User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article on Judith Owen]

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/what-s-o...t-it-1-6619058

The result was the critically acclaimed album – her 10th – Ebb and Flow, which she recorded with a band of musicians who were intergral to the original LA Laurel Canyon scene in the ’70s and are joining her on tour, bassist Leland Sklar, guitarist Waddy Wachtel, and drummer Russell Kunkel.

As soon as Judith starts speaking about her band, the enthusiasm is clear.

‘They’re the originals,’ she says. ‘They are still monster session guys and live players,

‘Russ is pretty much on the road all the time with Lyle Lovett, Lee Sklar plays all the time, he never stops making records, and Waddy has been in the studio with Stevie Nicks, and does an awful lot of film music.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:30 AM

Lib at Large: Larkspur poet finds belated success with provocative ‘Transient Sex’

Larkspur resident Brent Reiten says he was stunned when his book of poetry, “Transient Sex,” failed to sell when he self-published it in 1989. “I was totally humiliated, perplexed, and finally, I just gave up,” he says. (Alan Dep/Marin Independent Journal)
By Paul Liberatore, Marin Independent Journal

A copy of “Transient Sex,” Brent Reiten’s book of poetry, rests on the writer’s kitchen table Thursday in Larkspur. After decades of obscurity, the book is getting interest from publishers in several countries. (Alan Dep/Marin Independent Journal)
Sex sells. Just not always right away.

A case in point: In 1989, Brent Reiten, a Marin County house painter with poetic ambitions, wrote and self-published “Transient Sex,” a collection of poems about his libidinous fantasy trysts with famous people, women and men — “Sex with Stevie Nicks,” “Sex with Meryl Streep,” “Sex with George Bush,” “Sex with Sylvester Stallone.” You get the idea.

http://www.marinij.com/arts-and-ente...-transient-sex
Old 03-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Junior Ledgie

Wowzers! Anybody read it?
Old 03-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

dinnerdate with Beth Carpenter ; Former student at Nottingham Trent, Lives in Gloucester [Edition 3]
March 14 (Gloucestershire Echo, The) -- Kurt Cobain He's incredibly misunderstood but was a deep thinker and definitely someone who could hold an amazing conversation about everything other than conventional dinner-talktopics, like the weather. We would then act out the beginning scene from film True Romance and part our separate ways.

Heston Blumenthal If I didn't have a chef I'd be silly, right? If I did, I could just go and have a few drinks with the other guests and not worry about food. This chef's food is amazing and he comes up with such quirky things. Emily Blunt, actress The woman is a God.

She's quintessentially British and every good dinner party needs a larger than life Brit to keep it going and keep it sane. Plus, she has also lined up with stars like Tom Cruise and Joseph Gordon- Levitt so I would want to get all the dirt on them. Stevie Nicks I love Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac. If I could meet her or let alone cook her dinner, my life would be made. Plus with the whole host of musical guests I would invite, we could form a super group. Jim Morrison I've always admiredhim but we all know he could go off the rails a bit, so if he didn't do anything too drastic, he would be a perfect guest. He is one of my musical favourites and is a legend.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[this is about the Australia dates, but I put it here because of the mention of Stevie in the Ted Talk]

Pedestrian TV by Angela

http://www.pedestrian.tv/news/music/...568d973295.htm

"Just be Stevie Nicks," veritable voice of our generation Tavi Gevinson once told us in her groundbreaking TED talk. It's advice I've been taking to heart ever since, however fruitless it may be in a literal sense. Just be Stevie Nicks.

Being Stevie Nicks might become a little more naturally after seeing her belt it out in the flesh, something that you can and should do later this year: Fleetwood Mac have announced their 2015 tour Down Under.

*heavy breathing intensifies*

FM stalwarts have reunited for the tour, as Christine McVie is back on board: the Australian tour will see Stevie Nicks, Lindsay Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie and John McVie tour a string of capital city and regional dates across the country in October-November. Christine McVie broke her long Fleetwood Mac hiatus last year, after leaving the band in 1998.

You and your parents, for once, are both equally keen about something. Dates for Fleetwood Mac's tour are below; tickets are on sale on April 1. SA, NT, Tassie and ACT, always the bridesmaids, will have to go their own way in October to a more blessed capital city, as all miss out:
Old 03-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an interview with Wynona Judd at SXSW]

Austin 360 music blog

http://music.blog.austin360.com/2015...and-taco-bell/

“Night before last, I watched Stevie Nicks, for two hours, spin,” Judd said. The reflection on another iconic musician brought Judd to wanting to become “better and bitter” as her career moves forward. She mused on country queen Tammy Wynette being a “stylist” and not just a singer, noting that there’s magic in being an artist who’s recognizable from the first seconds of a song. Judd’s also got love for another big star, and it’s the stuff buddy-cop comedies are made of.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from a Slate article about RuPaul 3/24/2015 By J. Bryan Lowder

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...ueen_star.html

Save for a smart interviewing gambit involving a discussion of each of Ru’s self-stated influences that went into her drag persona, the rest of the interview took on the rather unexpected and delightfully strange hue of a philosophical disquisition on the nature of performance and reality. Ru spent most of the two hours waxing New Agey on how life is about figuring out how to play within false constructs (like, say, an NYPL interview) and how “if there are people who are judging you, go to another play.” Holdengräber tried to keep up by offering quotations and references like a grad student at a dinner party. There were moments when it seemed like the delicate and vaguely surrealist balance the two had managed to strike might dissolve into legitimate misunderstanding, but all in all, the audience ate it up, not least because Ru was prone to summarizing her musings on choosing your own adventure with ejaculations like: “You’re a witch! Stevie Nicks!”
Old 03-31-2015, 08:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Tonight on Bill O'Reilly's Fox News show, a segment on Stevie and her USO award was shown. He showed a clip of gold dust woman from sound stage and an interview clip from the award show. He mentioned that he has seen her/FWM several times and she is a huge talent in rock music.
I remember back when In Your Dreams came out he talked about her new album and the song soldiers angel.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

It's a fleetwood mac night on axs tv! Rock legends featuring the band was just on

Now it's a show called the world's greatest tribute bands. The band is called Mirage. The Stevie nicks looks just like her!! The clothes and the ways she moves is unbelievable! She says the same things Stevie says. Her voice ain't too great though. The Christine of the band is pretty and sounds decent. The Lindsey of the band is hot!! Looks nothing like the real Lindsey, but I'll take him, yes please! I'm gonna try to be a groupie for a tribute band, what a looser. But out of the three singers, his voice is more like the real counter part.

After the tribute band Live in Boston is up next.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from an interview with Jessie Baylin]

Huffington Post by Michael Bialas 4/3/2015

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae...b_6999988.html

Kid and Playful: Jessie Baylin Steps Out of Her Dark Shadow

Yet while exploring your inner child, you can dance to this mood-swinging album while listening to Baylin's luscious voice that adopts the qualities of some of her favorite singers -- Astrud Gilberto, Billie Holiday, Dusty Springfield and Stevie Nicks.

"I loved how Stevie created a world," Baylin said. "I thought that was always neat for my voice. I loved Astrud Gilberto melodies and just where her voice sat in the songs, just always ... it takes you away. It's like listening ... it's instant vacation. And I just loved that as a kid. I felt exotic. And I hope on this record in particular that I could bring some of those elements in."
Old 04-18-2015, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a humorous article about the secret treasures in the rock hall of fame]

Cleveland Scene, April 17, 2015 by Peter Relic

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-...ious-treasures

From shelf to shelf I worked methodically until, at the end of an aisle, I found an alcove containing a soldered **** ruby-inlaid silver box maked Syd Barrett's Sanity. From there, things grew increasingly ghoulish. A stanchion from the toppled lighting rig that crushed Curtis Mayfield's legs. An airtight plastic tub labeled Contents of D.Boon's Fridge at Time of Death. The eroded septum of Stevie Nicks, carefully wrapped in a lace glove and packed in a rusty snuff tin. David Crosby's liver, imprisoned in a translucent cube of amber like some sort of Damien Hirst wet dream.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thirteen must-have songs on your ‘Freaks and Geeks’ playlist

ByPamela Gocobachi 2:30 pm, April 22, 2015 Hypable

http://www.hypable.com/freaks-and-geeks-playlist/

10. ‘Rhiannon’ – Fleetwood Mac

Why we picked it: One of our favorite relationships to see unfold throughout the series is the friendship between Lindsay and the prickly Kim Kelly. One of our favorite scenes between the two takes place during the beginnings of their friendship when Kim starts explaining the rumors surrounding Stevie Nicks allegedly being a witch to Lindsay and so we couldn’t resist putting a Stevie song amongst this list. We may have stretched it with this Fleetwood Mac track, but we’re going with it because like Kim’s theory, this song also has a partial reference to a witch. But bottom line? It is also an amazing track so it had to be included on our playlist.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Looks like some lucky winner won a 24 Karat test pressing on Record Store Day

Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Music Mic article "What Happened to the Female Rock Star"

[Stevie's Photo is at the top of the article, with Debbie Harry]

By Kate BeaudoinApril 24, 2015

http://mic.com/articles/116246/what-...male-rock-star

Stevie Nicks: The legend from Fleetwood Mac is a rock star, because she's always been ruthlessly honest and fearless. The first time she picked up a guitar and wrote a song, it was about heartbreak, and when she wrote for Fleetwood Mac, many of those songs were about her doomed relationship with guitarist Lindsey Buckingham. But through all the struggle, Nicks was sexy and sophisticated, and strove for equality by embodying the equal.

"We fought very hard for feminism, for women's rights," Nicks told a crowd at South by Southwest in 2013, according to Rolling Stone. "What I'm seeing today is a very opposite thing. I don't know why, but I see women being put back in their place. And I hate it. We're losing all we worked so hard for, and it really bums me out."

Nicks completely owned her femininity and her vulnerability, all while proving that she could hold her own as a creative contributor to a high-powered popular band. She completely disproved the "man behind the music" myth.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[excerpt from an article on Taylor Momsen]

People Magazine May 6, 2015 Jeff Nelson
http://www.people.com/article/taylor...rd-gossip-girl

The singer – easily recognizable with her heavy eye makeup and gothy-schoolgirl style – just broke a Billboard record, beating out Stevie Nicks, The Pretenders and Halestorm to become the first woman to land three consecutive No. 1s on the Mainstream Rock chart.