The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac - best album (a poll)

This site has a poll of which is the best FM album and then a ton of reader comments on the subject. Check it out.

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...threadid=57480
Old 06-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Drum and Drumming News: Six Big Names Join DW's Artist Family
By The Drum Experts
In addition to such names as Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac), Max Weinberg (Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band), Aaron Spears (Usher), Alex Gonzalez (Mana) and Neil Peart (Rush), DW's family of artists now ...
Drum and Drumming News - http://drummingnews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
This site has a poll of which is the best FM album and then a ton of reader comments on the subject. Check it out.

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...threadid=57480
Really wasn't quite expecting Rumours and Tusk to be tied in this poll.

BTW, viv, I like today's siggy. Who drew that pic?

You can add me on Facebook
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
BTW, viv, I like today's siggy. Who drew that pic?
I can't remember, but another Ledgie posted it about a month ago.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://cgi.ebay.com/Christine-McVie-...item19bcf58d4a
Old 06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hot young stars lead the way at CMT Music Awards « Artesia News
By admin
Kid Rock smoked a cigar on stage and told a few bawdy jokes, including one aimed at Lady A, “the hillbilly Fleetwood Mac.” “But I don't suspect they do drugs or sleep with each other,” he said. Lady A was one of four hot young acts who ...
Artesia News - http://www.artesianews.com/
Old 06-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://hypem.com/track/1134432/The+M...wood+Mac+Cover)

The Morning Benders - Dreams (Fleetwood Mac Cover) / MP3 & Music ...
Listen to The Morning Benders - Dreams (Fleetwood Mac Cover) blogged at Modern Mystery / The Hype Machine.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

TRUE MEMORABILIA! - $800 (Pacoima Ca.)

This is a definitive Fleetwood Mac collector item for any rock historian, fan or memorabilia collector.Or maybe just a fellow musician.

Originally owned my Mick Fleetwood, I bought this in 95.When the band was broken up and 10 years after Mick went bankrupt liquidating all his stuff. Case measures 3ft x 7ft round, It's complete with wheels and the speaker that came with it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...787323896.html
Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon Presents New Artwork

At 57, Kim Gordon continues to thrive with her status as one of America's coolest moms. Seriously, she has all kind of cool points going for her, including her trendsetting clothing line, Mirror/Dash, her various visual and video art performances, and her work in the alternative-noise band, Sonic Youth.

Now, she has another art-related project in the works. In a flush of her trademark experimentalism, she's taken the lyric, “She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness,” from Fleetwood Mac's “Rhiannon,” and created a complete series of 14 paintings, each containing one word from the lyric. These basic paintings are then transferred from canvas to a kind of grungy, grimy photo-copy and then put to portfolio.

Why? Well, you'd have to ask the artist herself, like all the work she does, it isn't exactly made with the audiences in mind. Gordon has always had a deep fascination and love for the visual side of the arts; she not only creates it but critiques as well. There hasn't been a lot of information on this project, but what little there is sounds very interesting.

http://cdinsight.com/news.php?readmore=5117
Old 06-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Billboard: Obviously not all the songs were originally written as duets, or with typical instrumentation. What was one of your biggest interpretation challenges?

Hammel: I think the weirdest one was the Fleetwood Mac song (“Second Hand News“). We started the song with like a stoner reggae beat, and we thought, “This is either really terrible or really good.” Also, I think it might be the first Fleetwood Mac song a lot of people ever heard, as the first song on “Rumours.” So we thought people might hate this one, but decided we didn’t care. If people have to be stoned to enjoy this one, so be it.

http://wotshotrightnow.com/indie-duo...their-crushes/
Old 06-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Billboard: Obviously not all the songs were originally written as duets, or with typical instrumentation. What was one of your biggest interpretation challenges?

Hammel: I think the weirdest one was the Fleetwood Mac song (“Second Hand News“). We started the song with like a stoner reggae beat, and we thought, “This is either really terrible or really good.” Also, I think it might be the first Fleetwood Mac song a lot of people ever heard, as the first song on “Rumours.” So we thought people might hate this one, but decided we didn’t care. If people have to be stoned to enjoy this one, so be it.

http://wotshotrightnow.com/indie-duo...their-crushes/
Indie duo Mates reveal their “Crushes” | New Music Reviews - Home ...
By Willis
The album, to be released Tuesday (June 15) on Barsuk, was recorded at their home in Stratford, Connecticut, and includes the band's take on songs by Girls, Belle & Sebastian, Tom Waits, Nick Cave and Fleetwood Mac. ...
New Music Reviews - Home of DJ... - http://newmusicreviews.net/
Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Damn You Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham!

I blame you for my warped view of love!

You've doomed me to believe that I'll never know what real love is unless I have the urge to write 150 songs about some dude involving the words "angel", "destiny", "or crystal-something". Of course he would have to write angry, less poetic, monosyllable songs attacking my character and talent. I would have to wear layers of billowy chiffon and a hairstyle that looks like a goose down pillow exploded on my head; he would have to have a huge 70's white man 'fro, wear chest hair embellishing v-necks with gold chains, and platform shoes though he's already six feet tall. He would have to play the guitar with no pic and glare at me onstage when a lyric referred to me. I would twirl around a lot. We'd go do a line of coke, then go **** backstage.

Yeah, that's real love.

Fleetwood Mac's reunion live show, "The Dance", premiered when I was fourteen years old. I don't recall listening to Fleetwood Mac before then but became transfixed when I saw the music video for the concert's "Silver Springs" on VH1's Top Twenty (I miss you late 90's VH1!). I saw this woman singing passionately about love and heartbreak and halfway through the set, turn towards the guitarist next to her and start screaming, "I'll follow you down 'til the sound of my voice will haunt you! You'll never get away from the sound of the woman that loved you!" Why was she yelling at this man? But more importantly, why did I find that man dashingly attractive when he's older than my Dad and I'm fourteen years old?

After that day, I went out and bought every Fleetwood Mac CD I could that would explain the story on why this woman hated this man so much. What I got was an overwhelming soap opera of sex, drugs, loneliness, and confusion. I WANTED IN!

I wanted to wrap myself around someone's dreams, take a silver spoon and dig my grave, ring like a bell through the night, and see my reflection in the snow covered hills. I wanted to feel like those people did and I still do.

In my weak attempt to find my Silver Springs in the past, I probably created unnecessary drama just so I could feel something.
Something I could take home and write about at the end of the day.
So my apologies to the couple of people long ago that I brought into my imaginary Fleetwood Mac melodrama in my head.
You wouldn't have looked good in a WMA (White Man's Afro) or silk v-neck shirts anyways.

Posted by Hipstercrite at 6:36 AM
7 comments:
Melanie's Randomness said...
Fleetwood Mac songs have so much raw meaning that its unbelievable. Such a great post girl. Yeah that love mess between the two of them is epic. But I think its real. They have felt something...I too one day want to know that. She must love him cuz yeah your right she basically is screaming at him, but it makes one hell of a song. They really do rock on a whole different level!!

7:35 AM
Polly Syllabick said...
I miss late 90s VH1 so much my teeth hurt.

And apparently I have been trying to make my life a disastrous, goose-wearing, lyric-yelling, polyamorous Fleetwood Mac song for nearly a decade now. Thank you for helping me see the forest through the non-medicinal trees.

7:58 AM
Writing Womb said...
sadly, i have never knowingly listened to a stevie nicks song...but this post makes me want to listen ...cause I need to be reminded about drama...i have no drama in my life presently, but it's nice to live through it vicariously through anothers eyes!better than nothing!

9:45 AM
Hipstercrite said...
@Melanie- The interesting thing about Fleetwood Mac is that though Stevie and Lindsey's relationship ended decades ago, they were never fully able to move on because they had to see each other all the time, in very emotionally and physically straining situations (writing music, recording music, touring). Can you imagine seeing your ex ALL THE TIME like that?

@Polly- I miss it so much too.
And I'm kind of jealous of your life.

@Writing Womb- Solo Stevie NIcks is very different from Fleetwood Mac Stevie Nicks. I would start with Fleetwood Mac Stevie NIcks, then go to her solo. Her stuff is more interesting with FM because she had to deal with Lindsey (then Mick) all the time.

10:03 AM
WILDasaMINK said...
I think you should completely dive right back into that Fleetwood Mac melodrama you were living in. Ahhh Stevie...impressive style! This post is just one more reason I think you're so cool...just FYI, I think you're cool.
Anyway...so if you miss NY and the good ol' days of childhood visits to the Poconos, may I suggest you take a little visit over this way? You still have family in NY right-you're mom and grandmother??? or am I way off on that? All I'm hinting at is that you could swing thru NYC really

10:44 AM
Kristen said...
love this post... Fleetwood Mac was the first concert I ever went to at age 11 (it was the chain reunion tour) and I LOVED them. Then, it wasn't "cool" to like them in middle school, or whatever, so I took a break from them, tossing my concert tee way in the back of my childhood dresser.

You can imagine how happy I was when I when I found that in 2006 and realized it still fit.

10:52 AM
Jo said...
Unfortunately, I screwed up too many relationships with my seemingly effortless drama. And now I can blame my parents for bringing me up on Fleetwood Mac.
To be fair, she had a guy's name and he had a girl's name - the lines were blurry from the start.

http://hipstercrite.blogspot.com/
Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://popdose.com/book-review-pat-b...-a-rock-place/

Book Review: Pat Benatar, "Between A Heart And A Rock Place" | Popdose
By Matt Wardlaw
Producer Keith Olsen (Fleetwood Mac, Ozzy Osbourne, Rick Springfield) might have had his name on some of Benatar's most famous albums, but according to Benatar, he was barely a part of the process, with Giraldo doing the lion's share of ...
Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

June 16, 2010
Guess Who's Still Alive?
Yup, that'd be me. I have ideas scribbled in notebooks, on Post-its, in my email Drafts folder (technically not scribbled, I know), in random places in crossword-puzzle books. And yet I never seem to get around to formulating them into something readable. Erf.

I have genuinely missed writing about music and have been crafting rants, raves, blog posts and other musicabilianess here and there.

One idea that has floated round my brain for years is a series I'll call SIFA, or Songs I'd Forgotten About (but have recently rediscovered and still love). A few gems:

1. "Sara" and "Hold Me" - Fleetwood Mac

Easily tied for my favorite Mac songs. I hadn't heard either in years till one recent day, "Sara" came on the radio and I fell in love all over again. Anyone who knows me knows I'm an unabashed, lifelong lover of radio. When I was a child, my family and I flew between New York and L.A. almost every year. As soon as I was strapped into my seat, I'd hungrily rip the plastic off those (free!) plastic headphones, plug 'em into my armrest and spend the entire flight surfing the radio channels. Certain songs never fail to remind me of those flights: "Sara" is absolutely one of them, others include Prince's "I Wanna Be Your Lover," the Eagles' "I Can't Tell You Why" and Diana Ross's "Theme from Mahogany."

But back to Fleetwood Mac. I could listen to "Hold Me" ten times in a row without tiring of it--it's one of those truly masterful pop songs. It easily transports me back to the summer of 1982, when I was 10: Mirage was one of my first LP purchases and "Hold Me" was in heavy rotation on MTV, feeding my Lindsey Buckingham crush.

2. "Tusk" - Fleetwood Mac

I rediscovered this--plus a few other Fleetwood Mac goodies--when I went to download "Sara." Fleetwood Mac certainly doesn't rank in my top 10 or even top 20 favorite bands (they might make the top 25 if I forgive them for "Oh Well"), but I've always admired their songwriting, harmonizing and musicianship. They're solid. Plus, since watching a VH-1 "Behind the Music" special on Stevie Nicks about a decade ago, I can't forget the sheer volume of songs that have poured out of this woman. We're talking HUNDREDS. Look up "prolific" in the dictionary and there's a photo of her, in all her billowing glory.

3. "I've Been Losing You" - a-Ha

I almost hate to get off the Fleetwood Mac track, but I've been listening to this song quite a bit lately and I appreciate it far more than I did when I first heard a-Ha in the 80s. Like every other giddy teen, I adored "Take on Me,"

http://www.ayeletlikeitis.com/archives/000537.html
Old 06-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Damn You Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham!

I blame you for my warped view of love!

You've doomed me to believe that I'll never know what real love is unless I have the urge to write 150 songs about some dude involving the words "angel", "destiny", "or crystal-something". Of course he would have to write angry, less poetic, monosyllable songs attacking my character and talent. I would have to wear layers of billowy chiffon and a hairstyle that looks like a goose down pillow exploded on my head; he would have to have a huge 70's white man 'fro, wear chest hair embellishing v-necks with gold chains, and platform shoes though he's already six feet tall. He would have to play the guitar with no pic and glare at me onstage when a lyric referred to me. I would twirl around a lot. We'd go do a line of coke, then go **** backstage.

Yeah, that's real love.

Fleetwood Mac's reunion live show, "The Dance", premiered when I was fourteen years old. I don't recall listening to Fleetwood Mac before then but became transfixed when I saw the music video for the concert's "Silver Springs" on VH1's Top Twenty (I miss you late 90's VH1!). I saw this woman singing passionately about love and heartbreak and halfway through the set, turn towards the guitarist next to her and start screaming, "I'll follow you down 'til the sound of my voice will haunt you! You'll never get away from the sound of the woman that loved you!" Why was she yelling at this man? But more importantly, why did I find that man dashingly attractive when he's older than my Dad and I'm fourteen years old?

After that day, I went out and bought every Fleetwood Mac CD I could that would explain the story on why this woman hated this man so much. What I got was an overwhelming soap opera of sex, drugs, loneliness, and confusion. I WANTED IN!

I wanted to wrap myself around someone's dreams, take a silver spoon and dig my grave, ring like a bell through the night, and see my reflection in the snow covered hills. I wanted to feel like those people did and I still do.

In my weak attempt to find my Silver Springs in the past, I probably created unnecessary drama just so I could feel something.
Something I could take home and write about at the end of the day.
So my apologies to the couple of people long ago that I brought into my imaginary Fleetwood Mac melodrama in my head.
You wouldn't have looked good in a WMA (White Man's Afro) or silk v-neck shirts anyways.

Brilliant! I love this!