User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
They spawned the classic english expression "don't get your knickers in a twist" meaning don't get upset or angry or agitated
In the US, we say "don't get your panties in a bunch."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is a part early in the book where Lindsey takes Carol Ann to a Post Rumors party. (FYI Stevie is a no show.) Apparently, Chris starts asking Carol Ann all sorts of questions about her background, what she does now, etc. etc. Carol Ann says that she and her live-in boyfriend make bootlegs of concerts. They sneak in a mike and a tape recorder and then later produce colored vinyl LP's for sale.

Chris asks her if she is planning to pirate Rumors and Carol Ann bleaches and says something like "OH NO! I would never do that."

Then our little Carol Ann has passed "the test" and the band decides she is alright and can become a member of the inner circle. (Lindsey is gushing and so proud of his "little girl.")

BTW...Chris was the member - delegated to interrogate little Carol Ann, who is viewed as a very innocent, delicate, child. There are many apologies about "sorry to put you through that but we HAD to know, etc. etc."

Then the party is descibed and Carol Ann says people end up having to use the bathroom a lot -- quickly and frequently, even while they are still talking (cocaine reference) and she can't quite figure out why.

Yes, it seems to get humorous as little innocent Carol Ann tells her story, like she is the little lamb and the rest are wolves in sheep's clothing. Only thing is that she is so naive', I can't tell if she is serious or just plain "stahoopid".
Old 07-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
aleuzzi has asked on the Stevie board if there are any Chris references and someone has said that Songbird and Oh Daddy were written about Curry Grant and only later did she change their meanings to fit in with what the fans were thinking.

And there is some reference to Christine's "Granny Knickers" which hopefully someone is going to elaborate on later. The mind boggles!

Thanks aleuzzi

Gail
Solidarity, Gail!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Yes, it seems to get humorous as little innocent Carol Ann tells her story, like she is the little lamb and the rest are wolves in sheep's clothing. Only thing is that she is so naive', I can't tell if she is serious or just plain "stahoopid".
Well, she has to sell books, right? And the only way to tell her story without appearing to be a part of the (read) "immoral" mayhem is to position herself as fly-on-the-wall/ fish-out-of-water. I'm sure, however, that she was just dying to be part of the very inner circle that she critiques with supposed incredulity.

That said, much of the information is probably grounded in some level of fact. I don't want to imagine that Chris was snorting while driving, but the truth is I've known many people who have done dumber things than that while behind the wheel. And Stevie's dog who likes to snort coke? Again: I've known people to get their dogs high--as appalling as that might be.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
In the US, we say "don't get your panties in a bunch."

I like that.

Gail
Old 07-04-2007, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
That said, much of the information is probably grounded in some level of fact. I don't want to imagine that Chris was snorting while driving, but the truth is I've known many people who have done dumber things than that while behind the wheel. And Stevie's dog who likes to snort coke? Again: I've known people to get their dogs high--as appalling as that might be.
Stevie's dog snorted coke? That's horrible. This book sounds like it might even be a bit trashier than Mick's book.

I also agree that much of this book & Mick's book are probably grounded in fact. Both Bob Welch & John McVie have said that Mick's book was pretty accurate. That's good enough for me.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Stevie's dog snorted coke? That's horrible. This book sounds like it might even be a bit trashier than Mick's book.

I also agree that much of this book & Mick's book are probably grounded in fact. Both Bob Welch & John McVie have said that Mick's book was pretty accurate. That's good enough for me.
If that is true about the dog that's appalling.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before a really trashy book came out about them. It's a matter of where you place the emphasis - has she just concentrated on the wild stuff and left out normality. Was there any normality?

I'm quite looking forward to it coming at the end of the month but by then I may know all there is to know

Gail
Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm quite looking forward to it coming at the end of the month but by then I may know all there is to know
Gail
I have to wait until at least August, maybe even later to get my copy from Amazon. I ordered it with a pre-ordered Simon & Garfunkel CD & I got free shipping, so both my CD & the book will be shipped together. It says on Amazon that there are 400 pages in the book. I doubt we'll know everything in the book before we get our copies.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have to wait until at least August, maybe even later to get my copy from Amazon. I ordered it with a pre-ordered Simon & Garfunkel CD & I got free shipping, so both my CD & the book will be shipped together. It says on Amazon that there are 400 pages in the book. I doubt we'll know everything in the book before we get our copies.
Oh that's OK then.

I expect there will be things about Christine in the book which don't get mentioned because most of the discussions are centering around Stevie and Lindsey

Gail
Old 07-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

(Note -- I am a former English teacher, so I have my own biases.)

When Chris is mentioned in the book, she ususally has a drink in one and and a cigarette in the other. The drink of choice is always vodka.

The image is, that she is a hard drinking, swearing, maculine individual and basically "nobody's gonna mess with Chris." She is kind and ocassionally comes up to Carol Ann and puts a reassuring hand on her shoulder when Carol Ann feels like a fish out of water, (amongst the press & Warner Execs. etc.) So, she is also seen as the mother who keeps an eye out. Julie Ruebens (later McVie?) is the one that Carol bonds with.

Chris also doesn't know how to dress and has to learn the finesse of wearing attractive clothing, because it doesn't come natural to her. She is more "one of the guys". If there is something hard or requiring an iron fist approach, they have Chris do it, and Mick and John are in the background looking wimpy.

The reader gets a sense that part of this is the British vs. American culture and Carol Ann generally sides with the American side. There does seem to be a lot of tension due to the stoic - no feelings allowed - British approach, whereas the Americans are more "touchy feely" etc.

Last night while reading, it occurred to me that this book resembles a Shakespearean play....Lindsey is the misunderstood Hamlet, John and Chris are the supporting characters in the background, John is talkative, warm and inclusive, Mick is a sexual buffoon, a kind of earthy character, and Stevie is the comic relief. Stevie....well...if for no other reason, you gotta buy the book for Stevie. The descriptions of her and her girlfans, are like the wtiches in MacBeth...they often slink into the shadows of the room. Stevie comes on stage and you bust up laughing. Part of this are the snide remarks made by the author about how Stevie acts, dresses and the things she says. She basically is the brunt of the author's jokes and brings it on herself. (Not being a great Stevie fan, I found it comical. Don't get me wrong, I am a Stevie fan, but a mild one.)

The author really isn't subjective, unless it is the passages about John, Christine , Mick and the rest of the inner circle. If she talks about herself, Lindsey or Stevie, the tone changes and takes an immature bias. She is not the causal observer, no, she gets in the dirt and kicks up gravel. I enjoy the book because of that fact...it gets humorous. I also enjoy the book because if you can read between the lines and focus on the other people *not the love triangle* it is interesting. I just wish there were more passages about the other people.

Alas, with that being said, I got bored with the book last night...for me it is hard to read...because I keep getting this Disney heroine cartoon in my mind....so .... I skipped and read the last chapter to see if I will stay with this thing. I was saddened. The tone and voice of the writer is much different, almost like someone else is writing it. Because of this change I wil continue reading it.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ooops one more...I forgot to mention....Carol Ann is Ophelia to Lindsey's Hamlet... (JMHO)
Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When Chris is mentioned in the book, she ususally has a drink in one and and a cigarette in the other. The drink of choice is always vodka.
Well that sounds about right.

Most of the older pictures you see of Christine she does have a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Although I always thought the drink was wine.

Gail
Old 07-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The image is, that she is a hard drinking, swearing, maculine individual and basically "nobody's gonna mess with Chris." She is kind and ocassionally comes up to Carol Ann and puts a reassuring hand on her shoulder when Carol Ann feels like a fish out of water, (amongst the press & Warner Execs. etc.) So, she is also seen as the mother who keeps an eye out. Julie Ruebens (later McVie?) is the one that Carol bonds with.

Chris also doesn't know how to dress and has to learn the finesse of wearing attractive clothing, because it doesn't come natural to her. She is more "one of the guys". If there is something hard or requiring an iron fist approach, they have Chris do it, and Mick and John are in the background looking wimpy.
All of that sounds right. Chris has described herself as having a mouth like a sewer & being "one of the guys", since she was always working with men. She's also said that she felt most comfortable in jeans, so the part about not knowing how to dress is right too.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All of that sounds right. Chris has described herself as having a mouth like a sewer & being "one of the guys", since she was always working with men. She's also said that she felt most comfortable in jeans, so the part about not knowing how to dress is right too.
I'm not so sure about this "not knowing how to dress" business.

what's right or wrong about the way people dress? Surely it's a matter of personal choice?

I think she might have been a bit insecure about it because didn't she once go shopping with an ex of Dennis Wilson's because he didn't like the way she dressed? I'd have told him to sod off if he'd said that to me

Gail
Old 07-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not so sure about this "not knowing how to dress" business.

what's right or wrong about the way people dress? Surely it's a matter of personal choice?

I think she might have been a bit insecure about it because didn't she once go shopping with an ex of Dennis Wilson's because he didn't like the way she dressed? I'd have told him to sod off if he'd said that to me

Gail
I was referring to the Dennis Wilson episode when I meant not knowing how to dress. That and another article from back in the late 1960's when she said she didn't like to wear dresses & preferred dressing like the other "blokes" in Chicken Shack. She certainly knows how to dress now. Check out all those fantastic Tusk & Tango pictures of her.