The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Great thread.....I love Stevie and all her faults, but here are a few of my unpopular opinions:

1. Stevie is good songwriter, but she has "borrowed" many of her best lines from the poetry and prose of other people—without giving proper credit.

2. Stevie isn't that great live anymore. Everything is choreographed. No spontaneity. Same setlist year after year. Boring.

3. Stevie isn't the Queen of Rock. That title belongs to Joan Jett. She may not share Stevie's popularity, but she's a better performer and she truly lives and breathes rock 'n' roll. Just watch her recent induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

4. Stevie hasn't written a truly great song since "Wild Heart."

5. Stevie is prone to exaggeration. What would be considered normal, minor pain and discomfort for us regular folks is seen as traumatic and earth-shattering in Stevie's world.

6. Dave Stewart coddles Stevie too much and has fostered and encouraged her lazy songwriting in recent years.

Yikes! I feel horrible even writing these things....But there it is.....
Old 07-01-2015, 12:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Iwouldn't be surprised if she hooked up with John.
I think she did. Post Mick/Sara affair. I sense her and John very touchy in say the Tusk photo shoot/ Tusk recording sessions.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Her music videos for IYD seemed incredibly lazy, especially the one for Moonlight.
2. I don't understand WHY she is friends with some of the newer singers that she's friends with. (Perry, Gaga, etc)
3. I don't think her mentoring advice on the Voice was all that good.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love "Sister Honey", "Desert Angel" and "Whole Lotta Trouble."

I have no real interest in seeing Stevie or the Mac again live.

I never listen to "In Your Dreams" and "24 KG"

I love Louise Goffin's version of "If You Ever Did Believe." The Jimmy Iovine produced track is leaps and bounds better than Stevie's 98 recording.

Bella Donna is overrated. Good album but it ranks #4 for me with WH, RAL and OSOTM taking the top 3 spots.

Lindsay Lohan. Yes, she needs to get her act together but there was a long time Stevie didn't have her act together either so it bothered me to hear Stevie talk about her the way she did.

Last edited by Travis; 07-01-2015 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love IYD, but I feel it might have been a fluke after 24KG. That album is sloppy, poorly recorded, lazy and the production is terrible. Even the good songs are ruined by distortion on the recordings. "Starshine" could've been one of her best album openers, but then her vocals kick in and make the whole track sound like some dodgy radio/youtube rip - muffled, flat, distorted, badly mixed. Which is real shame, because she has some great vocal moments on 24KG.
For those reasons, I really REALLY hope and pray that Stevie doesn't work with Dave again.

I also think that "That Made Me Stronger" and "Silver Girl" are better than 90% of 24KG.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Junior Ledgie

RAL is my favourite Stevie album
I like Docklands (i try to ignore the laundromat lyric)
I don't like In Your Dreams (the album)
I like all of SYW and I love Silver Girl
I love OSOTM
As confusing as it is I love the Scarlet version of Stand Back
I don't like her duets with Don Henley and Tom Petty
Old 07-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default my opinions

1. I think SN solo career is extremely over rated, FM career is one thing, but her solo career is/was a success but not to the extreme that many seem
2. I think she knows a lot more about Lindsey's dark side than any of us will ever know , thank goodness
3. Never understood why she was unhappy with Tango when she wasnt even there, she got paid from it and yet she bitches, weird
4. I actually liked the Enchanted box set, never thought I would, but I did
5. She is insane for not wanting to record with FM one last time, tour ok, I get that, but to record, she loves money and she could make some good cash on it, even if she was to just give them crap songs, but if she wants to tour the small venues and make nothing then thats fine, and yes I am aware LB tours small venues but his ego isnt anywhere near the size of Stevies so I doubt he cares, and I know SN does, so thats mind boggling
Old 07-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A View Post
5. She is insane for not wanting to record with FM one last time, tour ok, I get that, but to record, she loves money and she could make some good cash on it, even if she was to just give them crap songs, but if she wants to tour the small venues and make nothing then thats fine, and yes I am aware LB tours small venues but his ego isnt anywhere near the size of Stevies so I doubt he cares, and I know SN does, so thats mind boggling
I honestly believe that the lack of new material from La Nicks is just because she doesn't write much anymore and what she does isn't all that good. And she knows it.

It took Dave Stewart to really craft her songs on IYD - almost everything on that record was a co-write and the songs that weren't were all old demo's. Everything she's done post-SYW has either required assistance or been something she's pulled out of the vault.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My gripe is with her and FM is to try to play different music then what they play regularly .They dont want to change .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Lindsay Lohan. Yes, she needs to get her act together but there was a long time Stevie didn't have her act together either so it bothered me to hear Stevie talk about her the way she did.
I know right? But then she feels sorry for Britney? Lindsay is the one who had all those problems with her parents. She has more reasons to be messed up than Britney.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Ledgie

Default My unpopular Stevie opinions....

1. She has a blind spot when it comes to her brother Chris. He is just a hanger-on.

2. Street Angel is better than Rock a Little and TOSOTM.

3. The Twister soundtrack has the best version of Twisted, and it's due to Lindsey's influence.

4. I have no interest in seeing either Stevie or the Mac live again, they stick to the same set too much. I only saw them this time around because Christine rejoined.

5. Seems like her good songwriting days are over - the days when she wrote the words and the music and collaboration, or singing someone else's work, was very rare. I wish she would write about what's happening in her life now...like how it is to be a single older woman.

6. Wild Heart is a near perfect album. If Nothing Ever Changes was off it and Violet & Blue was on it, that would be my perfect Stevie album.

7. The shades have got to go.

8. Watchdevil on 24K Gold is not memorable, but the demo is wonderful.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise5 View Post
1. She has a blind spot when it comes to her brother Chris. He is just a hanger-on.

2. Street Angel is better than Rock a Little and TOSOTM.

3. The Twister soundtrack has the best version of Twisted, and it's due to Lindsey's influence.

4. I have no interest in seeing either Stevie or the Mac live again, they stick to the same set too much. I only saw them this time around because Christine rejoined.

5. Seems like her good songwriting days are over - the days when she wrote the words and the music and collaboration, or singing someone else's work, was very rare. I wish she would write about what's happening in her life now...like how it is to be a single older woman.

6. Wild Heart is a near perfect album. If Nothing Ever Changes was off it and Violet & Blue was on it, that would be my perfect Stevie album.

7. The shades have got to go.

8. Watchdevil on 24K Gold is not memorable, but the demo is wonderful.
TOTALLY agree with 3 and 7, 1 is tough because he's her brother and I respect the family loyalty.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, #1 is tough because it's not an unpopular opinion. I don't think there are a lot of people who think Chris is not a hanger on.

I loved it on Crystal Visions when she talked about her handsome brother and my eyes kind of jumped out of the sockets and were yanked back in when Chris came onscreen.

I was like, "What? You have another brother I didn't know about?? Chris had that second younger half-brother she never talks about, but I didn't know you did too!"

But it's sweet to love your brother. I had a younger brother named "Chris" myself.

Michele
Old 07-02-2015, 05:20 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
Great thread.....I love Stevie and all her faults, but here are a few of my unpopular opinions:

1. Stevie is good songwriter, but she has "borrowed" many of her best lines from the poetry and prose of other people—without giving proper credit.

2. Stevie isn't that great live anymore. Everything is choreographed. No spontaneity. Same setlist year after year. Boring.

3. Stevie isn't the Queen of Rock. That title belongs to Joan Jett. She may not share Stevie's popularity, but she's a better performer and she truly lives and breathes rock 'n' roll. Just watch her recent induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

4. Stevie hasn't written a truly great song since "Wild Heart."

5. Stevie is prone to exaggeration. What would be considered normal, minor pain and discomfort for us regular folks is seen as traumatic and earth-shattering in Stevie's world.

6. Dave Stewart coddles Stevie too much and has fostered and encouraged her lazy songwriting in recent years.

Yikes! I feel horrible even writing these things....But there it is.....
No, Joan Jett is extremely overrated. Stevie is and always will be the queen of rock.

Has Anyone Ever Written, Rooms On Fire, Blue Denim, Twisted, Love Is, Trouble In Shangri La, Sorcerer, For What It's Worth, You May Be The One, Hard Advice....

She's never stopped being a good songwriter

Oh and I think Sheryl Crow just ruined "Candlebright"

Last edited by welcomechris; 07-02-2015 at 05:51 AM..
Old 07-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1) I think the IYD and 24 K album are awful.
2) Red Rocks was the epitome of rock indulgence
3) I really Liked SA as it represents Stevie in her innocence before overproduction
4) Keep Dave Stewart away from anything FM or Stevie; He just plain sucks ! (and stay away from Sheryl Crow too)
5) Stevie needs to get back to her solo career and stop F'In around with FM and Dave Stewart
6) I believe that Stevie undoubtedly does her best work with Lindsey B at the helm.
7) Black or color, I'll take Stevie anyway I can get her!!!
8) Stevie and Lindsey broke up, what? 40 years ago??? He's married with kids and is NOT going to run off into the sunset with Stevie............... (and quite frankly, I'll bet that other than on stage, she probably can't stand his moodiness.
9) Lindsey is one great guitarist, one of the greatest of the past century(and one of the most underrated as far as pure talent while not being able to read a note or lick of music)
Now who can disagree with this ^ ^ ^ ???
10) Most of us will be pushing up daisies by the time Stevie writes her autobio.....

Last edited by Newzchspy; 07-02-2015 at 04:06 PM..