played on the song. There's no debate there. Stevie and others who were in the studio attest to it. Yes, she has since worn the collaboration like a badge, and yes, she is prone to exaggeration, but that's beside the point. This was 1983 and she was at the top of her solo game and a huge figure in the public eye. There would have been no reason why this would not be believable.
And while Prince had some hermit tendencies, in other respects he could be quite loquacious and very protective of his image. If it had never happened, as well known as the story was, I think he (or his people) would have said so.

Michele
Old 06-25-2016, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Houston Press TUESDAY, JUNE 21, 2016 AT 7 A.M. by Bob Ruggiero

http://www.houstonpress.com/music/he...-story-8458050

To casual rock-book readers, works that compile previously written pieces on bands and musicians into one volume have strong pros and cons. They do provide a fascinating time capsule of the artists at very different points in their career, when they have no way of knowing what the future might bring but that you, the 2016 reader, do. But on the downside, each piece may also serve as a primer on the band’s history – one that gets told over and over and over again.

Fortunately, the insight Fleetwood Mac on Fleetwood Mac offers outweighs its frequent repetitiveness. It's great fodder for fans of a band as legendary and with as many members (with strong personalities) as Fleetwood Mac has had over the years.

Consisting of interviews, features and reviews from 1967 to 2014 (though the vast majority of pieces cover the lineup on 1977's Rumours), it’s a whirlwind tour through the Mac’s musical change and soap opera-like personal relationships. How refreshing to hear Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and Christine McVie discuss, say, Rumours when it is a work in progress and not a foundation of the classic rock canon.

Through the years, members’ opinions of their romantic couplings and uncouplings change and develop as their lives progress. One circa-1982 article, ostensibly to promote the Mirage album and tour, becomes a rumination on the white-hot solo success of Stevie Nicks at the time, as well as what that did to the group dynamic and Buckingham's intensely competitive nature.

A number of articles are also from the period of time in music journalism when writers actually got to spend days with their subjects observing and interviewing them — both on and off the record. Not surprisingly, those go far deeper than a 15-minute phoner or a staged round-robin cattle call of interviews.

So the reader feels as if he or she is in the studio with the band as Christine McVie empties another bottle of Blue Nun positioned on her keyboards; or John McVie and Nicks share giggles while thumbing through a copy of Playboy; or a writer shares a joint with Buckingham (and likely more that never made it into print) after a night of partying.

Of all the band members, Stevie Nicks comes off as the most free-ranging, delving into the mysticism of lace and shawls and the “Rhiannon” myth in one talk, and railing against the Shah and the Ayatollah of Iran during the hostage crisis in another.

The recently departed Prince, who played keyboards on Nicks’s solo hit “Stand Back,” even gets mentioned when she remembers how he gave her the music to an early version of “Purple Rain” for a collaboration that didn’t happen. She also recalls spending a (chaste) night sleeping on the floor of his actual purple kitchen one night during a Mac tour.

And the story isn't over yet. The reunited Rumours Five have been touring over the past few years, including stops in Houston in 2014 and a few months later in 2015, and a new album is on the way.

Like most books of this kind, they are really aimed toward a more-than-casual fan of Fleetwood Mac. But with only Mick Fleetwood having served up two autobiographies, and the definitive history of the group yet to be written (though there have been books through the years), Fleetwood Mac on Fleetwood Mac largely lets the group members speak for themselves.

Now, about those detailed diaries that Stevie Nicks has kept since 1974…
Old 06-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Prince might well have demanded 50%. Or his lawyers. Stevie loves to spin stories in the most romantic way possible, and the down and dirty of the business side of show business is anything but romantic. So she tends to leave it out. She never even acknowledged the 50-50 part of it until recent years anyway. Then she began telling the story like it was all her idea. Then again, maybe Prince was gracious about it, and didn't call her out for the thief she was like Tom Petty did when she wrote a song to one of his tracks and took it to FMac. According to her he made her tell them she was a thief and didn't have his permission to use his music.
So this 50/50 thing is for sure then? For years I heard stories where she offered him 50% because of the circumstances around the way she wrote it, but he didn't think it was necessary and declined her offer.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And while Prince had some hermit tendencies, in other respects he could be quite loquacious and very protective of his image. If it had never happened, as well known as the story was, I think he (or his people) would have said so.

Michele
If the collaboration never happened, I doubt Stevie would have been allowed to speak of it the way she has. Prince's "people" would have probably stopped her from telling outright lies. Why would she spin such lies anyway? She may be fanciful, but she isn't delusional. There is no reason to doubt her story. Embellishments of that story are another matter entirely.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If the collaboration never happened, I doubt Stevie would have been allowed to speak of it the way she has. Prince's "people" would have probably stopped her from telling outright lies. Why would she spin such lies anyway? She may be fanciful, but she isn't delusional. There is no reason to doubt her story. Embellishments of that story are another matter entirely.
The more we know, the more I have doubts
about this story. I'm thinking maybe you do
too.

Why would Prince have stopped this story even
if it was embellished (to say the least)? Because
it just adds to his legacy? It's positive?

I have nephews and nieces who believe I have a
genie in a bottle. They've seen the bottle. They
know where I told them I found it. How I became
it's master. And have even witnessed the magic.

Stevie's story might be just a little more real than
mine.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
The more we know, the more I have doubts
about this story. I'm thinking maybe you do
too.

Why would Prince have stopped this story even
if it was embellished (to say the least)? Because
it just adds to his legacy? It's positive?

I have nephews and nieces who believe I have a
genie in a bottle. They've seen the bottle. They
know where I told them I found it. How I became
it's master. And have even witnessed the magic.

Stevie's story might be just a little more real than
mine.
Point taken, genie. But then if we are to believe Stevie's story is grossly exaggerated, or even fabricated, then aren't we saying she either believes her own fabrications or is openly lying to the public? She may be many things, but she doesn't just invent stories like this. I can't believe we're even questioning the association with Prince.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Point taken, genie.
That made me laugh.

FuzzyPlum,

Wrong Barry.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick Fleetwood, Kesha, other speakers added to SXSW music lineup
February 7, 2017 music news, SXSW 2017.
http://music.blog.austin360.com/2017...-music-lineup/

Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood, platinum-selling rap star Kesha and former Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic are among a large group of speakers announced today for this year’s South by Southwest daytime conference lineup.

The announcement also included many additions to the SXSW film and interactive events:

Other music additions include Cindy Wilson, a founding member of new wave pioneers the B-52’s, and Sammy Hagar, the “Red Rocker” who later became Van Halen’s lead singer.

Fleetwood’s appearance is related to his upcoming book “Love That Burns: A Chronicle of Fleetwood Mac” via Genesis Publications.

Kesha will team up on a panel in the conference’s “Social Impact” track with Amy Emmerich of Refinery29, a digital media company specializing in women’s lifestyles.

After Nirvana, Novoselic became known for his political activism. He was SXSW’s keynote speaker in 1996, and currently is the board chair of FairVote, a nonprofit dealing with democracy issues.

SXSW will continue to announce hundreds of music performers each Friday for the next few weeks. The last batch included Sara Watkins, Mark Eitzel and Bright Light Social Hour.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Mick Fleetwood, Kesha, other speakers added to SXSW music lineup
February 7, 2017 music news, SXSW 2017.
http://music.blog.austin360.com/2017...-music-lineup/

Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood, platinum-selling rap star Kesha and former Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic are among a large group of speakers announced today for this year’s South by Southwest daytime conference lineup.

The announcement also included many additions to the SXSW film and interactive events:

Other music additions include Cindy Wilson, a founding member of new wave pioneers the B-52’s, and Sammy Hagar, the “Red Rocker” who later became Van Halen’s lead singer.

Fleetwood’s appearance is related to his upcoming book “Love That Burns: A Chronicle of Fleetwood Mac” via Genesis Publications.
Didn't Mick release an updated version of his book like 2 years ago? Or maybe this sounds like it will be less memoir, more history of the band. Either way, gotta get that $$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Didn't Mick release an updated version of his book like 2 years ago? Or maybe this sounds like it will be less memoir, more history of the band. Either way, gotta get that $$$$$$$$$$$$
I bought it a couple of months ago, and have only read a few pages! It looks(reads) a LOT like the last one.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jimmy Iovine in the liner notes to the reissue of WH supports the version that Prince came to the studio and laid some keyboard parts down as told by Stevie. In those same notes Stevie says Sandy Stewart laid down the basic tracks over which everything else was recorded.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac’s Early Days Recalled in New Book
by Best Classic Bands Staff
http://bestclassicbands.com/fleetwood-mac-book-2-8-17/

Genesis Publications’ Love That Burns-A Chronicle of Fleetwood Mac

Genesis Publications has announced the availability of a signed, limited-edition book by Mick Fleetwood, drummer, bandleader and founding member of Fleetwood Mac. Love That Burns—A Chronicle of Fleetwood Mac will be published this fall. The book is described in a press release as “Fleetwood’s account of the early blues era of Fleetwood Mac and the musical legacy of the uniquely talented Peter Green.” Green was one of the band’s stellar guitarists in its blues incarnation.

To celebrate the announcement, Mick Fleetwood will appear at the SXSW Conference and Festival in Austin, Texas, on March 15. Speaking with Rolling Stone magazine’s David Fricke, Fleetwood “will unravel the dramatic history of a band that emerged from the British blues boom,” says the press release. The discussion will be illustrated with rare images selected from the forthcoming collaboration with Genesis Publications.

Each handcrafted copy of the book—limited to 2,000 numbered copies worldwide—will be signed by the artist. In addition to the Q&A with Fricke, Genesis Publications and SXSW are offering an exclusive VIP package to a small group of early book buyers. For more information about this forthcoming edition or the SXSW event, go here.

Fleetwood still likes to return to his first love, the blues, when he’s not busy with the Mac. His own Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, featuring guitarist Rick Vito (who replaced Lindsey Buckingham in Fleetwood Mac from 1987-91) recently released Live at the Belly Up, a two-hour album featuring 17 tracks. The album features Fleetwood Mac hits like “Oh Well” “Black Magic Woman” and “Albatross” as well as blues-rock standards like “Carol” and blues classics like “You Can’t Judge A Book By Its Cover” and “Shake Your Moneymaker.” That band also features Lenny Castellanos on bass. The album can be ordered here.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Kesha, Seth Rogen, Mick Fleetwood Tapped to Speak at SXSW
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Bob Odenkirk, Cory Booker, Cecile Richards also set to address Austin fest

Kesha, Seth Rogen and Fleetwood Mac's Mick Fleetwood will speak at South by Southwest, set to take place March 10th through 19th in Austin, Texas.
The latest crop of featured speakers boasts an impressive mix of performers, politicians, activists and entrepreneurs including Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Senator Cory Booker, Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards, GLAAD President Sarah Kate Ellis, Bob Odenkirk, Tinder founder Sean Rad and Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin.
While Fleetwood, Booker and Odenkirk will deliver solo addresses, many of the featured speakers will be in conversation with others or part of larger panels. Kesha, for instance, will speak with Amy Emmerich of Refinery29 and Louis-Dreyfus will talk Veep with other members of the HBO comedy's cast. Rogen, meanwhile, will appear alongside frequent collaborator Evan Goldberg, Sam Catlin and Garth Ennis to discuss their AMC show, Preacher.
SXSW also announced an additional keynote speaker for 2017, Jessica Shortall, the managing director of Texas Competes, a state-wide coalition of companies that uses data to show why Texas should be welcoming to LGBTQ people. Among the other keynote speakers at SXSW this year are Lee Daniels, Gareth Edwards, Zane Lowe, Nile Rodgers and Jill Soloway. Previously announced featured speakers include Nirvana's Krist Novoselic, the B-52's Cindy Wilson, Sammy Hagar, John Cena and Jake Tapper.
A current list of speakers is available on the SXSW website, where the festival's latest film and music lineups can also be perused.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...t-sxsw-w465554