Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fan Reviews from Pittsburgh Post Gazette

http://postgazette.com/pg/09064/953241-42.stm

Mac sure looked fine
I was never a huge fan of the Buckingham-Nicks version of the Mac, seeing them as pleasant but somewhat lightweight. I had never seen them live, though, so since they (and my wife and I) were not getting any younger, I figured it was time.

I'm glad I went.

Reasons to love the show:

1. All of my favorite Mac songs: "Oh Well," "Tusk," "Go Your Own Way," "Landslide."

2. Stevie Nicks smoked, even from my seats almost as far away as the new arena.

3. Buckingham's blistering guitar performance, obliterating my "lightweight" tag.

4. Very professionally done show; lighting, pacing, etc.

5. Mick Fleetwood's touching exuberance at the pop crowd actually liking the throwback to the Peter Green/Bob Welch/Mick Fleetwood/John McVie-era style and song, even if only for a couple of songs.

But they still miss Christine's voice, and the songs that she would have led started slowly as we adjusted to Buckingham's voice doing the vocals.

Yes, glad I went.

Kenny Steinberg
Squirrel Hill

Just go away
Thirty years since Fleetwood Mac's last decent album and a score of years since they became utterly irrelevant, what could possibly be motivating these rock has-beens? How badly do they need a paycheck? What legal fees remain unpaid? What barroom furniture needs to be replaced?

While I think it's swell (and very clearly profitable) that the most recent incarnation of Fleetwood Mac takes to the road, it's a pity that we can't see and hear, in person once again, the true spirit and inspiration behind the original Mac: Peter Green (or Danny Kirwan or Bob Welch) and not these soap opera characters.

Well, for those who don't know any better, I guess this quartet of knuckleheads will have to do. But unlike dear, crazy and extraordinarily talented Peter Green, these guys simply don't know when to quit. Someone ought to tell them and soon.

Richard Fox
South Side

Stevie and Lindsey
"Boy-girl pop band"? Really? That's Scott Mervis' assessment ( 'Fleetwood Mac still rockin' after all these years,' March 2) of Fleetwood Mac's constraint on Lindsey Buckingham? I love that he liked the show and mentioned "Storms," which is going to intensely thrill deep fans of FWM, but why give in to the typical music media lament on how underappreciated Lindsey Buckingham is because he became part of a phenomenally successful and lucrative band?

I like Lindsey's music and performances, but if he wants to be so pure, he could divorce himself from the fame, money and acclaim and only do his solo work, while living a scaled-down life, no doubt. As for Stevie, shawl-changing takes nothing from her artistry, although it seems fashionable for reviewers to mention these things. So what if she's famous and she likes to dress up for her songs? People love her for her creative imagination. She's an astounding writer, and she's fun while remaining a true musician.

I saw FWM live for the first time on the SYW tour, and I was amazed how much better and more visceral they sounded live than on their recordings. I ended up seeing them several times on that tour, and I look forward to this tour even more. I know it's a greatest hits tour with mostly audience-familiar songs, but when they play, they play, and I hope Mr. Mervis and other reviewers will want to capture that part of their history as it goes by.

Marlene Stemme
Del Ray, Fla

Can I just say how I want to hurt the guy that wrote the 2nd review. He obviously didnt go to the show but just wanted to complain. Argh! He lives in the southside as well so I should go find him and punch him out, HA!!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for posting this.
Interesting to read what others (non ledgies) think of the band. Gives us a little perspective.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

you are welcome and yes it is interesting to see what others have to say. I wrote into the post gazette as well but of course they didnt post it, LOL! They must have known I was FM fanatic!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[A blog review]

Cranberry Journal, PA, Pittsburgh Tribune Total Media

http://www.yourcranberry.com/blog/good-music-never-dies

Submitted by chanel on March 2, 2009 - 9:08am.

I had the pleasure of attending Fleetwood Macs opening night of their 2009 tour last night at the Mellon Arena. Wonderful that they chose Pittsburgh for their opening night!

What an amazing performance. There was such a diversity of fans, not just ‘old bags’, like me, but young teens knowing the music! Fleetwood Mac was as good as they were the last time I saw them in 1979.

Stevie Nicks looked beautiful and her haunting voice still gives a fan shivers! And yes, Hottie, she did change her outfits frequently, but not on stage as you mentioned before in another blog!

Lindsey Buckingham, can play guitar! Darn, he was all over the stage at almost 60 yo! And of course, his duets with Stevie, just amazing.

Well, Mick Fleetwood, on the drums, Damn he is doing great with your liver AM! Very impressive~

John McVie hangs in the background doing his thing, too bad his ex wife was missing~

The point of my blog is to say that after 35 years, a band can still pound out the music, these peeps are 60 and put on a performance that had everyone wild.

Something to achieve ‘Fallout Boy’, T.I., Li’l Wayne, The Fray, Coldplay….etc.