Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default kd lang

I saw kd lang at Humphreys by the Bay in San Diego last night. Wow. I don't ever remember a performance making me completely lose focus of my surroundings and draw me in like she did when she performed Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. Here's a version from youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

I won't go in to details of the show but if you get the chance to catch her on this tour - Go. She co-headlined with Lyle Lovett and brought the house down time and time again. What a gift her voice is.

Also, Russ Kunkel (Stevie's former drummer) is part of Lyle Lovett's Large Band (16 members) for this tour. Best t-shirt was the title of Lyle's upcoming album - "It's not Big, It's Large"

Terry
Old 07-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ so was leisha hailey there? or was she just one in a sea of identical lesbians

kd's voice is amazing, and her take on hallelujah is stunning. glad you had a good time!

now i have to go find if they're coming this way ... i love kd and lyle!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
^^ so was leisha hailey there? or was she just one in a sea of identical lesbians

kd's voice is amazing, and her take on hallelujah is stunning. glad you had a good time!

now i have to go find if they're coming this way ... i love kd and lyle!
Is that Alice's name? I didn't see her but that doesn't mean she wasn't there.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachwood Mac View Post
Is that Alice's name? I didn't see her but that doesn't mean she wasn't there.
yeah, that's alice. err ... shane. errr ... ellen. errr ... goddammit!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I saw her perform that song on a show here last year... And yeah, it WAS an experience hearing that... She has an amazing voice! Was she bare foot?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I saw her perform that song on a show here last year... And yeah, it WAS an experience hearing that... She has an amazing voice! Was she bare foot?
Yes, she was barefoot. It was a treat to see her at a small intimate venue. Humphrey's seats a little over a 1000. I think the rest of the dates together with Lyle in Cal. are at larger 5000+ seat venues.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the Youtube link - i just love K.D.Lang and have all her cd's. She has such a fantastic voice ! . She came to Belgium last year and a friend of mine went to see her, but apparently she was not in a good mood and just did the concert and no encores, leaving the audience very disappointed. (I was on a trip at the time so i did'nt go.)
I'm glad you had a great concert there at Humphreys Terry. And having been to Humphreys myself - hehehe - i know what a lovely place it is. If i were to live in San Diego i would go to every concert there
Suzy

Life is like a box of chocolates : full of nuts
Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gosh, I always wondered what went wrong with her. Back in the lates 80's and early 90's she was this platinum-selling "next big thing" who put out a string of phenomenal albums... She was everywhere- on talk shows, magazine covers, VH1, headlining tours... and then she just... I dunno... hit the wall. She became a recluse and started putting out one crappy album after another that did nothing commercially, and I think she hasn't put out an album of original material in at least 6 or 7 years. Yet she still has that big, amazing voice. Where did kd lang go wrong?

Personally I'm a bit tired of the big band-standards crooning stuff. Even though it would flop commercially due to politics, I would love to hear her do another twangy country album. I remember hearing Absolute Torch and Twang for the first time and just being mesmerized... She needs to come back and show these skinny, no-talent bitches like Faith Hill and Carrie Underwood what the real deal sounds like.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ She actually did sing Turn Me Round and was dancing her old polka style dance on stage. The audience loved it and she seemed to be having lots of fun. She closed with Patsy Cline's Three Cigarettes in an Ashtray after having the entire audience hold hands and try to channel Patsy Cline.

I think she's happier today than she has been in a long while. She was genuinely touched by the reaction she got from the crowd. I've seen her thru most of her career and even though she was successful as a country artist, she wasn't accepted by the country community. I remember the year that she and Lyle Lovett were named top Male and Female Country Vocalists by the Grammy's. Country radio couldn't handle it and at least here in San Diego she's rarely, if ever, played on the radio. She doesn't fit in with any of their formats.

She has a new album coming out early next year so it will be interesting to see what direction she takes this time. I am just in awe of her voice.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyvermoesen View Post
I'm glad you had a great concert there at Humphreys Terry. And having been to Humphreys myself - hehehe - i know what a lovely place it is. If i were to live in San Diego i would go to every concert there
Suzy
I could probably buy another house with the money I have spent attending concerts at Humphrey's. The tickets aren't cheap but the setting is perfect and you get a real intimate performance. Plus, they serve you drinks right at your seat!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

I adore her and saw her a few times in the 90's. Her "Hallelujah" is out of this world and I always play it on the jukebox at my watering hold.

I'd love to see her but she's playing the Concord Pavilion and I just can't stand that place.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt View Post
I adore her and saw her a few times in the 90's. Her "Hallelujah" is out of this world and I always play it on the jukebox at my watering hold.

I'd love to see her but she's playing the Concord Pavilion and I just can't stand that place.
Her and her partner live here in Studio City..I see them all the time.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I freaking love kd lang, but I was a little appalled at seeing her on lately. I always think of her and the lovechild of Elvis and Barbra and she's gotten so something...I can't think of the word to describe her. it's almost like her eyes are lost in her face. too much face girrr. but her voice is one my favorites. I love her album Drag most. I love Hallelujah and as far as covers go, I like Imogen Heap's best, but kd's is a pretty good one too.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
I freaking love kd lang, but I was a little appalled at seeing her on lately. I always think of her and the lovechild of Elvis and Barbra and she's gotten so something...I can't think of the word to describe her. it's almost like her eyes are lost in her face. too much face girrr. but her voice is one my favorites. I love her album Drag most. I love Hallelujah and as far as covers go, I like Imogen Heap's best, but kd's is a pretty good one too.
When she was younger she looked like the butt baby of Jake Gyllenhaal and Pee Wee Herman.

Now she's Clay Aiken on steroids. But butcher.

BTW, I don't care for her version of "Hallelujah" at all. Anyone with two brain cells would not have attempted this after Jeff Buckley...
Old 07-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^
lol.

my fav kd look: