View Poll Results: Is Rumours just a catchy pop album
yes 16 26.67%
no 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Why don't you just get a time machine and go kick LB's, KC's and RD's butts and tell them which takes they should use?
Oh if I could

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
even though I was a child. I did not fall from the chair after hearing GYOW, which received a lot of airplay.

Different generations have different definitions of music. My kids liked Backstreet Boys and NSYNC when they were little but didn't fall off the chair hearing KORN. They're older teens now and know the difference. They also don't like any of those groups now either.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are you trying to make an example of me? Perhaps I should not speak up, seems that whenever I do I'm either told I'm wrong or simply clinically insane.
No I'm not amkign an example of you. Your coments in the other thread just kind of spaked an idea in my hjead for this poll. You should be proud really.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
it was that "just"word that made me vote No.
Man what a comotion one word can make. It seems many didn't like the word just. MAybe I should've should Is Rumours Mainly a Catchy Pop Album.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Having been alive at the time Rumors was released and having been a radio buff years before then, I can say that although Rumors became the standard for pop music, the actual songs were trendsetting it design and execution. Radio had never heard anything exactly like GYOW and GDW, esp. the percussion parts. Although Dreams is very popular to this say, Stevie's spacey and trippy execution of those brilliant lyrics was not really done before except perhaps by Heart. Don't Stop and YMLF are pop, but CM is/was a pop favorite and I love her for it. Havinmg said that, Oh Daddy is FAR from pop, esp. then when the whole Mid East vibe was nowhere on the radio. Interestingly, I think the only exact homnages to pure pop are IDWTK, which is straight Everly Brothers esq. two part harmony from the late 60's, and SHN which although brilliant, borrowed heavily from the Bee Gee's pop standard Jive Talking. Finally, Silver Springs was not pop in the sense that nothing that sounded like it was on the radio at the time. So, while yes, Rumors became the pop standard, it was different in design and execution than pretty much what was being played on the radio at the time. Thus, I vote no.
You put it better them me or anyone else has.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Come on now folks, being a fan is one thing, being objective a different thing.
You like Rumours- fine. But please now- it's not a catchy pop album?
Oh I'm VERY objective, very very objective. I just don't believe that Rumours is like the definition of a catchy pop safe album and Tusk is like the definition of risk taking. Lindsey is moe guilty of this then any of us fans here. He seems to think that Rumours was like the safest possible thing they could've done.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Man what a comotion one word can make. It seems many didn't like the word just. MAybe I should've should Is Rumours Mainly a Catchy Pop Album.
No, it's just that some people are so uncomfortably anal that they're determined to make everyone else just as uncomfortable. Don't sweat it, man. If people want to quarrel over a word, just sit back and laugh.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
TITN is an example for a clear and pure pop album that I love.
I agree that TITN is much more then Rumours what I'd consider a catchy pop album.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Quote:
Lindsey is moe guilty of this then any of us fans here. He seems to think that Rumours was like the safest possible thing they could've done.
In ChiliD's words: "Rumours was pop experimentation that became mainstream".

Rumours wasn't the safest thing they could have done but it was the safest thing they could have replicated. That's what I think Lindsey has always referred to.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 04-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
No, it's just that some people are so uncomfortably anal that they're determined to make everyone else just as uncomfortable. Don't sweat it, man. If people want to quarrel over a word, just sit back and laugh.
now who's being anal... can't stand it if 'some people' have a different opinion, maybe?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
now who's being anal... can't stand it if 'some people' have a different opinion, maybe?
I have no problem with differing opinions, I just think it's ridiculous to get in a huff over the use of the word "just." Big deal.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Now please admit that Rumours is a pop album. Would you all please do that?
Stefan, I agree with you. Nothing wrong with pop, as long as it's good pop. I think you're seeing people answer No because of the "just" in the question. Saying it is "just" a pop album ignores that there's a lot more to Rumours than just a bunch of catchy pop tunes.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Yes. I always thought Stevie and the brilliant CM should have done a duet. That version of Oh Daddy is the closest thing to that we are ever gonna get. When I first heard that version I just stopped what I was doing and stood there and listened to it - mouth agape. I think that version is a perfect example of Stevie's incredible ability to use her voice as an instrument and her inate sense of harmony. Not to mention CM is never wrong IMO.
What version is this of which you speak? Do you mean that there is an alternate take of this song different from the snoozer in the album?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
What version is this of which you speak? Do you mean that there is an alternate take of this song different from the snoozer in the album?
The one on the Rumours bonus disc, dude. It's fantastic.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:50 PM

Quote:
He seems to think that Rumours was like the safest possible thing they could've done.
Careful with the over-interpretations. He has never said that. He actually looked quite proud of the work in the Making of Rumours.