User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Did Christine ever officially join the band? I've speculated about this before, but according to the early press releases, she was just a guest, helping fill out the set. Then Jeremy left. In all that craziness, did they ever actually say "well, Christine, you're now officially a member of Fleetwood Mac" or did it just sort of happen or were those press releases just plain wrong?

To be sure, I'm not questioning whether or not she was a member of the band. I'm just asking if she ever formally joined the band. My hunch is it that her membership in Fleetwood Mac just sort of happened.
It's not clear from those early press releases whether she was just joining the band to help out their live show or to 100% join the band. However, I have several interviews from just after their initial tour ended(around Oct./Nov. 1970). And, Chris & Jeremy both talked about Chris writing songs for their new album. There was also the problem of her record label. She had been signed with Blue Horizon while FM was with Warner Brothers. That may have had something to do why those early press releases were so murky.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
As far as I know, Jesus isn't mentioned in any of the writing credits.
According to Glen Boyd, Jesus got co-write credits for all of Peter Green's In The Skies album.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you check out the comments section after the article Mr Boyd is getting a little irritated with people (me) mentioning the lack of Christine in his article.

Good! My work here is done.

Gail
Old 03-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
If you check out the comments section after the article Mr Boyd is getting a little irritated with people (me) mentioning the lack of Christine in his article.

Good! My work here is done.

Gail
Good job, Gail. He deserves to be irritated.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wrote in and told him that if he was willing to correct the information about Bob Welch writing the ten songs on Bare Trees (???) then why not rework Christine into the article...

I noticed a few had mentioned (with due indignation) the omission and that his responses were bizarrely defensive. Rather than saying "Oh, okay, I'll fix it, he says "enough already." What an ass. He says he "loves her stuff" but clearly he does not. he says his article focuses on the guitarists and lead singers...but isn't CHRIS a lead singer.

Further proof that blogwriting is often useless.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I wrote in and told him that if he was willing to correct the information about Bob Welch writing the ten songs on Bare Trees (???) then why not rework Christine into the article...

I noticed a few had mentioned (with due indignation) the omission and that his responses were bizarrely defensive. Rather than saying "Oh, okay, I'll fix it, he says "enough already." What an ass. He says he "loves her stuff" but clearly he does not. he says his article focuses on the guitarists and lead singers...but isn't CHRIS a lead singer.

Further proof that blogwriting is often useless.
I wonder when he will respond to you?

Gail
Old 03-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I wonder when he will respond to you?

Gail

doubt he will...
Old 03-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate that all this focus on Fleetwood Mac has become revisionist of late. When the reissues cam out, and SYW I suppose, people started to re-evaluate their stuff. It seems that if you want to write an evaluation of the Mac, now, for one of these coffee-table semi-intellectual mags and be taken seriously you need to basically omit Christine because she was too 'sugary' or something.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I hate that all this focus on Fleetwood Mac has become revisionist of late. When the reissues cam out, and SYW I suppose, people started to re-evaluate their stuff. It seems that if you want to write an evaluation of the Mac, now, for one of these coffee-table semi-intellectual mags and be taken seriously you need to basically omit Christine because she was too 'sugary' or something.
I think there could be a danger of that but if anyone wants to be taken seriously as a journalist then they need to get their facts straight. I personally would ignore anyone's opinion if they cant even get some basic facts right.

Surely any evaluation of FM MUST include Christine. Even if they don't like her music.

that's why I called this thread Airbrushed Out. It just reminded me of the old Soviet regimes where leaders were airbrushed out of photos when they fell out of favour (but Boris would know more about this than me )

Gail
Old 03-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine will never be ignored by legitimate critics & journalists. She was a HUGE part of FM when they were in their prime back in the 1970's. If anything, when this is all over, the later years of FM will probably be "airbrushed" out. Why do you think all of these greatest albums lists include Rumours & the White Album? She dominated both albums. SYW will be forgotten, as it should be in my opinion.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Christine will never be ignored by legitimate critics & journalists. She was a HUGE part of FM when they were in their prime back in the 1970's. If anything, when this is all over, the later years of FM will probably be "airbrushed" out. Why do you think all of these greatest albums lists include Rumours & the White Album? She dominated both albums. SYW will be forgotten, as it should be in my opinion.
I think when the history of FM is written whatever anyone's opnion of the music the most successful lineups i.e. the ones that shifted the most records will be what's remembered.

So the Peter Green band of the late sixties and the Rumours lineup of the seventies and eighties will be what people concentrate on. There are obviously other incarnations of the band and while Mick still breathes there'll be a band called Fleetwood Mac but I can't see them ever having such a high profile as they have in the past.

I don't actually dislike SYW (well apart from Come and Murrow) other than for me it is too long. I don't think it's their best album but I don't thinks it's the worst either. I would have loved Christine to have been on it - some of the ITM songs would have sounded great.

Gail
Old 03-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Of course you are correct, Mary Anne--except for Say You Will, which is a very good record. It would have been outstanding with Chris, but in terms of quality it is, in my opinion, miles above Behind the Mask and Time.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I find it offensive that this "Critic" could neglect someone who contributed over 25 years of her life to Fleetwood Mac.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Of course you are correct, Mary Anne--except for Say You Will, which is a very good record. It would have been outstanding with Chris, but in terms of quality it is, in my opinion, miles above Behind the Mask and Time.
Yeah, but really, it SHOULD have been miles above those albums. Lindsey spent like eight years on most, if not all, of his songs, and a few of the Stevie songs were at least 20 years old (specifically "Goodbye Baby" and "Smile At You," but I wouldn't be shocked if there were others). By contrast, they spent maybe three years total on BTM and "Time."

The bottom line is that Fleetwood Mac hasn't done a great album since "Tusk." There, I said it. They've had good albums, but "Tusk" was the last one that didn't have a bad song on it. The rest have enough bad ones to make a full length "Worst Of" album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They've had good albums, but "Tusk" was the last one that didn't have a bad song on it. The rest have enough bad ones to make a full length "Worst Of" album.
Great idea. Instead of another Greatest Hits album, maybe they should release Fleetwood Mac's Most Acquired Tastes?