The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-21-2023, 01:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Monday Morning and Warm Ways as the white album’s first U.S. singles?

I was just told a bit of “White Album” history that I didn’t know. Are others aware of this, if in fact it’s true that Warm Ways and Monday Morning were released as U.S. singles, but flopped?

This is a quote from a Facebook user named Kenneth Paule, talking specifically about the U.S., not Europe:
“I worked for Warner Bros. Records and you are wrong. The first album was released in April 1975 and "Over My Head" was not a hit until the fall of 1975. "Rhiannon" was a hit in the spring if 1976. The band toured from April 1975 until the end of the year playing small venues or opening for famous artists. Record companies always release a single when an album comes out and the artist goes in tour. "Warm Ways" was released when the album came out and was a flop. Then "Monday Morning" came out in late summer and was a flop. But the record company released the third single, "Over My Head" because the band was doing very well on tour. Lindsey and mostly Stevie were getting a lot of attention. "Over My Head was a hit" and then "Rhiannon" was and then "Say You Love Me" was. The band has often said that "Over My Head" was the first single because it was their first hit. And they didn't want to advertise to their fans that it took three singles to have a real hit.”
Old 09-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

More from Kenneth Paule, who says he worked for Warners at the time:

““Warm Ways" was chosen because the record company wanted a song of Christine's was the first single, as she had been in the band and they though their fans needed to introduce Lindsey ans Stevie slowly. When it didn't do anything the put out "Monday Morning" because it was an upbeat rock song. Rolling Stone Magazine on their review of the album said new member Stevie Nicks voice sounded raucous and callow compared to the beautiful voice of Christine McVie. Not only was Stevie very hurt by that, but the record company was nervous to release any of her songs. But "Rhiannon" live was stopping the show at every concert and the record company was very aware of the attention Stevie was getting. So after "Over My Head" was a hit they couldn't wait to release "Rhiannon". And even though "Landslide" and "World Turning" were never released as singles they both became hits as radio was realizing what a great band they were. Their Sumner 1976 was when Stevie started wearing the black chiffon dress with the platform boots and her top hat. And she quickly became a huge sex symbol, which helped the band get even bigger, making way for Rumours to be the smash hit album it was.“
Old 09-21-2023, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’ve never seen US 45s of Warm Ways or Monday Morning.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-21-2023, 03:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’ve never seen US 45s of Warm Ways or Monday Morning.
I haven’t either, but this guy seems convincing and says he was at the record company. 🤷*♂️
Old 09-21-2023, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
I haven’t either, but this guy seems convincing and says he was at the record company. 🤷*♂️
You would think there'd be at least some 45's in the basement bins.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've read Warm Ways was a single in UK, Blue Letter was side B. I was looking for a US release, but only found europeans, including this italian record.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Yes Warm Ways was only released in the UK as the first single and it flopped. But it was never released in the States. This person is wrong because there is nothing on Fleetwood Mac official websites or Wikipedia that ever talks about the first single was Monday Morning. I think Mick even wrote in his first book the joy the band felt when the first US Single Over My Head was climbing the charts.
When someone says "My uncle or dad is a cop" means they are not a cop. When someone says they "worked for Warner Brothers" thus makes me a Fleetwood Mac expert, they are also not. Landslide, World Turning, and Monday Moring all enjoyed radio airplay. But they were never released as official singles. Gold Dust Woman and The Chain still get some of the most airplay but never released as official singles.
If you believe Stevie (I know I know) she has always said that she never wanted Rhiannon to be released as a single because no one thought it was a single and she did not want to see her song drag down the band.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-21-2023 at 04:14 PM..
Old 09-21-2023, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You would think there'd be at least some 45's in the basement bins.
Speaking of basement bins. I once came across a cassette tape of Rock A Little at a thrift store for $1.00. I still had a cassette player on my stereo but still passed
Old 09-21-2023, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
When someone says "My uncle or dad is a cop" means they are not a cop. When someone says they "worked for Warner Brothers" thus makes me a Fleetwood Mac expert, they are also not.
He was probably the custodian.

The first red flag for me was when he said the album was released In April. It was released on July 11, 1975. “Over My Head” was released in September and the band hired out to get a more radio friendly mix.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-21-2023, 04:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes Warm Ways was only released in the UK as the first single and it flopped. But it was never released in the States. This person is wrong because there is nothing on Fleetwood Mac official websites or Wikipedia that ever talks about the first single was Monday Morning. I think Mick even wrote in his first book the joy the band felt when the first US Single Over My Head was climbing the charts.
When someone says "My uncle or dad is a cop" means they are not a cop. When someone says they "worked for Warner Brothers" thus makes me a Fleetwood Mac expert, they are also not.
I mean I get that, to some extent, and I’m not saying I necessary believe this guy. But his claim is that the band and label pretended those songs weren’t singles because they wanted the public to think their first single was a success right out of the gate. That seems plausible.

I googled his name “Kenneth Paule,” and didn’t find anything related to Warner Brothers, so who knows. But Wikipedia can be edited by anyone so it certainly isn’t a reliable source either.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
But his claim is that the band and label pretended those songs weren’t singles because they wanted the public to think their first single was a success right out of the gate. That seems plausible.
Wish they would have tried to hide the fact that Oh Diane was a single.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I mean I get that, to some extent, and I’m not saying I necessary believe this guy. But his claim is that the band and label pretended those songs weren’t singles because they wanted the public to think their first single was a success right out of the gate. That seems plausible.

I googled his name “Kenneth Paule,” and didn’t find anything related to Warner Brothers, so who knows. But Wikipedia can be edited by anyone so it certainly isn’t a reliable source either.
True but the band had wild success. There would be no reason for them to lie. Mick documents all the albums, the peaks, the valleys, hits, disappointments, etc. It would not make sense to hide the fact Monday Morning was the first US Single. Mick would write the more successful the band got in the states, the more the band's success faded in the UK.
Monday Morning used to get lots of airplay especially stations on Monday Mornings and then making machine gun fire when Lindsey would sing "Monday Morning you sure look fine"
Old 09-21-2023, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Wish they wouldhave tried to hide the fact that Oh Diane was a single.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-21-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Hate you!
Old 09-21-2023, 06:26 PM

And wow, is Stevie ever beautiful in this still.