Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Chris/Christine

From watching various videos of our favorite band in action lol, I've noticed some things.
For one, every one in FM in the Rumours era calls Ms. McVie 'Chris', except Lindsey. He always has called her 'Christine' in everything I have found. Does anyone have a clue why?
[I myself, HATE when people call me 'Chris'..my name is Christine too btw ]
And I wonder if her parents or brother were the first ones to call her that....

sorry, I just wonder all the time why Lindz is the only one who calls her 'Christine'....
Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've heard Lindsey refer to her as "Chris" sometimes, but he mostly calls her "Christine" in recent years.

I hate when she is called "Christy," especially by so-called "fans" of the band. You know, the ones whose favorite songs are "Listen to the Wind Blow" and "Thunder Only Happens When It's Raining."
Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had never noticed this before, but now that I think of it Lindsey did usually refer to her as Christine. Right now I can't even think of a time when he referred to her as just "Chris". They were never close personal friends, so maybe that's the reason. Chris is more personal than Christine.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I've heard Lindsey refer to her as "Chris" sometimes, but he mostly calls her "Christine" in recent years.

I hate when she is called "Christy," especially by so-called "fans" of the band. You know, the ones whose favorite songs are "Listen to the Wind Blow" and "Thunder Only Happens When It's Raining."
dont you hate people like that
oh, also that song 'you can go your own way'
and people who think that 'rhiannon' is 'rhinna' or something to that effect
psh and they call themselves fans

Ive never heard anyone refer to her as 'christy' but it would annoy the heck out of me now that i think about it lol
Old 06-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ I've even read some pieces by music journalists and they've called her "Christy" McVie.

The funniest "fan" moment I encountered was at a Say You Will show in Champaign, IL. Lindsey was getting ready to do "Big Love," and someone yells out, "We love you, Mick!"
Old 06-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This thread has brought up a very dim memory of a TV personality who used to refer to Christine as "Christie McVie." It was either Casey Kasem or Dick Clark, or someone like that (if I had to guess I would say Casey Kasem). The show was some sort of music show that was on during the height of FM's popularity (an American Bandstand or America's Top 40 sort of show). It used to irritate me that the host was getting her name wrong, but now I don't remember for sure who it was. Is anybody else here old enough to remember (LOL)?

Then again, has Christine ever said what form of her name she prefers? I think everyone has the right to be called what they'd like to be called, but maybe she honestly doesn't care. I usually alternate between Christine and Chris in posts ("Chris" does require less typing), but I never call her "Chris McVie" when I'm talking about her.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
This thread has brought up a very dim memory of a TV personality who used to refer to Christine as "Christie McVie." It was either Casey Kasem or Dick Clark, or someone like that (if I had to guess I would say Casey Kasem). The show was some sort of music show that was on during the height of FM's popularity (an American Bandstand or America's Top 40 sort of show). It used to irritate me that the host was getting her name wrong, but now I don't remember for sure who it was. Is anybody else here old enough to remember (LOL)?
I don't know who you're thinking of, but it definitely wasn't Dick Clark. Chris was on American Bandstand when she was promoting her 1984 solo album. He definitely referred to her as "Christine". It could have been Casey Kasem. I always thought he was very annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Then again, has Christine ever said what form of her name she prefers? I think everyone has the right to be called what they'd like to be called, but maybe she honestly doesn't care. I usually alternate between Christine and Chris in posts ("Chris" does require less typing), but I never call her "Chris McVie" when I'm talking about her.
I doubt that she really cares what people call her. I never refer to her as Chris McVie. It doesn't sound right. I also alternate between Christine & Chris, usually Chris more so than Christine. And, I HATE when people who aren't really fans refer to her as Christy.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I usually alternate too
I agree that people have a right to be called what they want
and no, 'Chris McVie' doesnt sound right
'Christine' is just so much more formal than 'Chris'
Old 06-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i don't know why lindsey always refers to her as "christine". possibly because he's scared of her? but i've never heard anyone refer to her as christy. that's just bang out of order and bizarre. i like to her call her "chris" on occassions where i dream that we are close friends and share chocolate hobnobs over tea whilst discussing music and art. but most time i live in reality and just refer to her as christine.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Every interview I've heard with John, he refers to her as "Chris", but then I guess he's entitled.

I"ll have to dig it out, but my Eric Clapton concert program that she signed, I seem to remember she signed it "Chris", not "Christine".

Last edited by chiliD; 06-14-2007 at 10:27 AM..
Old 06-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I tend to refer to her as Christine although I sometimes do call her Chris.

Calling her "Chris" sounds like I know her so I don't feel particularly comfortable with that.

I don't think I've ever heard Lindsey refer to her as anything other than Christine although he pronounces it ChrisTEEN whereas I would say CHRIStine - haven't we discussed this before?

Gail
Old 06-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I don't think I've ever heard Lindsey refer to her as anything other than Christine although he pronounces it ChrisTEEN whereas I would say CHRIStine - haven't we discussed this before?
Yes, we did...a few years back. There's a thread about it somewhere.

Americans pronounce it ChrisTEEN & the Brits pronounce it CHRISteen.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post

Americans pronounce it ChrisTEEN & the Brits pronounce it CHRISteen.
thats right
I pronounce my name ChrisTEEN [as in like sixteen or seventeen], I don't think I've ever heard a Brit pronounce 'Christine' fully, all of the FM members just call her 'Chris' [back to where we started ]
so basically you're saying that in England, the 'chris' is pronounced heavier than the 'tine'???
thats kind-of cool
Old 06-18-2007, 04:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
thats right
so basically you're saying that in England, the 'chris' is pronounced heavier than the 'tine'???
thats kind-of cool
Yes that's right CHRISteen not ChrisTEEN

Gail
Old 06-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post

I think that thread was on the old ChristineMcVie.com message board, since I remember it and I've only been reading this board since that board went out of existence.

When I say the name out loud I put the accent equally on both syllables -- CHRIS - TEEN.

I think Brits in general tend to put a heavier stress on the first syllable of a lot of words. Is there a linguist in the house?