Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-14-2023, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fascinating anecdote about Tusk

I just came across this quote from Ken Caillat that explained the story behind Save Me a Place that I had never heard before. Very touching.

Ken Caillat: “Save Me a Place was one of the special moments of Tusk when the band gathered in the control room to listen to a rough mix after the session's long day. Somehow the vulnerable vibe of the song had managed to heal all the bad feelings that accompanied his exile of the band. We had dimmed the lights down to a minimum and just sat there with drinks in hand to listen.
The mood turned from relaxed to melancholic and a wave of sadness crossed the room as the last sounds of the songs faded away. Lindsey was in tears, leading to Christine’s weeping as well. The rest of us just sat in silence, observing the feelings that were embracing us all. No words were spoken, but it was clear that what had seized us all was a fragile Lindsey pleading through this confessional hymn not to be forgotten or left out by this family that was his own, too. Christine got up and walked over and gave Lindsey a big hug.
I still keep this memory as one of the highest points in the making of Tusk.”
Old 10-14-2023, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I just came across this quote from Ken Caillat that explained the story behind Save Me a Place that I had never heard before. Very touching.

Ken Caillat: “Save Me a Place was one of the special moments of Tusk when the band gathered in the control room to listen to a rough mix after the session's long day. Somehow the vulnerable vibe of the song had managed to heal all the bad feelings that accompanied his exile of the band. We had dimmed the lights down to a minimum and just sat there with drinks in hand to listen.
The mood turned from relaxed to melancholic and a wave of sadness crossed the room as the last sounds of the songs faded away. Lindsey was in tears, leading to Christine’s weeping as well. The rest of us just sat in silence, observing the feelings that were embracing us all. No words were spoken, but it was clear that what had seized us all was a fragile Lindsey pleading through this confessional hymn not to be forgotten or left out by this family that was his own, too. Christine got up and walked over and gave Lindsey a big hug.

Beautiful! I love it.
Old 10-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if at that moment they played in a different, slower rhythm.
Reading the lyrics, yes that song may be very touching, but listening the Tusk version album, it doesn't wake any emotional feeling in me.

It's similar to Say Goodbye. Listening the album version is not emotional to me. But the way Lindsey sang it in the 2005 Sound Stage... wow I like far more that version. It is so touching!
Old 10-14-2023, 10:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Very cool! Where did you find this quote?
Old 10-15-2023, 06:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Very cool! Where did you find this quote?
It showed up on my FB page, but I’m quite certain it originally appeared in Get Tusked by Ken. That was the book he wrote about the making of Tusk. It’s definitely worth a read.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
It showed up on my FB page, but I’m quite certain it originally appeared in Get Tusked by Ken. That was the book he wrote about the making of Tusk. It’s definitely worth a read.
I've been eying "Get Tusked" for a long time and will likely purchase that book very soon. Yesterday, I was listening to an interview with Ken Caillat and engineer Hernan Rojas where they primarily discuss the making of ''Tusk''. During the interview, they touched upon the difficulties of working with Lindsey, the making of "Sara", and the recording of the marching band on the title track.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7710494-...r-and-engineer
Old 10-15-2023, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
I've been eying "Get Tusked" for a long time and will likely purchase that book very soon. Yesterday, I was listening to an interview with Ken Caillat and engineer Hernan Rojas where they primarily discuss the making of ''Tusk''. During the interview, they touched upon the difficulties of working with Lindsey, the making of "Sara", and the recording of the marching band on the title track.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7710494-...r-and-engineer
This is very cool! thanks for posting this...never heard it before.

--Lis
Old 10-16-2023, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[/QUOTE]https://audioboom.com/posts/7710494-...r-and-engineer[/QUOTE]

Indeed, thanks for posting this link. Interesting to hear the story about the recording of the piano on Sara at 19:19. Always been a bit of a mystery to me.
Old 10-17-2023, 07:41 AM

Great post, I remember reading this. But, had forgotten about it.