Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
"
An appraisal of this track will feature prominently in my letter to Christine!
Be careful! She told (a fan I believe) that she didn't like the song, and said it doesn't go anywhere.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Ledgie

The rest of the band must have seen something in it. I can't believe they would have used it as just a filler track.

Although the lyric is important to the song, it's the arrangement and chord structure that makes it. This song really shines in that regard.

I can't believe she doesn't like it, but I too have written songs that I don't like that others have.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
Be careful! She told (a fan I believe) that she didn't like the song, and said it doesn't go anywhere.
That almost doesn't surprise me. It's not typically "Christine"... but perhaps that's one of the reasons I like it so much. It's not wrought in a perfectly conceived pop song mould. When I first bought Tusk, I didn't think the song really went anywhere either, and found it dull. It's so strange how discovering that 3-note progression in the background of the chorus totally changed this song for me. It was no longer boring, wandering, or too simple. The song had the perfect counter point. And that's all I needed to fall in love with it.

Interestingly enough, even Lindsey seemed to even dismiss this song in an interview earlier this year. But then again, I do find most of the songs the band members chose as their favorite by the other writers to be a bit odd. For instance, Stevie's favorite Lindsey song is "Stephanie"... seriously, WTF?
Old 12-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Ledgie

In the '80's, I didn't think a lot on the Tusk album was radio playable. I heard several though, but never did hear Brown Eyes.

The way she plays the progression of the Bm7 and A with her keyboard work and John's bass and Mick's drums, make this an outstanding addition, but I don't think it was fully appeciated back then. I haven't fogotten Lindsey either. The Roland Space Echo 201 that was used on this sounded very good with his part.

The G in the chorus helps to resolve to the tonic of the verse.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
For instance, Stevie's favorite Lindsey song is "Stephanie"... seriously, WTF?
And you're surprised by this because....?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
Well, Christine's wrong, isn't she? And people like being told they're wrong, right?
I'm also mentioning "Little Lies" in the letter (see why in my Songs That Give You Nostalgia thread), which she may not like either, considering how much FM ignores Mirage and TITN in their tours...
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
And you're surprised by this because....?
Seriously! Besides, it probably brings back a specific memory...
Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Merry Christmas everyone. Glad to be here.
Thanks, Michael, & welcome to the Ledge!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Interestingly enough, even Lindsey seemed to even dismiss this song in an interview earlier this year. But then again, I do find most of the songs the band members chose as their favorite by the other writers to be a bit odd. For instance, Stevie's favorite Lindsey song is "Stephanie"... seriously, WTF?

It sounded to me like Stevie was searching for a song of Lindsey's to name and she just thought about that one by default, 'cause it had a nice title, if nothing else. I never thought she really liked Stephanie particularly as a song. I know she once said she wouldn't have been with him all those years if she didn't like his music and he had beautiful instrumentals to which she loved to perform her ballet moves. Still, I just get the impression that while she may like passages of his music, his words and vocals just don't do that much for her. So, when she said he had that beautiful solo on Frozen Love, I think she meant it and was proud of it, but I think once he starts singing on a song, it ruins it for her somehow or she closes her mind to it.

I mean even when she said she liked Walk a Thin Line, the best thing she could think to say about it was that it was slow. I think she's just kind of immune to his songs.

Michele
Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Ledgie

Thank you David.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Senior Ledgie

I love Brown Eyes! I rekindled this love about seven years ago when I bought a subwoofer for my home stereo. John's bass part is amazing!
Old 12-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I mean even when she said she liked Walk a Thin Line, the best thing she could think to say about it was that it was slow. I think she's just kind of immune to his songs.
Which interview was it in which she was asked what she thought about "Law & Order"? She said, as politely as possible, that there were some beautiful things on it, & there were some things that weren't really to her taste. My mind immediately filled in with the respective song titles.

She beat a hasty retreat by adding that she hoped that his album sold a bunch of copies, because a "happy Lindsey makes for a happy Stevie," or something to that effect.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
It sounded to me like Stevie was searching for a song of Lindsey's to name and she just thought about that one by default, 'cause it had a nice title, if nothing else. I never thought she really liked Stephanie particularly as a song. I know she once said she wouldn't have been with him all those years if she didn't like his music and he had beautiful instrumentals to which she loved to perform her ballet moves. Still, I just get the impression that while she may like passages of his music, his words and vocals just don't do that much for her. So, when she said he had that beautiful solo on Frozen Love, I think she meant it and was proud of it, but I think once he starts singing on a song, it ruins it for her somehow or she closes her mind to it.

Michele
It seemed to me that she really thought about her answer in that interview, Michele. I think the video was edited right after she said, "this is tough" and she sounded to be taking it very serious and not being flip about it.

Also, I don't know if she's as "immune" as she is too close to respond objectively...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Which interview was it in which she was asked what she thought about "Law & Order"? She said, as politely as possible, that there were some beautiful things on it, & there were some things that weren't really to her taste. My mind immediately filled in with the respective song titles.

She beat a hasty retreat by adding that she hoped that his album sold a bunch of copies, because a "happy Lindsey makes for a happy Stevie," or something to that effect.
LOL. I had forgotten that interview.

Last edited by CADreaming; 12-27-2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: rewording
Old 12-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yeah, here's she's talking about it.

Quote:
[W]hen Trouble came out, I was saying, let it go straight to the top. Because it only makes my life easier when Lindsey is happy. 'Cause when Lindsey is happy, he's really in a good humor and he's wonderful and he and I really get along and we're close. For me, when you love somebody, you want them to be the best.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
It seemed to me that she really thought about her answer in that interview, Michele. I think the video was edited right after she said, "this is tough" and she sounded to be taking it very serious and not being flip about it.

Also, I don't know if she's as "immune" as she is too close to respond objectively...
It seemed to me that she was struggling to think of a song. I agree with you on one point. But that's why I think she is immune to his music: because she's too close to it and to his style to hear it objectively. I think he has some songs that, if she heard them on the radio by another artist she would like and if she heard them on the radio by Tom Petty she would love. But because it's Lindsey she doesn't hear them in the same way and doesn't interpret his lyrics as another listener would.

His songs impact her, but I don't think they actually touch her as music. I think she only hears his music as such when it is just music, no words.

Michele