Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Chris mentioned in new book?

Has anyone bought the new Carol Ann Harris book about Lindsey/Fleetwood Mac? If anyone has, is Chris mentioned? Are John & Mick mentioned? I'd like to know if it's worth buying?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Has anyone bought the new Carol Ann Harris book about Lindsey/Fleetwood Mac? If anyone has, is Chris mentioned? Are John & Mick mentioned? I'd like to know if it's worth buying?
there's been some discussion on the Lindsey and Stevie boards but unsurprisingly they're not discussing Christine!

I've got it on order from Amazon (it's not out here until the end of the month)

This is the only bit I could find

"I left out the description of Christine. She seems like someone you'd really want to meet:
"Christine was a guys' girl, a good sport- think Katherine Hepburn's elegance and boyish charm, or Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby. She was earthy and tough, despite the pure voice and the poignant love songs she wrote. She was the band mother, as Stevie was the wayward band child." (introduction, page xi)"

I'm sure there are other parts of the book where she is mentioned but I'll just have to wait and see

Gail
Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

A coincindence that a week or two ago La Nicks referred to CM as the band's mother?

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

aleuzzi has asked on the Stevie board if there are any Chris references and someone has said that Songbird and Oh Daddy were written about Curry Grant and only later did she change their meanings to fit in with what the fans were thinking.

And there is some reference to Christine's "Granny Knickers" which hopefully someone is going to elaborate on later. The mind boggles!

Thanks aleuzzi

Gail
Old 07-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There are quite a few Christine weaved throughout the book, and a lot of references to Dennis Wilson, as Sara Fleetwood, Carol Ann Harris and Dennis hung out together since they weren't "in" the band. I'll include one part, that I thought was very funny:

Storms: My Life with Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac by Carol Ann Harris (2007, Introduction, XI):

John McVie was the straight-faced, badly dressed joker, with a brilliantly dry wit, never sober, the big, crazy brother you never had, while Christine could out-drink any man but had never learned to do girly things or dress up like a homecoming queen. Once, driving to a band photo shoot with Richard Avedon, one of the world's most famous photographers, she was pulled over by the NYPD, who suspected they'd seen her snorting coke as she drove. Fortunately she snorted the entire stash, so there was no proof. But to her humiliation and fury she'd been strip-searched while wearing the large graying pair of knickers we all keep in the bottom of our lingerie drawer. "I was saving my new pink silk ones for the shoot!" she screamed at us all, still raging, when she arrived. "I was wearing my usuals!"

"Oh my God, Chris, not the cotton English granny knickers?" Stevie gasped. Big knickers weren't Stevie's style. From a wealthy family, she'd grown up in silk.

Christine nodded and burst into tears.

John Courage leapt to his feet, shaking his fist. "I'll have their badges!" he promised.

John Courage to the rescue. Some of this stuff is a real hoot. Some of the book is disturbing. There is a bit from Dennis Wilson's Charlie Manson time. So yes, there are references to Christine throughout the book, but it's not focused on Christine per se. There's funny references to all the members of the band from time to time.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
"Oh my God, Chris, not the cotton English granny knickers?" Stevie gasped. Big knickers weren't Stevie's style. From a wealthy family, she'd grown up in silk.

Christine nodded and burst into tears.
Oh dear poor Christine. We all have big grey knickers that aren't for public viewing.

Mind you I have to say if she hadn't been snorting coke when driving none of this would have happened. A salutory lesson.

Gail

PS I had a somwhat similar experience once when I arrived at a small Spanish airport years ago. A security man made me open my case which was really fully so when I eventually got the damn thing open a pair of my (old grey) knickers flirted out of the case and onto the floor. I was mortified!

Last edited by Gailh; 07-03-2007 at 10:13 AM..
Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 PM

I ordered it to make my amazon order larger than 30 bucks for free shipping.... It will be part of my summer reading....
Old 07-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
John Courage leapt to his feet, shaking his fist. "I'll have their badges!" he promised.
That was very gallant of him.

I wonder if he had a "thing" for Christine?

Gail
Old 07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyway what's wrong with good sensible, cotton, English Granny knickers?

Do americans actually call them knickers?

Gail
Old 07-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Anyway what's wrong with good sensible, cotton, English Granny knickers?

Do americans actually call them knickers?

Gail
Actually, I was just about to ask what knickers were, then I reread the article again and figured it out....

I believe "knickers," as Americans know them, are short, knee-length pants that young guys used to wear in the early decades of the 20th century. Correct me if I'm wrong, though....

Andrea (who definitely grew up on the wrong side of the pond!)
Well let it let go of the sorrow."
--Stevie Nicks, "Juliet"
Old 07-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, I just ordered my copy on Amazon. The reviews on Amazon only mentioned Lindsey & Stevie. I wanted to make sure Chris was in the book. I also had to get it at least for that knickers story.

I'm shocked that Chris would be doing cocaine while driving.

Last edited by macfan 57; 07-03-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Old 07-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
OK, I just ordered my copy on Amazon. The reviews on Amazon only mentioned Lindsey & Stevie. I wanted to make sure Chris was in the book. I also had to get it at least for that knickers story.

I'm shocked that Chris would be doing cocaine while driving.
I have to say that shocked me too. Of all the stupid brainless things to do. She might have killed herself or worse killed someone else.

Although she must have been very embarassed there is part of me that thinks served her damn well right.

Still it is reassuring to know that she was wearing "granny knickers"

Gail
Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfanatic View Post
Actually, I was just about to ask what knickers were, then I reread the article again and figured it out....

I believe "knickers," as Americans know them, are short, knee-length pants that young guys used to wear in the early decades of the 20th century. Correct me if I'm wrong, though....

Andrea (who definitely grew up on the wrong side of the pond!)
Knickers is short for knickerbockers which as you say were knee length trousers.

The word was then used to describe underwear. Premdominently women's but can also be use for men's.

They spawned the classic english expression "don't get your knickers in a twist" meaning don't get upset or angry or agitated

It's not a word I can picture Stevie using though.

Gail
Old 07-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Although she must have been very embarassed there is part of me that thinks served her damn well right.
I was thinking the same thing too. And, now her underwear is in a book some 30 years later.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldn't consider anything in this book to be reliable information. Doesn't the author have an axe to grind? And she wants to sell copies, so the more scandalous the book is, the better. On the other hand, it might be a mindless fun read; I'll consider buying it when the price for a used copy on Amazon drops to about a dollar. (I suspect that's about what the book is worth.)

My library doesn't even have it (I just checked their on-line catalogue), which I suspect means it's pretty much utter trash.