User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Does anyone know the background to the lawsuit?

I heard about it but I don't actually know any details.

Gail
Bob isn't allowed to talk specifically about the lawsuit. I assume everyone keeping quiet about it was part of the settlement. Obviously, it was about record royalties during Bob's time in FM. I suspect Bob may have gone to Mick, John & Chris first about his grievance, then got nowhere & then sued.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Bob isn't allowed to talk specifically about the lawsuit. I assume everyone keeping quiet about it was part of the settlement. Obviously, it was about record royalties during Bob's time in FM. I suspect Bob may have gone to Mick, John & Chris first about his grievance, then got nowhere & then sued.
Yes that makes sense.

In Mick's autobiography he did say that at one point when the first moved to the states all their royalties were paid to Bob because they were UK citizens and he (Bob) got a "hell of a tax bill". I'm at work at the moment so I can't check this but I think I'm remembering it right.

Perhaps that had something to do with it

Gail
Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes that makes sense.

In Mick's autobiography he did say that at one point when the first moved to the states all their royalties were paid to Bob because they were UK citizens and he (Bob) got a "hell of a tax bill". I'm at work at the moment so I can't check this but I think I'm remembering it right.

Perhaps that had something to do with it

Gail
That could be. Here's the excerpt from Mick's book, page 151:

"Everything of Fleetwood Mac's was still in Bob Welch's name because we had no green cards that would let us work and earn money in the States. I remember that the $200,000 record advance from Warner Bros. to me, John and Chris went directly into Bob's bank account and that years later he got a hell of a tax bill.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
That could be. Here's the excerpt from Mick's book, page 151:

"Everything of Fleetwood Mac's was still in Bob Welch's name because we had no green cards that would let us work and earn money in the States. I remember that the $200,000 record advance from Warner Bros. to me, John and Chris went directly into Bob's bank account and that years later he got a hell of a tax bill.
It's a wonder they got away with that - wouldn't that be illegal?

Gail
Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's a wonder they got away with that - wouldn't that be illegal?

Gail
Probably. That would be why the IRS sent that huge tax bill to Bob.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

just popping in quick to say that i would LOVE to have her record anything. . .blues, r&b it doesn't matter. she could record a double album of her reading off listings in the phone book and i would buy it.

and that's very cool that bob welch answered your email joanne! it's great to see that he enjoys interacting with the fans.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
it's great to see that he enjoys interacting with the fans.
Unlike our Chris.

Gail
Old 04-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well as much as i would have loved to see chris more involved with her own site, i do understand that she's a very private person and when you open yourself up to the fans, you allow for all sorts of psychos to start trickling in. i think she's just had enough of it all at this point in her life. i don't hold it against her!
Old 04-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
well as much as i would have loved to see chris more involved with her own site, i do understand that she's a very private person and when you open yourself up to the fans, you allow for all sorts of psychos to start trickling in. i think she's just had enough of it all at this point in her life. i don't hold it against her!
Yes I understand that now she probably is to all intents and purposes "retired" but I am still disappointed that she didn't answer her questions on her website.

But I daresay I'll get over it!

Gail
Old 04-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine is a lot more "famous" than Bob, since she is a member of the 'Rumours lineup.' Even though some of us like the 'Welch lineup' better, Bob Welch still doesn't enjoy anywhere near the amount of fame that Christine does. (Note the Hall of Fame exclusion, as an illustration.) Therefore Bob can "afford" to interact with his fans on his website; the volume of chatter isn't so much as to be overwhelming.

There's probably also a personality difference; Bob is an outgoing, gregarious American and Christine is a laid back, retiring English gentlewoman.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Christine is a lot more "famous" than Bob, since she is a member of the 'Rumours lineup.' Even though some of us like the 'Welch lineup' better, Bob Welch still doesn't enjoy anywhere near the amount of fame that Christine does. (Note the Hall of Fame exclusion, as an illustration.) Therefore Bob can "afford" to interact with his fans on his website; the volume of chatter isn't so much as to be overwhelming.

There's probably also a personality difference; Bob is an outgoing, gregarious American and Christine is a laid back, retiring English gentlewoman.
I'm sure Bob can handle the amount of "chatter" he gets on his website and I think the sheer volume of questions Christine got was a but overwhelming.

From what Martin Wyatt said they weren't expecting so many questions about the old FM days. They kind of thought the questions would be about ITM. Also I doubt if the questions were filtered so there would have been quite a few duplications.

It wasn't handled at all well by Sanctuary so it was probably a bit daunting.

As for the personality issue - they got on well previously so I think it was just the lawsuit. I'll say it again - I don't think it pays to get on Chris' bad side!

Gail
Old 04-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

From what Martin Wyatt said they weren't expecting so many questions about the old FM days. They kind of thought the questions would be about ITM.
I didn't know that they may have been a bit disappointed about there being so few ITM questions. I can certainly understand that. After all, she was promoting her new album. For what it's worth, I did send some ITM questions.

Quote:
It wasn't handled at all well by Sanctuary so it was probably a bit daunting.
That is an understatement. I blame Sanctuary's site administrator, Gavin. I believe he just sent all of the questions at once & expected Chris & Dan to sort everything out. Also, that contest was a bad idea. I think some Fleetwood Mac(Buckingham/Nicks) fans who could care less about Chris sent questions just to try to win that contest. I would have sent questions if there had been no contest & I think most true Chris fans would have done so also.

Quote:
I don't think it pays to get on Chris' bad side!
I agree. I wouldn't want her mad at me either.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post

I agree about the personality difference. Chris is very, very private.

Also, Bob is still trying to do something with his career, while Chris is basically retired.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hopefully, she will record another album of new material. While Ken Cailliat produced the last one, why not join forces with Richard Dashut in the producer's seat this time? He could bring along guitarist Michael Thompson, who played beautifully on Chris' songs from the Time album. Then, it would be less of a funk album than In the Meantime, which would be just Perfect.
But probably, it depends on the sales of the last album whether Sanctuary would distribute another record of hers. Has it sold well?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwebster View Post
But probably, it depends on the sales of the last album whether Sanctuary would distribute another record of hers. Has it sold well?
I don't know exact figures but I don't think sales were too good. BUT they weren't expecting mega sales.

I don't think Sanctuary are interested in Christine anymore judging by their (lack of) response to her website problems.

I really think another Christine album exists only in our heads.

Gail