Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Sacramento cancellation

It's been years since I last posted (long enough that I had to re-register), but I really feel like I need to get this off my chest...it's been bothering me for the better part of 3 weeks. FM has always been my favorite band, probably since I was a toddler and my parents played Rumours on the record player constantly. I've owned almost all their albums and have most of their songs committed to memory, plus I've seen the full band three times (95, 97, and 03) and Stevie three other times. Not to mention lots of time reading and posting on newsgroups way back when!

Anyway, I had tickets to FM's show in Sacramento on 5/18, which happened to be my birthday, and was taking my wife, who's never seen them perform. I sprang for lower-level seats, the closest to the stage I'd ever been. It was great that they were playing up here, since we can't really make the several-hour drive down to Oakland or San Jose very easily, and the fact that it was on my birthday was incredible...talk about a great present!

A few hours before the show (no kidding...about 2 p.m.), Live Nation called and said it was being postponed due to an "undisclosed illness." Needless to say, we were both extremely disappointed, since we'd been looking forward to it for months, and a bit annoyed at the late notice, but what can you do when someone's sick? The subsequent email said that a new date would be announced (which seemed like the appropriate thing to do), and tickets would be honored then, so I did have that as a consolation. I've waited six years to see them again, so what's another few weeks?

Well, no such luck. The entire show was cancelled last Friday because of "scheduling conflicts." I'm sorry, but *scheduling conflicts*? They're able to reschedule two shows all the way up in Canada midtour, but they can't find a *single* date between now and the end of the summer that Arco Arena is not being used? What galls me the most is not postponing for illness, but the fact that they promised a new date, only to cancel it entirely and come up with some half-hearted "scheduling conflicts" excuse and, I'm not kidding, a line saying "thanks for your ongoing support." Seriously, we're adults here - if ticket sales were too low, or if they were feeling burned out, or the arena owners booked up every possible date between now and next century, just tell us. "Scheduling conflicts" just makes it sound like they're lying through their teeth about cancelling for some other reason, and that "thanks for your support" when taking away your one chance to see them is just a complete kick in the teeth at this point.

Needless to say, FM is not getting my ongoing support for a while. Certainly not on this tour if they add more dates, or if they reissue Rumours. I think I'm going to save my money for Little Big Town's performance here in September. At least they announced *before* their tour with George Strait last year that they'd be skipping Sacramento...

Thanks for letting me vent, everyone.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Registered

k thanks.

discussion can be found here - http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=40440 Just a situation of travel time/logistics.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy

I feel your pain...disenchanting.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry you were let down on your Birthday. That sucks. I bet there are many folks here who have had similar experiences over the years if that makes you feel any better.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade13 View Post
It's been years since I last posted (long enough that I had to re-register), but I really feel like I need to get this off my chest...it's been bothering me for the better part of 3 weeks. FM has always been my favorite band, probably since I was a toddler and my parents played Rumours on the record player constantly. I've owned almost all their albums and have most of their songs committed to memory, plus I've seen the full band three times (95, 97, and 03) and Stevie three other times. Not to mention lots of time reading and posting on newsgroups way back when!

Anyway, I had tickets to FM's show in Sacramento on 5/18, which happened to be my birthday, and was taking my wife, who's never seen them perform. I sprang for lower-level seats, the closest to the stage I'd ever been. It was great that they were playing up here, since we can't really make the several-hour drive down to Oakland or San Jose very easily, and the fact that it was on my birthday was incredible...talk about a great present!

A few hours before the show (no kidding...about 2 p.m.), Live Nation called and said it was being postponed due to an "undisclosed illness." Needless to say, we were both extremely disappointed, since we'd been looking forward to it for months, and a bit annoyed at the late notice, but what can you do when someone's sick? The subsequent email said that a new date would be announced (which seemed like the appropriate thing to do), and tickets would be honored then, so I did have that as a consolation. I've waited six years to see them again, so what's another few weeks?

Well, no such luck. The entire show was cancelled last Friday because of "scheduling conflicts." I'm sorry, but *scheduling conflicts*? They're able to reschedule two shows all the way up in Canada midtour, but they can't find a *single* date between now and the end of the summer that Arco Arena is not being used? What galls me the most is not postponing for illness, but the fact that they promised a new date, only to cancel it entirely and come up with some half-hearted "scheduling conflicts" excuse and, I'm not kidding, a line saying "thanks for your ongoing support." Seriously, we're adults here - if ticket sales were too low, or if they were feeling burned out, or the arena owners booked up every possible date between now and next century, just tell us. "Scheduling conflicts" just makes it sound like they're lying through their teeth about cancelling for some other reason, and that "thanks for your support" when taking away your one chance to see them is just a complete kick in the teeth at this point.

Needless to say, FM is not getting my ongoing support for a while. Certainly not on this tour if they add more dates, or if they reissue Rumours. I think I'm going to save my money for Little Big Town's performance here in September. At least they announced *before* their tour with George Strait last year that they'd be skipping Sacramento...

Thanks for letting me vent, everyone.
It truly blows. I know the feeling. But I guess theres an upside, if you live in California (which im assuming you do), you know they will be back. They played CA like 20 times on the SYW tour and im sure they will do the same when they get back from Europe. In fact, I bet on it!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
I feel your pain...disenchanting.
I feel it too. I've missed out on several shows of Stevie's throughout the years cause she cancelled and never rescheduled....I live in upstate NY..so sometimes I think that we aren't worthy of a reschedule..
Old 06-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Registered

I completely missed the TISL tour due to the cancellations of Bonner Springs, KS & Maryland Heights, MO- shows that were canceled (and not rescheduled) due to illness, even as new shows in new cities were booked and put on sale.

Was I frustrated and upset? Of course. Did I consider this such an affront that I refused to continue to support Stevie as a result? Absolutely not. These Things Happen.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I also missed the entire TISL tour. I had tickets to St Louis, Kansas City, and Minneapolis, which were all cancelled. In 2004 I had Fleetwood Mac tickets on Stevie's birthday in Bristow VA. I remember driving past Chicago when my friend called to tell me it was cancelled. I did get to see Holmdel on May 29, but then I also had tickets to Camden and Scranton which were rescheduled. Suffice to say it was a real clusterf**k.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I got stung on flights from the UK and hotel costs when Stevie postponed her Vegas shows back in 2001. Had to pay out to change to the rescheduled dates
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Oh that is so annoying. I know how you feel same thing happaned to me from UK to Biloxi and concert was cancelled a few hours before it was due to go ahead. I was just lucky managed to take off and drive over to Huston and got last minute tickets there and Dallas.

And your Birthday too
Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
I completely missed the TISL tour due to the cancellations of Bonner Springs, KS & Maryland Heights, MO- shows that were canceled (and not rescheduled) due to illness, even as new shows in new cities were booked and put on sale.

Was I frustrated and upset? Of course. Did I consider this such an affront that I refused to continue to support Stevie as a result? Absolutely not. These Things Happen.
Luke, point taken on the thought that rescheduling would have been a hassle for logistical/travel time reasons, and I have to give FM credit for overlooking those enough to haul their entire show up to Alberta from Louisiana at the end of the initial dates. A very cool thing to do for the people up there who were in the same boat as us.

In the end, it's really a question of good faith to me. If they postpone a show because of a member's illness then return to health, then make up the date, like they're doing for Alberta. And if they can't, the least they can do is give people a clear reason why. "Scheduling conflicts" doesn't tell me anything. The reasons you pointed out are good ones, but I just wish I'd have heard something that clear from them, you know? I guess I should just view it as one of those things that happens, but after waiting six years to see my favorite band and this happening, I guess I'm a little more disappointed than I would be over most things.

FWIW, I don't consider this so much an affront that I'm never supporting FM again. Half my iPod is filled with their songs, and I'll probably end up buying tickets the next time they're in town, once I'm done venting. But I'm sticking to my guns about Rumours...I've already paid the royalties on that one four times!