Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:06 AM
joe

Default Tusk tour rehearsal video

so...there is the full length video which looks like it was shot about a mile away from the stage, with closeups coming in about once or twice to where it appears to only be half or maybe quarter a mile away.

i got this one about ten years ago and it was one of the first few videos that started my collection. i was at work when it came in the mail and i asked my friend/neighbor to go ahead without me and just open it up. i think i had gotten the full length "rosebud" in the same package too. so, as impatient as i am, i eagerly command her to just pop it in and describe it to me. she plays it and tells me that the stage is pretty far away. she's like "it's really small on the screen." worried, i ask, "how small"? she explains, "if i held a pack of marlboros up to the tv, that pack represents stage in this case." so, still optimistic, i ask her to ff/search to see if it gets better. she says "oh, wait, it's zooming in now." my anxiety lessens, "cool, how close is it now?" she replies, "it's still a pack of cigarettes....but 100s this time."

anyway, then there's the other rehearsal video. i have a tape that has a few songs, such as "rhiannon", and "save me a place". this one is multi camera shot and has closeups as i'm sure you're all aware. it basically is pro shot. obviously, it's most likely the same peeps that shot the "far way" video.

my question is, where is the full length version of the multi camera/close ups
rehearsal? i see that fleetwoodmac-uk.com has a download of "the ledge" which i've never seen before. why does this stuff come out in dribs and drabs?

Last edited by joe; 05-02-2004 at 08:21 AM..
Old 05-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the heads up, joe. i can't give any answers, but the Ledge is a wonderful liveperformance. A bit more quiet/contolled than the original, but the fact that Christine plays guitar just freaked me out! I'm curious, too, where this comes from. Looks lovely. And why didn't they do this song more often? It's just great with the three singers in line!!!

gerald

Old 05-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Until someone with more knowledge comes along, I can't give you anything but the link to this thread that we had a while ago. It discusses both Christine's multi-instrumentalism and the various states of the Tusk video material:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=11760

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 05-02-2004, 09:16 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Until someone with more knowledge comes along, I can't give you anything but the link to this thread that we had a while ago. It discusses both Christine's multi-instrumentalism and the various states of the Tusk video material:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=11760
thanks, yeah, i actually participated in that thread too. i was just thinking that maybe these videos were shot by the film company that filmed the St. Louis shows. I'm pretty sure it was done as a practice for the final piece. They couldn't just go in and film a regular concert without knowing the setlist and who to zoom in on at whatever point in the show etc...

additionally, there's a "Tusk" video on one of the tapes i have...it maybe Tusk Doc outtakes or something. anyway, there's a short clip of a filmed performance of the song that appears to be from the rehearsal as well.
You have to remember that the rehearsals mentioned above were videotaped. So, maybe there's an additional "filmed" rehearsal out there somewhere.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I also participated in that thread, too. I have the full length rehearsal shot at a distance & the Tusk outtakes video which has some more close-up rehearsal footage. I also just downloaded the Ledge video from Neil's site. The Ledge video is definitely different from the full length video. In the downloaded footage, Christine is wearing jeans. I don't think she's wearing jeans in the full length video, although it is shot so far away in the full length video that it's hard to tell. Also, in the full length video, Christine is playing guitar, but not singing. In the downloaded video, she is both singing & playing guitar. There has got to be another video out there. It could be from some of the footage in the Tusk outtakes video, although "The Ledge" is not on that video. By the way, "Save Me A Place" is another song where all 3 singers were out front singing. That's on both the full length video & the close-up footage from the Tusk outtakes video. I believe the full length video was shot before their tour ever started. Maybe this additional footage was shot at a rehearsal just prior to the St. Louis shows, which were filmed.

Last edited by macfan 57; 05-02-2004 at 11:01 AM..
Old 05-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, maybe there's an additional "filmed" rehearsal out there somewhere.
C'mon Mick, sell us some more stuff. I want to give you my money for this!
I really want to see all the Rumours stuff. And, is there any Welch era stuff?
Mick, I want to pay you for it all!
Old 05-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I also participated in that thread, too. I have the full length rehearsal shot at a distance & the Tusk outtakes video which has some more close-up rehearsal footage. I also just downloaded the Ledge video from Neil's site. The Ledge video is definitely different from the full length video. In the downloaded footage, Christine is wearing jeans. I don't think she's wearing jeans in the full length video, although it is shot so far away in the full length video that it's hard to tell. Also, in the full length video, Christine is playing guitar, but not singing. In the downloaded video, she is both singing & playing guitar. There has got to be another video out there. It could be from some of the footage in the Tusk outtakes video, although "The Ledge" is not on that video. By the way, "Save Me A Place" is another song where all 3 singers were out front singing. That's on both the full length video & the close-up footage from the Tusk outtakes video. I believe the full length video was shot before their tour ever started. Maybe this additional footage was shot at a rehearsal just prior to the St. Louis shows, which were filmed.
There are three filmed rehearsals that I know of: Oct. 18, 19 & 20. I think the latter two dates were dress rehearsals (with stage lighting, concert pacing & band mostly in costume). The 18th is the distant stationary camera, the 19th is multi-camera with closeups, medium shots & long shots, & the 20th seems to be mostly medium & closeups.

You've probably heard additional rehearsals on audio, like the Fire Power CD bootleg & the two CD-Rs that were originally sold by the Devilwoman Cult, Inc. Those were probably from earlier in October; the band rehearsed for four or six weeks, I think. It's mentioned in the "Five Not So Easy Pieces" article. (The CD-Rs contain a lot of tantalizing goodies, like "That's All for Everyone," "Honey Hi" & "Brown Eyes," which were dropped for the tour, & others, like "Think About Me," that were added only in the final month.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-02-2004, 01:40 PM
joe

of course now i had to drag out my copy and pop it in while i'm working on some graphic design homework. i haven't seen it in ages. it wasn't rewound and it started at the beginning of "sotm"....while they were improvising for a few minutes stevie says "well, lindsey's left....i'm going to have a drink...i'll be back." not less than 30 seconds pass and they started the song. none the less, she sounded a little loaded despite.

i love the banter during this tape. i have to deviate for a minute, there actually IS a medium shot in this tape. the camera zooms in on Chris during "songbird" for about a minute and then the whole show cuts out completely.

anyway, before "oh daddy", you can hear chris giggling, "so have you taken count?....who came in, how many people? how much you charging em on the way out? perhaps we should pay THEM." snicker snicker snicker....then, cause she's a class act, "thank you for coming, really."

or her response to stevie, "speak for yourself, i aint nervous...well, don't be nervous, you're only in front of fifty people!" love her one-liners.

then my tape sounds like someone from alvin and the chipmunks got in there for a few seconds, as some speeded-up portion of the audio is somehow mixed in with the regular conversations. got me....must've been during the tape dubbing (bootlegging) process....gotta love bootlegs.

Last edited by joe; 05-02-2004 at 02:44 PM..
Old 05-02-2004, 01:42 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
There are three filmed rehearsals that I know of: Oct. 18, 19 & 20. I think the latter two dates were dress rehearsals (with stage lighting, concert pacing & band mostly in costume). The 18th is the distant stationary camera, the 19th is multi-camera with closeups, medium shots & long shots, & the 20th seems to be mostly medium & closeups.

you are wealth of info! how do you know all this? did you hang out with them? c'mon, spill the beans! i'm beginning to save your posts for reference...hope you don't mind!

Old 05-02-2004, 01:55 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The 18th is the distant stationary camera, the 19th is multi-camera with closeups, medium shots & long shots, & the 20th seems to be mostly medium & closeups.
actually, on my tape which is the distant one, stevie says "you gotta realize this is our last show before we go on tour" then she goes on about being nervous etc etc.

you know, i guess it depends on what you call "distant", ms etc...i considered "distant" when the stage fills up the screen. ok, ok, so maybe i exagerrated in my original post a little...it was for comic relief. anyway, maybe this is considered ms. i just thought in a ms you can actually make out their faces and you wouldn't necessarily see the whole stage.

Last edited by joe; 05-02-2004 at 01:59 PM..
Old 05-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
actually, on my tape which is the distant one, stevie says "you gotta realize this is our last show before we go on tour" then she goes on about being nervous etc etc.
That's right, Joe, that's the Oct. 20 dress rehearsal. I think the following is the Oct. 20 set list:
Say You Love Me
The Chain
Oh Well
Dreams
Not That Funny
Rhiannon
Over & Over
The Ledge
Sara
What Makes You Think You're the One?
Save Me a Place
Landslide
Oh Daddy
Angel
You Make Loving Fun
I'm So Afraid
World Turning
Go Your Own Way
Tusk
Sisters of the Moon
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Songbird
I think the Oct. 18 video has this set list:
Say You Love Me
The Chain
Oh Well
Dreams
Not That Funny
Rhiannon
Over & Over
The Ledge
Sara
Save Me a Place
Landslide
Oh Daddy
Angel
You Make Loving Fun
I'm So Afraid
I'm So Afraid (2)
World Turning
Go Your Own Way
Tusk
Sisters of the Moon
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Songbird
And I think the Oct. 19 rehearsal has this set list:
Say You Love Me
The Chain
Oh Well
Dreams
Not That Funny
Rhiannon
Over & Over
The Ledge (currently featured on Neil's site)
Sara
Save Me a Place
Landslide
Oh Daddy
Angel
You Make Loving Fun
I'm So Afraid
World Turning
Go Your Own Way
Tusk
Sisters of the Moon
I Know I'm Not Wrong
I Know I'm Not Wrong (2)
Songbird
Usually, we have the fans to thank, especially the fans who dig up this stuff or trade for it with people around the world & then post this stuff on their Web sites -- people like Tiff at Blue White Fire (who is currently posting an amazing late Tusk Tour show, which no one seems to be talking about), Sara at the Underground, Neil at FM-UK, Daniel at SLN-Info, Les at Madness Fades, Nancy at BN & so many generous others. I have a feeling that these Tusk Tour videos will be posted on some of these sites at various points in the near future -- people love to share -- as well as a number of other goodies, including another Rumours Tour rehearsal featuring the group performing the old Sam Phillips classic "Mystery Train" as well as all those Say You Will shows from this spring & summer.

Thank your fellow fans, people. The "official" sites don't deserve your gratitude. They're so totally out of it that they don't even know what's in circulation -- all no thanks to them. The admins over at Mick Fleetwood's site are so totally removed from us that it appears to be some sort of joke, & the other official sites are equally remote.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 05-02-2004 at 04:30 PM..
Old 05-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks David for that information. I have a 2 CD set called Tusk Rehearsals which are definitely not from the final rehearsal(the full length video). They must be from either 10/18 or 10/19 or maybe even a combination of the two. It does have 2 versions of I Know I'm Not Wrong, so maybe they're just from 10/19. It does have Brown Eyes, That's All For Everyone & Never Going Back Again. I have no idea where they're from though.

I downloaded that Tusk Mobile, AL show. It's terrific!! I don't know if the person who posted that show reads this board, but Thank You!!!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Yeah...

there is quite a bit stuff out there from the Tusk tour era that is finally seeing the light of day (Some of the master reel stuff is quite amazing!) and it is being freely traded about.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."