User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Well the demo was made about forty years ago. Of course she can't replicate that voice. Age may limit certain abilities, but it doesn't limit creativity. Stevie's latest album proves that. She has the capabilities to reinvent any song. If the demo was never heard, there would be no comparison, The "new" song would just be judged on its own merits.

While I love the that she revisited old songs lingering in her vault, and resurrected them in the present day, I am dismayed by the criticism that stems from her age. She's doing the best that she can, and she's still a viable artist, Wisdom comes with age. And that seasoned wisdom often holds more value and power than just vocal range. I try reserve too much judgement and be grateful just for the fact that she is alive, well, and keeps doing what she does.

Just my humble opinion.
I agree if the demo was never heard we'd never know. But we have heard it. And she knows we have.

I have no doubt she could find a way to reinvent the song with Dave or whomever. But the magic of that vocal won't be there,for me. Will it be replaced by something just as magical? I would hope so, but since her voice has changed so much in the intervening time, for me it would probably not be the same, though with a full arrangement around it it could be very cool. It is what it is.

Who's picking on her for her age? I've certainly never said she's old or washed up or whatever. I've only pointed out that her voice has inevitably changed a lot with age, and that this makes it difficult for her to perform a lot of her songs the way she used to, and this can change how some people feel about her performances of those songs.

Like most fans, I'll be buying whatever she puts out until she stops putting any music out, new or old.

But some of the demo vocals (just like her vocals on Rumours) can't be matched by her today. I'm just glad they were captured in some form at that time.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

Like most fans, I'll be buying whatever she puts out until she stops putting any music out, new or old. But some of the demo vocals (just like her vocals on Rumours) can't be matched by her today. I'm just glad they were captured in some form at that time.
I really appreciate your thoughtful response.

I realize that it's unavoidable to not compare her vocal abilities of yesteryear to her abilities in her present state. It just proves that Stevie is mortal like the rest of us! It's similar to looking at old photos of ourselves in our youth and seeing the startling change that age brings.

Though we lose our youth, we gain so much in the process. It's inevitably that no one can match the capabilities they once had. So I'm more sensitive about not always making those comparisons, as it seems to denigrate what she is still able to do. Is it possible to appreciate both sides?

I have gratitude that she is still a workhorse, still relevant, still staying true to who she has always been. That means more than the loss of vocal range. Over all, she has fared very well with the voice she has.

Consider Joni Mitchell. In her heyday, she an stunning vocal range. As an unapologetic, lifelong smoker, she has lost almost all of her signature range, On her latter day albums her voice has very little of the character that she is generally known for.

On the other hand, Stevie has managed to maintain the character of her voice. Throughout her entire career, she has had issues with her voice. And in live performance she often avoided the high notes she achieved on record. In the last decade or more, I think her vocals have been more consistent and controlled than in any other era.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

Though we lose our youth, we gain so much in the process.

I have gratitude that she is still a workhorse, still relevant, still staying true to who she has always been. That means more than the loss of vocal range. Over all, she has fared very well with the voice she has.
this is why it would be so great if she would write a book! I think she has so much to teach a lot of these younger performers today about how to build a career and an image that will withstand the test of time.

I agree with you that over time her voice inevitably changed and can't be what it once was. She has said she loves the sound of her voice and loves that she sounds like no one else. I agree. It's the voice and it's the songs themselves. Her fierce commitment to being a songwriter is really to me what was the true foundation to her longevity, even more than her voice. Singers go in and out of fashion but the way she expresses herself in her songs and the deep meaning of those words to so many people is her real magic.

So I'll wait with you to see what she puts out on future albums and will be happy to judge new recordings on their own merits. while still enjoying the gloriousness of her voice on the demos. It's nice to have both!
Old 03-23-2015, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
this is why it would be so great if she would write a book! I think she has so much to teach a lot of these younger performers today about how to build a career and an image that will withstand the test of time.

If Stevie write a book of any kind, she really needs a professional co-writer/editor to smooth out the quirks of her communication skills. Sure, she can be funny and ramble on, but she need someone to articulate her thoughts in a cohesive narrative. She's more ephemeral than literal.

Her career was established in a very different era. The music business has drastically changed since the advent of technology and social media. Whatever advice and wisdom Stevie has to give to fledgling artists is in the realm of style,image, attitude and emotion. But she's no maven of business and marketing. Her lack of social media experience leaves her ill-equipped to teach the modern day marketing skills of building a career.

Actually, the current generation is very savvy in utilizing social media to their advantage.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-23-2015 at 03:08 AM..
Old 07-28-2015, 07:01 AM
Registered

Default Let's Start Some News!!

Stevie

A photo posted by dave stewart (@davestewarteurythmics) on

Dave Stewart posted a picture of Stevie 2 days ago. For no reason? I don't think so...
Old 07-28-2015, 07:08 AM
Registered

On July 25, 2015 he retweeted this.

On July 23, 2015 he retweeted this.

On July 23, 2015 he retweeted this

Last edited by welcomechris; 07-28-2015 at 07:10 AM..
Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Like most fans, I'll be buying whatever she puts out until she stops putting any music out, new or old.
Me to!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe Stevie and Dave are cowriting things for the FM album, or doing demos for it.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Maybe Stevie and Dave are cowriting things for the FM album, or doing demos for it.

I can only hope thats what's going on.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

...or maybe NOTHING is going on right now and he's just tweeting and retweeting pictures of his good friend Stevie, the way he tweets and retweets pics of Annie and his other musician friends?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
She has said she loves the sound of her voice and loves that she sounds like no one else. I agree.
Didn't she say she sounded like a "little gnome"?