Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Fender re-issued the Fender VI

For everyone dying to jam out on GM, you don't have to search high and low and pay a fortune for a vintage VI.

I always thought these were pretty cool.

They should create a PG signature edition, but seeing as Gibson couldn't get PG for their LP, it seems unlikely. Nevertheless, he took the VI to another universe on the live GM cuts.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always thought it was a bit strange that this instrument had a vibrato unit ,as the stress on it from 6 bass strings -all be it lighter than usual ones -must be imense. It must've been a night mare to keep in tune .I'm pretty sure that when I saw Peter play this (at the Lyceum 1970 ) there was no vibrato arm on the guitar, because I surely would have remembered if I'd seen him put his hand on it to bend the pitch!
I tried to make an addition to the Wikipedia entry about Peter Green ,in the section about Peter's equipment,saying that he used this instrument ,but it was pulled by some over zealous moderator type person, because I did not cite references, despite the fact that there are plenty of other facts in the artice which are un cited He also removed a comment I made about Peter using an Orange reverb and 4x12 Orange cabinets cause it was "Too technical "!!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Junior Ledgie

There are some photos out there of PG on stage with this as I recall.

You saw PG/FM live? You are a most fortunate one. He was already on the next phase of his journey as I reached concert going age (14 years old - started off with Deep Purple and Rory Gallagher).

I would have loved to see the OFM at the peak of their powers, but I just missed...

As far as the Fender VI goes, I'm guessing that most would have blocked out the vibrato although I recall Rory Gallagher saying that while he pretty much hated vibratos and removed the arm on his Strat, he felt that the sprung mechanism contributed to the unique tone of the guitar. (said that he had a hard tail but it didn't sound like his "sprung" Strat)

The springs on the VI must have been massive (or numerous.)

With the Wiki issue, can you reference another Wiki article?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Bass_VI

This article mentions PG's use of the VI.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianip View Post
T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Bass_VI

This article mentions PG's use of the VI.
Yes indeed it does ! but it's uncited, so if I was to use this as my proof The guy would( a) say it's not proof cause it's uncited and b) pull the entry in the article you indicated for that reason so I would be openning a can of worms! There is a pic of Peter on wicki playing the fender bass, but that isnt proof for this guy ,cause if you don't know , it looks like it could be some regular 6 string fender guitar !!

When I saw Peter playing it I'm sure he used it with a wah Wah pedal !
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=damianip;1074873]

With the Wiki issue, can you reference another Wiki article?

Do you mean what was the article to which I was trying to add info? It was simply the Wicki entry for PETER GREEN . If you go to that article, there is a way of going deeper into its history, and you can see what I added ,and why he says he removed it !